Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama-so far..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    This whole "bipartisan" effort which is just the Democrats in the middle of the night.

Come on John, that's not an answer. Ever since the inauguration the Dems have been trying to get Republican votes. Just look at Olympia Snowe case during the Summer. Obama did pretty much everything he could to get her vote, and she still said no. Just like every other Republican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

kev9100 wrote: »
    Come on John, that's not an answer. Ever since the inauguration the Dems have been trying to get Republican votes. Just look at Olympia Snowe case during the Summer. Obama did pretty much everything he could to get her vote, and she still said no. Just like every other Republican.

Wow they one Republican [which doesn't say anything good about her] Seriously cut the bull**** "Its the Republicans fault" The Democrats failure to get anything done in regards to Healthcare is because their own haven't voted for it. That is a huge failure on the Democrats part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Yes, it is a huge failure on the Dems part as well. Their leadership in the Senate was especially weak and ineffective. Because of this, some of them are likely to lose their seats in 2010. Like they should.

However, it is incredibly disingenuous to say that the Republican's have not failed as well. If you want to fillibuster everything in sight, then you have to offer some solutions as well. So, what are the Republican' proposals? Lets look at this one, shall we?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/mar/27/robert-gibbs/republican-budget-proposal-lacks-numbers-revenues-/

Their budget proposal had no numbers in it. Let me say that again, it had no numbers in it. Is that the Party you want in Goverment? Really?

kev9100 wrote: »
    Yes, it is a huge failure on the Dems part as well. Their leadership in the Senate was especially weak and ineffective. Because of this, some of them are likely to lose their seats in 2010. Like they should.

However, it is incredibly disingenuous to say that the Republican's have not failed as well. If you want to fillibuster everything in sight, then you have to offer some solutions as well. So, what are the Republican' proposals? Lets look at this one, shall we?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/mar/27/robert-gibbs/republican-budget-proposal-lacks-numbers-revenues-/

Their budget proposal had no numbers in it. Let me say that again, it had no numbers in it. Is that the Party you want in Goverment? Really?

The people I want in Govt are ones that represent the people. D&Rs don't mean anything to me like they do to other people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

And you had 6-8 years of that under bush, did they represent the people?

About Obama OK one year in, people are a little deflated that he hasnt cured cancer or he hasnt managed to put a brand new chevy in eveyones driveway.

I think the expectation on him were waaaaay out of whack with what someone could do. Heck even Clinton and God himself (Reagan) had a tough first year or two.

I think the health care thing has damaged him. He has put so much effort and political capital into something that may now be thrown out to the wolves. I can see why he did it. It made sense at the time. The dems with a super majority and a new mandate in the white house which now could have changed something in the system and reduce costs for everyone. But it was too big even for Obama.
    If the economy was like it was in 2005 or even 2001 then it would have passed easily but people just got spoked by government interference in their lives and jobs were on peoples minds. However the health care system is still broke so he could still rescue something out of this in the next few months. It cant go on like that forever as its killing people, literally.

The economy well he was given a worse economy than anyone since FDR. To expect that to turn around in 12 months is ridiculous. It is going to take years to not only get the economy up and running again but to re-engineer the whole thing. The world has changed and the easy jobs and money is just not there anymore. Bills have to be paid and the American consumer has cut back alot. Jobs will then follow one would expect. Again people got spooked by the bailouts and the stimulus plan but then it went to hyper drive. But what would one rather, a larger deficit or another great recession with 25%+ out of work. People complaining about the medicine tasting bad but its saving their life... for now anyway. Cant have it both ways. Tough choices had to be taken and remember it was a republican president and the republican in charge of the fed who started it all off.

This year will be interesting but the perception on him has to change or rather he has to change the perception about him. Anyway we will see what he gets up to.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    And you had 6-8 years of that under bush, did they represent the people?

Combative as usual I see. I never said Bush did so stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Seriously get over Bush already. He's gone and blaming him for Obama's out of control spending is stupid and petty. Obama and the Dems have spent enough in the last year to make Bush look like a penny pincher. You don't counter out of control spending with more out of control spending. It like parents used to teach their kids. "Two wrongs don't make a right."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Combative as usual I see. I never said Bush did so stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Seriously get over Bush already. He's gone and blaming him for Obama's out of control spending is stupid and petty. Obama and the Dems have spent enough in the last year to make Bush look like a penny pincher. You don't counter out of control spending with more out of control spending. It like parents used to teach their kids. "Two wrongs don't make a right."
    There is a big difference between literally blowing up your money and investing it in the economy so I don't think you can compare the two.

I think Obama is starting to get it that he is the boss and that he needs to dictate to congress not treat them as his partners because the democrats are not able to come to a consensus by themselves.

axer wrote: »
    There is a big difference between literally blowing up your money and investing it in the economy so I don't think you can compare the two.

Spending money Americans don't have is still stupid no matter the intent or where its supposedly going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Bush is totally relevant when discussing Obama's term so far. Its not like he starts from scratch for each new President. A massive deficit and two wars is a pretty big thing to be taking on.

Also what with this Obama blaming Bush all the time thing. Any links to quotes where he is blaming Bush? I'm sure he has done it but "all the time"? Sounds like one of those right wing memes that get repeated often enough they start to sound true.

20Cent wrote: »
    Bush is totally relevant when discussing Obama's term so far. Its not like he starts from scratch for each new President. A massive deficit and two wars is a pretty big thing to be taking on.

Also what with this Obama blaming Bush all the time thing. Any links to quotes where he is blaming Bush? I'm sure he has done it but "all the time"? Sounds like one of those right wing memes that get repeated often enough they start to sound true.

If you had bothered you can probably his speeches online. Yes he does blame Bush quite frequently. If you can't deal with that then that is your problem not mine.

Obama has been President for over a year now. It is his deficit and his responsibility. I know personal responsibility isn't a virtue for you left wingers [see how easy that is to throw out there] but it is for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8507168.stm

What do ye make of this? Seems a little too similar to the "weapons of mass destruction" claims the Bush administration made to justify the invasion of Iraq to me. Or am I probably completely mistaken? I make no claim to be very well informed in this area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If you had bothered you can probably his speeches online. Yes he does blame Bush quite frequently. If you can't deal with that then that is your problem not mine.

Obama has been President for over a year now. It is his deficit and his responsibility. I know personal responsibility isn't a virtue for you left wingers [see how easy that is to throw out there] but it is for the rest of us.

Like the personal responsibility that makes you lie to avail of free health care instead of being... you know, personably responsible for your own health care/insurance...... THAT kind of personal responsibility? Oh OK I get it now...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

Baracks new look for 2010??? I like it.....

obama_afro.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Dwayne Dibley!?

NTM

Advertisement