Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats with all the odd jobs been done around LIT?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed that there are always a handful on workmen doing various jobs, as in adding new stuff to the college everyday. For instance, the college seems to be spending a budget surplus on anything they can find to do, like a new sign post or a new double yellow line (the old one not been yellow enough), etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah I noticed...and then they turn around and tell us that our budget has been cut and we can't have a storeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Ya and a bloody tv thats not being used over the entrance beside the bank...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jme467

While I completely agree with what is being said here, I think it's worth noting that there is not just one big pot of money in the college.

Having had to attend meetings involving this kinda thing I now understand that the budget is set out at the start of the year, with the college being allocated 'X' amount of money for each area. This is, for the most part, a fixed amount which cannot be extended (although I'm positive the numbers can be played around within departments). And if, at the end of the year, there is money left over, the college will simply lose out on it. Hence the extra coats of paint etc. They're just using up the money so as not to lose out on it.

It's a case of 'If you don't use it, you lose it!'.. With Mars Bar's example, the storeman is part of a different pot of money to (for example) the ridiculous windows that have been put in on the doors within Block 15

It's just the way the system is I'm afraid. It the same across the board when it comes to the Government!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

they have spent one million euro on a mural in the new world academy of music and dance in u.l.

Advertisement