Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all you rifle heads!

Options
  • 24-01-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

If you've got digital telly, the movie "Shooter" is just starting on E4+1.

Might interest the rifle heads here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Yeah its a nice childrens film!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

408 chaytac ,disco channel done a bit on the cal , off the top of my head the baldy guy hit a target at 2200 yds first shot and 600 at nite . might be wrong .

but i liked his dog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

So, do I take it that it's totally realistic, then?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 OldEyes

Very bad adaptation of a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Yeah its a nice childrens film!:rolleyes:

Some good tips on it, iv my empty coke bottle here, ready to make a mod:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

so, the rifle in the film is a 408 chaytac. very capable of taking that shot .at a mile 1,760yds.

carlos hathcock had a kill in Vietnam at 2,500yds with a 50cal mounted on a truck .
    35 years later only two confirmed kills over 2,500 yds have being made one by a american at 2,526 and Canadian sniper had a kill also in afghanistan at 2,657yds .i think it was the third shot he had the kill with ,so he walked the bullet into the target.

both with 50cal rifles .

Shooter is the greatest load of clap trap ever. You should have posted this thread in the air-soft section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Every time I see a so called 'sniper' closing his eye to take a shot, I cringe :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I have to close one eye or I get strange defects in my vision. Maybe all snipers have the same problem :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Merging the two threads.
    And for the record, the hardest thing to believe about that film isn't the shooting, it's Wahlberg :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

kowloon wrote: »
    I have to close one eye or I get strange defects in my vision. Maybe all snipers have the same problem :D.
    Wear a blinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

rrpc wrote: »
    Wear a blinder?

Might buy some adhesive eyepatches until the left eye takes over properly.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Some good tips on it, iv my empty coke bottle here, ready to make a mod:D

Cool all you need now is a gun!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

Ithought that the m200 was .448cal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Sparks wrote: »
    Merging the two threads.

Thanks for that Sparks.
    I initially posted twice so that as many as possible would see the message quickly, but there's no ongoing need for two threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    carlos hathcock had a kill in Vietnam at 2,500yds with a 50cal mounted on a truck .

Slight correction.It was a 50 Cal Browning machine gun with a USMC issue Unertel scope mounted on a tripod from a sandbagged emplacement!!
    taken from Hathcocks autobiography "Marine Sniper."

Still the Canadians might have the longest shot with a 50 cal.
    USMC still holds the record with a 7.62 bolt action at 1250 meters [1367 yards] in Fallujah 2006,done by a Stff Sgt Jim Gilliand.Good ol Alabama boy who has hunted since he was five!!:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Bringining things more up to date, the longest recorded rifle shot in history is 3,125 yards or 1.78 miles on a prairie dog..anyone know who did it?;)

Was it Bruce Artus? I seem to remember something about that from a book I read a few years back called "Precision Shooting at 1,000 yards".

Bringining things more up to date, the longest recorded rifle shot in history is 3,125 yards or 1.78 miles on a prairie dog..anyone know who did it?;)
    Have we ruled out suicide? Prairie dogs are notoriously depressed y'know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

OldEyes wrote: »
    Was it Bruce Artus? I seem to remember something about that from a book I read a few years back called "Precision Shooting at 1,000 yards".

Nearly right Oldeyes but you are on the nail with the source of the information, it was his shooting partner Kreg Slack, using a 338 lapua and a 300 grain sierra bullet on the 31 st may 2000 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have we ruled out suicide? Prairie dogs are notoriously depressed y'know.

They are organised and fighting back.

633963093524450070-prairiedog.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    They are organised and fighting back.

633963093524450070-prairiedog.jpg

Ah, here now. You know we don't talk about the use of firearms in self-defence here :D

Ah, here now. You know we don't talk about the use of firearms in self-defence here :D

You're right, thats why i choose a picture of an AMERICAN prairie dog, and not the elusive Irish one so its a moot point. :P:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

If he's american, why's he wearing a german military surplus helmet?
    And besides, they tunnel. They might strike anywhere!

If he's american, why's he wearing a german military surplus helmet?

They are in militia form at the moment, so they still get there supplies from "JimBob's Shootin Shak".

And besides, they tunnel. They might strike anywhere!

And people say i'm mad for having steel floors. Who's laughing now, eh?

ezridax wrote: »
    And people say i'm mad for having steel floors. Who's laughing now, eh?
    Not this guy, though he wasn't expecting prairie dogs...

caddyshack.jpg

Nearly right Oldeyes but you are on the nail with the source of the information, it was his shooting partner Kreg Slack, using a 338 lapua and a 300 grain sierra bullet on the 31 st may 2000 :)

That’s right, he hit it on the third shot. I'm leafing through the book right now. There’s a great picture of Bruce with his .308 Ackley Improved and those crazy mounts beside the gong they set up, 3,120 yards away. For those who haven’t read the book, here’s an extract about the shot:

“The morning of May 31st, 2000 dawned clear and calm out on the prairie east of Pueblo. Kreg Slack and his significant other, Nadine Parry, were sitting on Kreg’s bench atop a low weathered mesa overlooking a shallow valley that rose up to a prairie dog town over 1 and ¾ miles distant. Nadine was acting as spotter that day, as Bruce was at the shop working. As Kreg made some final adjustments to his equipment, the rising sun brought life to the prairie. Dozens of prairie dogs scurried to and fro around the 16” gong Kreg was preparing to shoot at. Better conditions could not have been asked for that morning, with not even the slightest hint of a breeze to affect projectile flights.
    Nadine peered through a Premier-boosted Leupold scope set atop another varmint rifle, as Kreg chambered a cartridge in his .338 Lapua. The big, sleek 300 grain Sierra patiently awaited its opportunity as Kreg settled into position for a shot. When all was right he took in a breath, held it, and began to apply just the slightest hint of pressure to the trigger. But just before it tripped, Kreg noticed a prairie dog adjacent to the gong sitting contentedly atop his mound.
    Sensing an opportunity, he instructed Nadine to turn her attention to the dog as it stood out boldly in the morning sun. A moment later the trigger tripped and the big Sierra was off and running. More than a few seconds later it struck downrange several feet from its intended target. The dog maintained his vigilance on top of the mound utterly oblivious to what had just occurred. A moment later, after the appropriate adjustments were made, another Sierra was launched downrange striking now only a foot or so from its intended target. As the prairie dog look around inquisitively, trying to figure out what had just happened, Kreg made just the slightest of adjustments, and sent the third and final Sierra downrange. As the bullet descended towards earth the unfortunate fellow was struck amidships propelling him several feet into the air. He came to rest a few feet behind and to the side of his mound. The shot was measured with a laser rangefinder at 3,125 yards or 1.78 miles – the longest recorded rifle shot in history so far.”

Advertisement