Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etihad baggage allowance

Options
  • 24-01-2010 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Can someone confirm what the Etihad baggage allowance is normally on a flight to Australia? From experience..
    Checked baggage & carry on baggage..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

^ :rolleyes:
    Can someone confirm what the Etihad baggage allowance is normally on a flight to Australia? From experience..
    Checked baggage & carry on baggage..

They are strict with your carryon luggage which is 7kgs

However they are sound with the checked in luggage I was nearly 14kgs over the 20kg limit if I remember correctly and they didn't charge me a cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

hussey wrote: »

I am well aware of google thanks, no need to be smart.

I specifically stated "From experience.." for a reason as what is stated on their website is sometimes different than what it is in the airport.

Thanks eringobragh, exactly what I wanted to hear, it was gonna be tight to fit my life into 27kg..

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

I flew with Ethiad and didn't have any problems.

But if you are going to oz for a year of traveling, from experience, the less you bring the bette. Cause you will have so much more coming home and it will just become annoying dragging it all around with you where ever you go and will cost so much more on route home. .

I flew with Ethiad and didn't have any problems.

But if you are going to oz for a year of traveling, from experience, the less you bring the bette. Cause you will have so much more coming home and it will just become annoying dragging it all around with you where ever you go and will cost so much more on route home. .

Nah, I'm going for good. I wish I could travel lightly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

universe777 dump all of your winter cloths and only bring the fav of the rest as you'll get plenty of better ones out there .

As for the luggage if you the the check in desk first they go away esaier on you as to weights than if you near the last

Ozeire wrote: »
    universe777 dump all of your winter cloths and only bring the fav of the rest as you'll get plenty of better ones out there .

As for the luggage if you the the check in desk first they go away esaier on you as to weights than if you near the last

I've dumped a fair bit of clothes already, wouldn't have a huge amount of typical winter woolies really.
    My electric guitar will eat 10kg cased, can't and won't sell that, it's kinda unique and sounds great to me. Used instrument market will pay nothing anyway.
    My empty suitcase alone weighs a hair over 4kg..
    I'll get it all there somehow...

Yeah, flight at 8am I think so plan on being there a few hours beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pod76

Hi there probably too late for you to arrange. I was granted my permanent residency recently (married an Australian) and in the letter of confirmation they said that if I was overseas out of Australia at the date of grant I would be eligible for a cheaper economy flight ticket and higher baggage allowance.

It was a bugger because I was actually back in Ireland on holiday and would have loved to bring more crap back with me.

This may help someone else who may be able to avail of the offer. :) I never knew about it and pretty annoyed especially as you do pay a few $Gs when applying for the spouse visa two years ago.

pod76 wrote: »
    Hi there probably too late for you to arrange. I was granted my permanent residency recently (married an Australian) and in the letter of confirmation they said that if I was overseas out of Australia at the date of grant I would be eligible for a cheaper economy flight ticket and higher baggage allowance.

It was a bugger because I was actually back in Ireland on holiday and would have loved to bring more crap back with me.

This may help someone else who may be able to avail of the offer. :) I never knew about it and pretty annoyed especially as you do pay a few $Gs when applying for the spouse visa two years ago.

Did you get a Subclass 100 or 309 visa? I am married to an Australian too but there is nothing of the sort you mentioned above in my letter of confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pod76

Did you get a Subclass 100 or 309 visa? I am married to an Australian too but there is nothing of the sort you mentioned above in my letter of confirmation.

Neither, BS 801 partner residence visa. It lasts five years after which I can apply to become a citizen, or stay as permanent resident. I was on the temp spouse visa for two years. I applied for both my visas from within Australia as I was originally on a WHV.

As per letter of grant re concessions on travel and baggage allowance:

These concessions. which may be available to prospective migrants through the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), are the result of negotiations with a large number of international carriers on designated routes.
    To receive information on IOM concessional fares, baggage allowance and eligibility criteria please contact IOM by email IOMAustralia@iom.int or visit their website at www.iom.int/jaha/jsp/index.jsp
    So have a look about eligibility.

Edited - so you were just granted temp spouse/partner visa which I was on and it didn't mention anything about baggage allowance etc.. when that was granted to me two years ago. Only now permanent was it mentioned. I did also have an working entension to my WHV because spouse was in process and employer wrote skills needs.

• Advertisement

pod76 wrote: »
    Neither, BS 801 partner residence visa. It lasts five years after which I can apply to become a citizen, or stay as permanent resident. I was on the temp spouse visa for two years. I applied for both my visas from within Australia as I was originally on a WHV.

As per letter of grant re concessions on travel and baggage allowance:

These concessions. which may be available to prospective migrants through the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), are the result of negotiations with a large number of international carriers on designated routes.
    To receive information on IOM concessional fares, baggage allowance and eligibility criteria please contact IOM by email IOMAustralia@iom.int or visit their website at www.iom.int/jaha/jsp/index.jsp
    So have a look about eligibility.

Edited - so you were just granted temp spouse/partner visa which I was on and it didn't mention anything about baggage allowance etc.. when that was granted to me two years ago. Only now permanent was it mentioned. I did also have an working entension to my WHV because spouse was in process and employer wrote skills needs.

I just re-read your post.. You got the info re cheaper flights/extra baggage as part of your Permanent Residence letter?
    I am only not quite 1 year into my Temporary Spouse visa 309 (offshore), haven't arrived yet. Same as you had except you were onshore when applying for it.
    I guess I'd have to wait a year or so, but you'd think most people would have move their possessions fully before they were in Australia for 2 years..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When I relocated from Australia to Ireland my Travel Agent contacted the Airline (Korean Air) to request a higher baggage allowance. It was put up to 30kg each. Apparently the Airlines will sometimes do this if you go through an Agent but not generally if approached directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

on a similar note does anyone know what etihad would charge to transport a surfboard one way from sydney to ireland? couldnt find it on their website.

CabanSail wrote: »
    When I relocated from Australia to Ireland my Travel Agent contacted the Airline (Korean Air) to request a higher baggage allowance. It was put up to 30kg each. Apparently the Airlines will sometimes do this if you go through an Agent but not generally if approached directly.

I think we got 30kg each, about all I can carry..
    Another 16-20kg going by post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

In airport bar now waiting on flight... so far loving Etihad -let me carry 11kg over for no extra cost! Now for the leg room....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I found etihad generally good but the flight from Melbourne to Dubai was a killer. It's nearly 14 hours on the plane, even if the next flight is only 6 hours. I prefer flying through Thailand or Singapore, seems to balance the two flights out more gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I flew over Etihad,
    the ticket said I had a 20kg limit, but it turned out to be 30kg when I got to the check in desk.

The carry on is supposed to be under 7kg, mine was 16kg. I just told them I had a laptop in it, and she said grand! Dunno how big she thought my laptop was!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

i flew with cathay pacific via london and hong kong to sydney - didn't think to check if i was overweight, thought i'd blag it if i was.....ended up being 34kg!! and they wanted to charge me 80 euro per kg i was over! :eek::eek:

had gotten a lift with a friend's dad to the airport, so binned a few things, stuffed as much as i could into my hand luggage, wore some extra clothes and still paid around 300 euros!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I wouldn't fly with Cathay Pacific again if they gave me the flight for free. Last time I flew with them they gave me food poisoning with a reheated meal, were **** about it, behaved like I was an inconvenience to them (himself and myself both poisoned - we were in the middle of the seats so the trolley going forward and the one coming backwards from the front both got to us at the same time. We requested a meal that they had none left of, so they went off to find us some. God knows where they produced these two dishes from - perhaps they'd been left in the cabins from earlier flights or something. Three hours after eating them the two of us were projectile vomiting in the on-board loos. On a 10 hour flight.) and were generally arseholes. Never again.

Advertisement