Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midnight blackbird?

• 24-01-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

OK, there's a blackbird outside, singing its head off at the moment. Is it nuts? Confused? On drugs?

The only thing I can think of is that the streetlights through the fog are making it think it's dawn. Is that likely, or are my original guesses of a mad drug addled blackbird more likely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Although some wildlife has been seen drunk and disorderly after eating fermented berries, what you describe is normal enough now in urban/suburban environments - anywhere with artificial light. A natural reaction to an unnatural dawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

I've often heard birds singing at 3am in the city. I think they were blackbirds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Happens up my way regular, the wife think's i'm mad cause I open the bedroom window to listen to them, well it's better than counting sheep.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Robins will sing at night under artificial light too - they have a wonderful song, and it used to be one of the pleasures of my late-night dog walk when I lived in the UK near a traffic island.

Advertisement