Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ianmc38 MSN + MB Hacked - No Money Swaps

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Looks like Moneybookers have managed to get the funds back. Sent me an email to say the money had been returned to my account and that I need to do a few security checks to reopen it and access funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭72over

Love happy endings! N1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

That's great news. Do you know how they got your MB password from your boards and MSN password? Or is this unrelated to what happened to boards?

Also, MB offer a security token these days. Email them about it if they haven't already offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Zab wrote: »
    That's great news. Do you know how they got your MB password from your boards and MSN password? Or is this unrelated to what happened to boards?

Also, MB offer a security token these days. Email them about it if they haven't already offered.

Basically what happened is my boards and MSN passwords were the same. Once they took control of my hotmail account, they changed the password, then changed the email address that I was forwarding mail to (never use hotmail). They also changed the secret question information and my location info to make it impossible for me to reset my password.

Once they had my email they simply filled in the password reset on Moneybookers. I assume my hotmail or somewhere else had my date of birth because they would have needed that to make transfers in Moneybookers.

It's not 100% that it was because of the boards infiltration. I found a few trojans on my laptop but it would be odd for them to only access my moneybookers when i had money in other places as well that they could have accessed.

Anyway, I've updated all my security on the laptop so something like this will hopefully never happen again.

If anyone else is interested, there's an excellent ten part series on Youtube done by a poster from 2+2.

First episode is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppyb_5Oy33U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Ah, when you said MSN I was thinking messenger not Hotmail. It makes sense more sense if they have access to your email account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement