Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Age card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

You guys know this thread is really old and I got my age card months ago.. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Danger781 wrote: »
    You guys know this thread is really old and I got my age card months ago.. :rolleyes:

There are more people waiting for Age Cards besides you.
    There's no point in each of them starting a new thread just because you don't want to use yours any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

There are more people waiting for Age Cards besides you.
    There's no point in each of them starting a new thread just because you don't want to use yours any more.

Well.. Okay then.. Thanks for being abrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unknown13 wrote: »
    With a legitimate one no because they are impossible to forge.

This, they're ridiculous.

Mine has taking a bit of beating though, and is starting to look fake >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Fad wrote: »
    This, they're ridiculous.

Mine has taking a bit of beating though, and is starting to look fake >_<

Why is that though? Is it just that there isn't a market for fake age cards so no one makes them?

• Advertisement

Why is that though? Is it just that there isn't a market for fake age cards so no one makes them?

So so many security features!

So so many security features!

Would a passport not be the same?

Would a passport not be the same?

Card just seems more awkward to fake.

Actually, the old Irish passports are apparently really easy to fake.

Odd that. I suppose no matter what they do there are always going to be counterfeit passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sent away for mine just over 2 weeks ago and when i enter the code on the website it says it hasent been recognised? is the website just not really ever updated or have the station not even sent off? id go in and ask them but there not exactly nice in my local station, a bit stubborn actually, car the women.
    So basically will i be waiting a while by the looks?:rolleyes: I have a drivers liscence but most places bar night clubs really accept em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Can you apply for it a few weeks before you turn 18? Or do you have to be 18 to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

seanbmc wrote: »
    Can you apply for it a few weeks before you turn 18? Or do you have to be 18 to apply?

You have to be 18 to apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah it so simply to do, a scapel is only needed...The ones with the hard plastic are impossible to fake.

I have to apply for this age card so.

You have to be 18 to apply for it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

A lot of shops/clubs refuse drivers licenses, might be an idea to keep that in mind.
    Are they allowed do that??
    Tesco are also asshatish about passports too >_<
    Aldi are the same....grrr.
    creggy wrote: »
    Has anyone been refused from a nightclub with an age card?
    I can't see how they could do it unless it wasn't you in the picture.
    My mam's cousin is a bouncer and he showed me all the security features on the New age cards...there's 8 :O

But since I turned 18 I've never been more the 2 meters from my passport! Can't be bothered applying for an age card. 10 quid when I have my passport and college ID (it's never been turned away with as m 2nd form). But tbh, if you're going out regularly you'll stop getting ID'd unless a particular bouncer has taken a dislike to you

(Anyone from Limerick will know what I mean when I mention a man known affectionatly as Stretch!!)

You should be able to apply for em before hand though, your DOB is on them like!! Anyone know why that's a no go?

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Places are entitled to have policies me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

It would be cool if you could apply for it before you're 18 but only get it when you actually are. Rather than having to wait weeks/months, like.

It would be cool if you could apply for it before you're 18 but only get it when you actually are. Rather than having to wait weeks/months, like.

Yeah it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

A lot of shops/clubs refuse drivers licenses, might be an idea to keep that in mind.
    SarahBeep! wrote: »

Yes, they are because apparently Driving licenses are easy to forge. My learner permit is pretty much a shiny piece of paper with my DOB and a photo of me on it. Wouldn't that difficult to forge and there is also no security features on them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yes, they are because apparently Driving licenses are easy to forge. My learner permit is pretty much a shiny piece of paper with my DOB and a photo of me on it. Wouldn't that difficult to forge and there is also no security features on them aswell.

There are wavy lines down over the photograph with a harp emblem on it. There is also a hologram of govt buildings when you hold it to light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

It took 2 or 3 months for mine to come, although that was several years ago.

Also, I thought once you were under 18 passports only lasted 5 years, and not 10. It's unusual that you'd have a valid passport from such a young age for so long.

Maybe they just used an older picture when they were getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

creggy wrote: »
    Has anyone been refused from a nightclub with an age card?

I never was with mine, though the picture didn't really look like me so sometimes I was asked if I had anything else with me, like a student card or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Well over 4 weeks now and still no sign of the Age Card. The online code doesn't work...

Should I even bother going into the Garda Station about it?

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Well over 4 weeks now and still no sign of the Age Card. The online code doesn't work...

Should I even bother going into the Garda Station about it?

Chill out!

Mine took 5 or so weeks to come, was told in the station 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Chill out!

Mine took 5 or so weeks to come, was told in the station 2.
    Ugh, I hate having the use my passport on a night out. Would just love to have it like.

Did you check online while you were waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Jaysus..
    Ye all seem to be having to wait ages for them :eek:
    Mine only took 9 or 10 days to come :D

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate having the use my passport on a night out. Would just love to have it like.

Did you check online while you were waiting?

Not once, I wasn't entirely comfortable bringing my passport out either, but just be careful! Really not hard not to loose things.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Mine took 5 weeks to come. And the code did not work online. All of my friends said their codes didn't work either. Why bother giving us a code to check online if it doesn't work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Dis waitin is really annoyin me... i sent my passport away at the same time as the agecard and now i've no ID! :(:( I'm afraid of looseing my learners permit cause i've got my test now in 2 or 3 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

tomtom101 wrote: »
    Dis waitin is really annoyin me... i sent my passport away at the same time as the agecard and now i've no ID! :(:( I'm afraid of looseing my learners permit cause i've got my test now in 2 or 3 weeks!

Where did you send the passport? Are you applying for a new one?

Good luck in your driving test!

Advertisement