Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa 156 Headlamps failed tonight

• 24-01-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Just driving home from work tonight and all of a sudden my headlamps failed. They are working in the high beam but nothing in the dipped position. Luckily i limped home with sidelights and front fog lights. I dont think its a fuse problem as from what i can make out in the manual there is seperate left and right fuses for each light?

Could it be a relay?

Not 100% sure where the relays are though?

Id love to hear any suggestions

Ive a 156 lusso 04

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You're probably right. It would be unusual for both lights to be on the same fuse.

I've owned a few Fiats/Aflas in the past and the build quality is not the best. Lots of positives, but build quality is not one of them. I'm not sure where the relays are, but you could try under the bonnet. I had a Fiat Coupe at one stage and the main relays were under a black cover in the engine bay. There were graphics beside each relay so you could determine what it was for.

The other thing to consider is some type of surge that blew both bulbs. Unlikely, but it could happen. If the relay thing doesn't check out, it may be worth getting a bulb to see if the bulbs are blown.

I love Italian cars as they are great to drive, but they do try your patience at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Thanks, theres a few different places for fuses and relays in a 156. Under the sterring collum, in the glovebox, under the bonnet! The manual isnt to imformative! Are relays all the same, so could i try a horn relay in the slot for the headlamps to see if thats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

You'll get an answer here pretty quickly

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Its worth a go at the bulbs on the very off chance you didnt notice one was gone for some time and now the other joined it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, get new bulbs and see. You need new ones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

relays are beside the battery close to the air box hose. You should see a small black removable cover.

As others have said I'd double check the bulbs first. there are easy to remove in 156's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

As others have said I'd double check the bulbs first. there are easy to remove in 156's

Depends which bulb!

For the dips/parking lights, you'd need the hands of a double-jointed midget! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

For the dips/parking lights, you'd need the hands of a double-jointed midget! :D
    Yup, and rhino skin on your forearms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

LOL I've managed to change mine a few times now and only managed to scuff my knuckles once :-)

Switch me thinks is a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

yes it was both bulbs! My neighbour had a electric meter, so after we swaped the relay (Under sterring wheel next to fuse box) we tested the bulb holder and there was power there. The drivers side was a nightmare to change, the passenger side was easy as there space to get hands in!

Thanks for the link to the alfa owners forum.

Advertisement