Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Age card

Options
  • 24-01-2010 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Yes I know there is numerous threads involving the age card.. but I'm slightly worried and have not yet found any hope :/

I applied for my age card almost 2 weeks ago and got a receipt from the garda station with a reference number which i can enter on the site.. But when I tried to enter the number it said the number is not recognised...?

The form said I should have my card within 3 weeks!

Can anybody enlighten me? [=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Danger781 wrote: »
    Yes I know there is numerous threads involving the age card.. but I'm slightly worried and have not yet found any hope :/

I applied for my age card almost 2 weeks ago and got a receipt from the garda station with a reference number which i can enter on the site.. But when I tried to enter the number it said the number is not recognised...?

The form said I should have my card within 3 weeks!

Can anybody enlighten me? [=
    Irish government websites are crap! Just wait the week and if you don't get it, then complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

jumpguy wrote: »
    Irish government websites are crap! Just wait the week and if you don't get it, then complain.

I wouldn't mind but I was kinda hoping to have it by next weekend.. Friends party so I was kinda hoping not to have to bring my passport..

Also I'm 8 years old in my passport so i dunno if I'd even get in with it XD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Danger781 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind but I was kinda hoping to have it by next weekend.. Friends party so I was kinda hoping not to have to bring my passport..

Also I'm 8 years old in my passport so i dunno if I'd even get in with it XD
    Ahh I see. Well at the end of next week it'll be 3 weeks. All things going well, you should get it. You don't have a driver's license or anything you can carry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I applied for mine on 2 December and it came in the post just after Christmas. The number on the card doesn't match the one that was on the receipt so I wasn't able to track it.

They really should accept the passport if it's still valid.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Ahh I see. Well at the end of next week it'll be 3 weeks. All things going well, you should get it. You don't have a driver's license or anything you can carry?

Never got around to applying for my provisional :P

Passport is the only option I have at the moment :( It got me served in a centra and in a restaurant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Well like if your 18 and your right birthday is on the passport what's the problem? I know it's shameful handing over a picture of yourself from when you're 8 but surely you haven't changed THAT much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I'm 9 in my passport photo and it's accepted everywhere.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Well like if your 18 and your right birthday is on the passport what's the problem? I know it's shameful handing over a picture of yourself from when you're 8 but surely you haven't changed THAT much?

Actually no I haven't changed much.. I just have a bigger head now! XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Gonna move this to C&H as it fits more in that forum.
    Hopefully you'll get it sometime during the week.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Good move KnifeWRENCH, quick thinking, gg etc...

I look like a convict in mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Mine took the best part of 6 weeks to arrive, as did cards for many of my friends, so best bet is just forget about it and let it take its time. At least you still have some form of ID with you, regardless of how young you are in your passport. Just show them some sort of student ID card with it and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mine took three months to get here. My local station only send them away in batches so they wait until they get a good few before they're sent off. It's ridiculous.

I also lost it about a month and a half later!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Yes it can take up to three months which is annoying but don't worry, I doubt it's lost! And you have a receipt. :)

It took 2 or 3 months for mine to come, although that was several years ago.

Also, I thought once you were under 18 passports only lasted 5 years, and not 10. It's unusual that you'd have a valid passport from such a young age for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Also, I thought once you were under 18 passports only lasted 5 years, and not 10. It's unusual that you'd have a valid passport from such a young age for so long.

The passport thing was only introduced about 5/6 years ago. Before that children had the option of getting a 2/3 year passport or a ten year one. Many got the ten year one cause it worked out cheaper. A lot of my friends still have them, they're 13/14 in the pic and will have to keep them for the next 4 years unless they lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I should get around to getting one of those, sick of lugging my passport around everywhere when I go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The day I got my Age Card, I got my Oxegen ticket as well.

What a day that was...

The passport is well out of date.. Expired a few years ago :rolleyes:
    burgess1 wrote: »
    I applied for mine on 2 December and it came in the post just after Christmas. The number on the card doesn't match the one that was on the receipt so I wasn't able to track it.

They really should accept the passport if it's still valid.

Well thats very handy.. Giving you a number and not being able to track it :P
    Gonna move this to C&H as it fits more in that forum.
    Hopefully you'll get it sometime during the week.

Ah sorry my bad. Wasn't sure where to put it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Have you not got a current passport? You're definitely not guaranteed of getting in using an expired passport.

Jay P wrote: »
    Have you not got a current passport? You're definitely not guaranteed of getting in using an expired passport.

Nope :( Which is why I'm annoyed at my garda ID not arriving sooner :eek:

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Mine took about 2 weeks, and the Garda said it would take up to 2 months!

This was about a year and half ago though.

They're just telling you estimates, i went down to get a police cert for a working visa for the Summer, the guy said it would take 6 weeks. It came after a week :D

You're just extremely lucky then :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

You can use the reciept of the AgeCard as a form of ID along with either a passport or a driving license. That's what I'm doing at the moment, applied for mine on the 19th. Never had any hassle when you show the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I was told 2 weeks, 6 weeks later it arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Took mine about 3 weeks, have heard of it taking several months though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

my age card took a good 6weeks to come. Never bothered looking it up on the website even though I was doubtful that it would ever come seeming the Guard didnt know how to fill in the form and left boxes he was meant to sign, empty. It came eventually though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I filled out the form when I turned 18 but said **** that when I realised it was a tenner...

Can't wait til I get a new passport this year, bouncers are being assholes about 15 y/o me looking nothing like 19 y/o me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

It took four months for my age card to come! I was getting into nightclubs with my birth-cert:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Im still waiting for mine four weeks after I applied for it. I was talking to the member of An Garda Siochana at the time and he said that it has to go to multiple places before it is sent out. Also with the bad weather there will probably be a back log of cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 technoman

I'm waiting 8 weeks for mine as of Monday, starting to get a tad annoyed here because I really want it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

I got mine in 2 and a half weeks :p

Advertisement