Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to improve your handwriting?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 11:29pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, this may be a stupid thread, but I'd love to have neat writing. As I'm 6th year, I realise that it may be a bit late to learn how to write neatly!

The problem is for the LC, you need to write fast, but you don't want to scrawl all over the page.

Is it possible to improve your handwriting so you are able to write neatly yet fast? I notice some people (mainly girls, strangely) can write very neatly, and just at the same speed as me!

Sorry for the stupid thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Write on every second line. Not a smart answer. Budding novelists who send their manuscripts into publishers for review have to do it in 'double space' and that's for typed manuscripts. Ok the publisher needs the space to write comments but it also makes it easier on the eye.

It won't improve your handwriting but it will make it easier on the examiner as he/she reads it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and always have neat writing (and pretty fast too) :o Maybe just try it slowly at first and then when you get used to it, speed it up. Try getting used to the time you'll have in the exam too because in most of them you'll be stuck for time. I guess it's just practise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I kind of have the same problem, I write neat enough, but it's borderline microscopic! Everyone tells me I need to write bigger, but it takes too much time and concentration to get my writing at a normal size...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Don't worry about neatness, and don't mind those girls, they are freakishly good at writing. I did my leaving last year and pretty much asked this exact question. The thing is that neatness isn't all that important as the examiner has to do their best to try and read the answer. One of my friends wrote in a scrawl, and had the worst writing I've ever seen, and he didn't get marked down because of it. So no need to be worrying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 220110

Make it BIGGER. Big messy writing is much easier to read than small messy writing!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the replies!

DancingQueen, congrats on your 1000th post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

So yea it's true that you don't need good handwriting but an examiner who has a qouta of exams to correct daily will probably get annoyed trying to read bad writing and therefore for things like english may be not only annoyed by your writing but also it will mess up the flow of your writing thus could possibly lose you marks

doesnt really sound fair but ah well, i personally have bad writing, i'm just gonna practice it nicely slowly and then get faster hopefully ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As someone who has corrected, illegible handwriting can often result in someone getting no marks for a section where they have obviously written 'something' but it can't be deciphered. The script is then sent on to another examiner, but if they have no more luck with it, it gets no marks.

I'm not trying to be smart, but if you can get yourself one of those old style copies for learning handwriting and practice for 15 minutes a day for a month or so, you will see a real difference. Get someone whose writing you find clear and easy to read to fill in the first line. It doesn't have to be copperplate, but it is easier and quicker to write 'joined up' rather than print.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I had the same problem last year, and with alot of pestering from a particular teacher I managed to fix it here is how.

Begin writing bigger and pay more attention to being neat make your writing more clear, at first it will slow you down but after about a month you will be back to normal speed.

Between different points in Geography and business etc leave a line. Give each point a heading and put it in a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

One of my friends had the same problem and she was told to write bigger, rounder and to try and put a small space between letters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

OK, this may be a stupid thread, but I'd love to have neat writing. As I'm 6th year, I realise that it may be a bit late to learn how to write neatly!

The problem is for the LC, you need to write fast, but you don't want to scrawl all over the page.

Is it possible to improve your handwriting so you are able to write neatly yet fast? I notice some people (mainly girls, strangely) can write very neatly, and just at the same speed as me!

Sorry for the stupid thread!

Dont apologise - this is one of the most sensible threads or questions i have seen on internet or in the media for a long time. I went back to do a degree at night a few years ago and had to grapple with that question as well. I tried consciousily to slow down my writing whilst answering exam questions - hard to do i know when you are under pressure ! It also made me try to cut out the waffle I might have indulged in and to restrict myself to the relevant.

Good luck.

Advertisement