Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC connection -Which router?

• 24-01-2010 12:54am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of switching to UPC for broadband and phone.

What router are they currently supplying? I know of two people who have recently switched and they both got different routers.

Is there a policy on whether you get the Cisco 2425 or cable modem + Netgear 614? Can you ask for one over the other? Or is it just whatever the technician has in the back of the van at the time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

As of October last year when I got mine in, the higher packages get a Cisco all-in-one piece of crap 'free' wireless router.

I asked the tech nicely and he gave me a Scientific Atlanta modem instead that does nothing fancy and just bridges my router onto the internet. Rock solid reliable piece of kit - the simpler the better I think. Would recommend the same to anyone wanting more than simple web browsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have the Cisco one, I asked for the other when it was being installed in November but was told all they have now are the Ciscos. It works great, no problems at all. I don't see where everyone else is coming from saying they are crap and don't work.

I have 3 laptops, a PC, a 360 and PS3 all using it at the same time, no fuss. Connecting it all up was childs play. Just click connect, enter the WPA code, walla. Whats the big deal people are having I don't know.

Everything is running off the wireless and its rock solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Captain Chaos - Glad to hear you had a better experience than I did.

The SciA modem for me was plug and play - my router DHCP'd properly off it first time, and it doesn't interfere with any traffic, leaving me to choose and configure a router as I see fit.

I recently replaced my folks' Eircon connection with a UPC one, and they got issued the Cisco. To start with, the thing resets itself and forgets your settings periodically during configuration. Then, a week after I had it set up right, it resets itself again to factory defaults.

I'm not sure what it does with ICMP... I didn't even go there, but there are many posts on here from people who couldn't get a traceroute going. Fortunately, that didn't matter to my folks.

Then the locking down of all the signal information, making it harder to troubleshoot problems yourself (as believe me, you don't want to rely on UPC for that, unless you'd like to be told to turn it off and on again 20 times and that everything appears fine).

And finally, when I could write a better user interface (and I haven't written HTML in five years, and never was very good at it) it leads me to distrust stuff.

I think if what you do is mostly in a browser window, then it'll do the job. And it's pleasing to hear that games consoles work too, as I hear they can be tricky.

If you're a nerd like me who wants to know everything about their connection, and play around with QoS on their own router to get torrenting and browsing working just right together, then get the SciA modem and use your own router.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

the_law wrote: »
    If you're a nerd like me who wants to know everything about their connection, and play around with QoS on their own router to get torrenting and browsing working just right together, then get the SciA modem and use your own router.
    Pretty much sums me up.

I have my own DDWRT 54G that I'll be using for my own network.

I could then use the Netgear as a WDS client to replace the 54Gs current role of wireless bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I have the Cisco one, I asked for the other when it was being installed in November but was told all they have now are the Ciscos..

I got mine installed in November as well on 10Mbps package was given scientific Atlanta modem and netgear router. Haven't had a problem with them at all, more than I can say for the speeds at the moment :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

in the ntl manual its saying all this stuff about ip address an all like an someone said they clicked connect an put in the WPA Key an it worked can u do dat with the cisco router an its wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

Captain chaos, wat speed do u hav?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

On Monday last I was connected to NTL Broadband 30Mb package.

I have 3 Xbox in the house and we all play online together.
    When I was with Eircom the connection was slow but we could all play together. Now that Im on NTL we just can't get a game at all.

Every-time we try join a game as a party we get kicked.
    I have tried to setup port forwarding as requested by XBox live but it has no effect.

Today I tried to join my sons game and every time I did I got kicked.

I am at the verge of giving the whole service back. Only trouble is, if I am playing on my own I get a great score and the faster broadband has made every game much better.

I have the following NTL Router:
    Cisco EPC2425

I also have a Netgear DG834N router.

Is it possible to disable all the features on the NTL router and use the Netgear Router. If this is possible then how do I do it.

Before I give it back I would like to try having the Netgear modem run everything as before.

When using my NTL 30Mb connection on my PC it absolutely rips along.

Please help, this is driving me nuts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

jetpack101 wrote: »
    On Monday last I was connected to NTL Broadband 30Mb package.

I have 3 Xbox in the house and we all play online together.
    When I was with Eircom the connection was slow but we could all play together. Now that Im on NTL we just can't get a game at all.

Every-time we try join a game as a party we get kicked.
    I have tried to setup port forwarding as requested by XBox live but it has no effect.

Today I tried to join my sons game and every time I did I got kicked.

I am at the verge of giving the whole service back. Only trouble is, if I am playing on my own I get a great score and the faster broadband has made every game much better.

I have the following NTL Router:
    Cisco EPC2425

I also have a Netgear DG834N router.

Is it possible to disable all the features on the NTL router and use the Netgear Router. If this is possible then how do I do it.

Before I give it back I would like to try having the Netgear modem run everything as before.

When using my NTL 30Mb connection on my PC it absolutely rips along.

Please help, this is driving me nuts.
    Try disabling the SPI firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 r3nm0r3RASCAL

My new cisco ntl router/wireless router is crap! always droping the connection and then i'm unable to connect for ages. :confused::confused::rolleyes::mad:

• Advertisement

type http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser, this will bring you into your router settings and disable the firewall

I have the netgear router that has a much better firewall then the cisco system.

Is it possible to disable the Fire wall on the cisco router and have the xboxes connected to that. Then enable the fire wall on the Netgear router and have the PC's connected to that??

How would I do this?

Jonathan wrote: »
    Try disabling the SPI firewall.

By turning of the firewall (I'm assuming you mean the one at SETUP>FIREWALL> FIREWALL PROTECTION and uncheck enable) would that not make my system more vulnerable.

I have a second Netgear router. I could turn off the fire wall and plug the 3 xbox in to the NTL Router while the 4 PC's could be connected to the Netgear Router and turn the firewall on on that!!

I just don't know how to get the two working together.

Sorry for double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi all. Have a WGR614 router here, and am looking to switch to UPC broadband (5mb, or maybe 15mb). Will this router be fine or do I have to shell out 50 yo yos to get one from them..? Ever only use the wireless for 2 laptops, maybe 3 at most. Thanks in advance ;)

CaSCaDe711

Update: WGR614v7

if you go for the 15Mb package you will get a free wireless router, but if not the one you have will work on the 5 mb package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    if you go for the 15Mb package you will get a free wireless router, but if not the one you have will work on the 5 mb package

Thanks for that. Was hoping I wouldn't have to discard a perfectly working router for another one after switching ISP. Will go for the 5mb option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Dont mean to hijack this thread but is upc issuing any new all in one cable and wireless modems any time soon? I dont mean the cisco ones obviously.

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Hi all. Have a WGR614 router here, and am looking to switch to UPC broadband (5mb, or maybe 15mb). Will this router be fine or do I have to shell out 50 yo yos to get one from them..? Ever only use the wireless for 2 laptops, maybe 3 at most. Thanks in advance ;)

CaSCaDe711

Update: WGR614v7

Tell them you DONT want a router from them just a standard modem to connect to the Cable broadband. The router they currently have is the Cisco EPC2425 and its rubbish If you are connecting more then one game console at any given time.

Just get a standard modem and take care of the routing yourself. If they try to install there Router then don't let them trust me. I am 4 weeks trying to get them to take out the cisco router as it is conflicting with my Linksys router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Dont mean to hijack this thread but is upc issuing any new all in one cable and wireless modems any time soon? I dont mean the cisco ones obviously.

At present, no. You have one choice only and that is the beautiful Cisco :rolleyes:

jetpack101 wrote: »
    Tell them you DONT want a router from them just a standard modem to connect to the Cable broadband. The router they currently have is the Cisco EPC2425 and its rubbish If you are connecting more then one game console at any given time.

Just get a standard modem and take care of the routing yourself. If they try to install there Router then don't let them trust me. I am 4 weeks trying to get them to take out the cisco router as it is conflicting with my Linksys router.

They still have Netgear and Scientific Atlanta as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    They still have Netgear and Scientific Atlanta as well.

You have to insist on the Scientific Atlanta as they want to push the Cisco out to everybody regardless. When ordering you have to make it clear you only want the SA and prepare to not take no as an answer.

Advertisement