Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ianmc38 MSN + MB Hacked - No Money Swaps

Options
  • 24-01-2010 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ian asked me to post this.

He hasn't control over his MSN (hotmail email address) or Moneybookers.

Do NOT do a money transfer with him until this is cleared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Sick, hopefully not much damage is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Ugh. GL Ian with getting this sorted out, and hopefully the damage is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Ouch. Everyone get cracking changing passwords if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Is that directly due to boards thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Seems unlikely, but cant be 100% - Be sure to change passwords anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

No idea how it happened. Boards seems unlikely, but can't be ruled out. I know my pw was the same for boards as MSN, but i've no idea how they would get my MSN address and know I use Moneybookers. Seems far more likely the problem lies elsewhere.

My MB account was emptied to 5 different accounts on the 22nd over a 2 hour period.

Not sure what the situation is. Moneybookers have frozen the accounts in question but they didnt tell me how much if any is recoverable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

ianmc38 wrote: »
    No idea how it happened. Boards seems unlikely, but can't be ruled out. I know my pw was the same for boards as MSN, but i've no idea how they would get my MSN address and know I use Moneybookers. Seems far more likely the problem lies elsewhere.

My MB account was emptied to 5 different accounts on the 22nd over a 2 hour period.

Not sure what the situation is. Moneybookers have frozen the accounts in question but they didnt tell me how much if any is recoverable.

Thats fcukin sick man.Hope it works out ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

ugh, sickness. good luck with the recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It takes at least 24hours for a bank withdrawl to deposit from an online source so you should be safe. Did they then forward the funds to any other sources? Not sure how MB works but could they have paid for goods straight away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

That is pretty ****ty Ian hope it all works out ok. It will be interesting to see how MB handle this as i looked for information on it previosuly but could not find anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

just saw a post in feedback from someone saying their paypal account that had the same password as boards was compromised.

Well they were nice enough to leave me 37 cent.

Also the guy added this email address to my Moneybookers:

youare.pawned@live.com

Still using my MSN so beware that's not me in case he is online and looking for swaps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Ian you probably know it but your msn is available to anybody reg'd on boards, just under your avatar. Sick, I hope this turn outs ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Well they were nice enough to leave me 37 cent.

Also the guy added this email address to my Moneybookers:

youare.pawned@live.com

Still using my MSN so beware that's not me in case he is online and looking for swaps etc.

That's fking sick Ian. Hope you can get it sorted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

my boards acc password was changed

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Ugh! Shyte! UL Ian. Hope the damage isn't too bad.

I don't think people should be ruling out boards too quickly as the source of the attack. It can be easily assumed that if somebody is going to put in the time and effort to attack boards, that they have done their homework and "reconned" the site for targets.

The poker forum is where the juiciest victims are to be found, and it doesn't take long to figure out which of the forum posters within poker are the juiciest. Unfortunately for Ian he would rank highly on that table (although I wish I could say the same!). If the hackers were able to crack full passwords, I'm afraid that you can be pretty sure, Ian, that you were one of their first targets.

Moral of the story, update your passwords folks and try to avoid duplication. Password managers being the ideal solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I seen a few posts popping up in relation to other people getting various accounts compromised so I don't think its that much of a stretch. Afaik they got all info relating to accounts in the hack so they would have your email from your contact info. Do you use the same email for MB cause then it would just be a case of searching your mail for MB emails.

Really sh*tty stuff, hopefully it can be sorted.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I had some funny stuff going on with passwords and the like on a couple of my accounts immediately after the attack on boards.

Thankfully all monies intact but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that this whole hacking debacle was done to specifically target poker forum users.

Fingers crossed you get it all sorted Ian.

I've secured all the major ones now anyway. Now it's just a matter of waiting and hoping they can get some of the money back. Will know tomorrow what's recoverable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Did you send 2 emails on the 22nd re cousins list? 1 about the men who stares at goats and another about receiving spam from cousins list?

Just wondering if there's any danger to anyone that opened these mails

• Advertisement

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Did you send 2 emails on the 22nd re cousins list? 1 about the men who stares at goats and another about receiving spam from cousins list?

Opening an email is fine, they don't look like SPAM anyway. I work in online fraud so can probaly guess how they got in. Depending how quick it was spotted the money should be fine. How long does a withdrawl normally take with Money Bookers?

Just reading the T&C's on the site in relation to liability, firstly it states
    6.2. If you have any indication or suspicion of your login details, password or other security feature being lost, stolen, misappropriated, used without authorisation or otherwise compromised, you should change your password and you must contact Customer Service immediately. Any undue delay in notifying us may not only affect the security of your Account but may result in you being liable for any losses as a result

Then it goes onto state in section 16 about the liability clause, might be some €50 admin fee.
    16.1.1. where the unauthorised payment arises from your failure to keep the personalised security features of your Account safe in accordance with section 6 in which case you shall remain liable for the first 50 EUR (or equivalent in the currency of your Account);
    16.1.2. if you fail to promptly notify to us any loss of your password or other event that could reasonably be expected to have compromised the security of your Account after you have gained knowledge of such event and you shall remain liable for losses incurred up to your notification to us;

What you will have to factor in is their 'reasonable time' so I hope you notified them within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

[quote=[Deleted User];64143739]Opening an email is fine, they don't look like SPAM anyway. I work in online fraud so can probaly guess how they got in. Depending how quick it was spotted the money should be fine. How long does a withdrawl normally take with Money Bookers?[/QUOTE]

Just on emails, how can clicking dodgy links on emails hurt you.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Flushdraw wrote: »

That was Ian. His gmail is fine.

Clicking on unknown links in emails to non trusted websites is definitely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Sucks balls hope everything goes ok from now on.

FullOf..IT wrote: »
    Just on emails, how can clicking dodgy links on emails hurt you.

Hidden .exe files in the links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Vamos

Sick Ian, hope you get all your cash back.

A bit late to say this but for anyone who doesn't know, moneybookers have a security token option now (similar to stars + tilts token) which should more or less prevent hacks.
    Got mine during the week after noticing the option in the "Security Centre" link on the left menu. Not sure if it's just for vip members or everyone but it's worth mailing them and requesting it if not.

Got my Hotmail/MSN back this morning. One of the emails he was forwarding to was
    dhint*aana.net which is on the same IP as a number of Russian Warez sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

You'd kill the little bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

That sucks Ian, hope you get your funds back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭72over

UL Ian, absolute bastards. Been away for a few days...just arrived back this morn n tried logging on to boards via my phone but no dice. I presumed I'd just forgotten my pw as I use different pw's for everything online. After reading this thread earlier it gave me some fright. I didn't realize but I have a different email reg'd here than I have with poker companies, moneybookers etc and all is grand thankfully.

As already mentioned, everyone should update their pw's, not duplicate and prob best to have an alternative email too.

GL Ian

Advertisement