Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPs Renovation

Options
  • 24-01-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Anybody know about this? Would love to have an idea of what there actually doing to the place, a lot of hearsay going around thought a boardsie might have some proper insider information.

Only thing I have heard is there will be a bar in the smoking area (again, cant confirm this)

I have emailed cps about writing an article of what to expect from the place so if they email me back ill let ye know! In the mean time, anybody gots any info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Heard that it's to re-open sometime in February and that there will be a bar in the smoking area too.

Probably untrue but I heard that there is going to be a second floor added, probably bull$hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I still wouldn't go near that utter hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

I'v heard the top quiet room [ Very top floor ] is now a smoking area...

And according to the bouncers, won't be opening til March!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 technoman

Is this place gonna be open for NUIG College week, It's the week after next and the management have kept the public well in the dark about refurbishment details. If thay opened for college week they'd be raking it in. Does anyone actually know anything about what it's gonna be like, tonnes of rumors around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Heard Skinner said the bar staff are gonna crack soon purple monkey dishwasher

• Advertisement

Heard a few rumors about it myself and I like the sound of a few of them, like it might be over 23's. Looking forward to it opening anyway see what they do with the place. We lived in the place during college but it just got too "young" lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's a kip full of coke heads and gob****es and it always will be.

People say GPO and Kennedys are sketchy but I've never been offered drugs in either.

One night in CP's I was offered coke for sale by 4 different people, and it was a ****ing thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Seaneh wrote: »

One night in CP's I was offered coke for sale by 4 different people, and it was a ****ing thursday!

I'm a Pepsi man myself so will be staying clear of that establishment and it's apparant pushy barstaff.

People say GPO and Kennedys are sketchy but I've never been offered drugs in either.

I was in cp's once a week or more for almost 4 years of college and was never offered any drug. Never had any trouble there and had many fantastic nights there, some great memory's (or lack of memory :D). I was in the gpo once ever, enough said.

Thinking of this is making me wish I was back in undergrad hitting cp's every thurs night.

I was in cp's once a week or more for almost 4 years of college and was never offered any drug. Never had any trouble there and had many fantastic nights there, some great memory's (or lack of memory :D). I was in the gpo once ever, enough said.

Thinking of this is making me wish I was back in undergrad hitting cp's every thurs night.

Did exactly the same thing when I was in college, was never offered drugs once.

Was chatting to a mate about the old CPs recently, does anyone remember the old mankey, smelly carpet that they used to have there? One fine evening one of my friends licked it for a dare!

Good times, feel so old now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Huh? :confused: Times must have really changed. I practically lived in the GPO back in the late 90's and the place was full of drugs, everyone and anyone was off their heads on something or another.CP's on the other hand was drug free, full of pishheads but sure whatever floats your boat, can't imagine that place being a cokeheads hangout?:cool:

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Did exactly the same thing when I was in college, was never offered drugs once.

Was chatting to a mate about the old CPs recently, does anyone remember the old mankey, smelly carpet that they used to have there? One fine evening one of my friends licked it for a dare!

Good times, feel so old now!

Yeah I remember it well. It was only noticeable after the smoking ban though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Can't see them 'raking' it in if they have their old drink prices and entry costs.
    Granted, people will get drunk before going into town but with GPO/Cuba/Club K having drink/entry promos all the time they will need something pretty special to pull the crowds back there and a new smoking area just wouldnt cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Bar in the smoking area is a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I remember it well. It was only noticeable after the smoking ban though!
    I was in there after the ban and had to leave after less than a pint, the stench was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

KevR wrote: »
    Bar in the smoking area is a stupid idea.
    Is it not illegal, if there's someone working in the bar then that is their work area and it is supposed to be smoke free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Is it not illegal, if there's someone working in the bar then that is their work area and it is supposed to be smoke free

That's what I thought at first but on further reflection I'm not too sure. Sean's Bar in Athlone have a huge smoking area with a bar..

Does the smoke free working area law apply to everywhere or just indoor areas?

There is a bar in the smoking area in O'Connells so it must be allowed. I wouldn't mind having a bar in the smoking area but as I quit smoking it doesn't really bother me either way.

I suppose if the smoking area is considered to be outside then someone working in the bar would be considered to be outside too. Trying to enforce the smoking ban "outside" would be a nightmare as you are either outside or not. For instance someone working outside on the street may have to work in an area where people are legally smoking so what would be the difference between this and someone working behind a bar in a smoking area?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

isent the working area an enclosed space? like has 4 walls and a roof. The Queens in Ennis has a bar in the smoking area, a pretty big one at that. and that smoking area is covered aswell...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Some people were offered drugs in a club? O noes!! Either buy them and enjoy your night or say no and stick to the rip off CPs drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 technoman

Great apparently this place is opening in April, would want to be good now after like 6 months......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I guess that strong room they built for hiding the cash from the taxman is now redundant:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

This is what they've done...
    http://www.centralparkclub.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

hmm wonder do they have permission to use that song?

i wont be supporting these tax dodgers anyways, hopefully more people will agree and boycott this place but alas i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I'm unaware of copyright laws, but i think a certain amount of a song is allowed to be used until it has to be paid for, i.e 30 seconds or 20 seconds.

what reasoning do you have that they are tax dodgers?

Columc wrote: »
    what reasoning do you have that they are tax dodgers?

This

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

you have to pay for whatever song you use no matter how long the clip is.
    I found this out the hard way making radio ads!

Looking forward to this opening, place looks very cool in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Is the open date set for 3rd April, that's what I heard anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Looks abysmal.

Advertisement