Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internal laptop speakers have stopped working

• 24-01-2010 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My laptop seems to have developed a problem. The internal speakers don't produce sound anymore, they worked fine yesterday. Nothing from YouTube, Real Player etc.

Yet, if I plug in headphones I can hear.

I must apologise, I'm not at all good with computers and probably the type of person ye hate seeing coming :D

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9300, at a guess about 4 years old. I'm running the Windows XP home edition that came with it.

I've right clicked the volume controls in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, it has no effect. I've also checked the mute button hasn't been pressed on the front of the laptop, and also checked the various websites, Realplayer etc that the sound is up.

Not sure what else to do, I'm not confident changing other stuff without advice as I don't want to add more problems :o

I did read the forum rules, did a few searches (didn't honestly understand a lot of the replies and whether they'd apply to my machine or not). If I have left out info, please let me know and I'll do my best to find it.

All help greatly received.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

This happened to me last week (dell inspiron 9400) i was using headphones all day and when i took them out there was no sound from the speakers.

After checking all the settings and seeing that they where ok, and the fact that it still worked with headphones in, i started plugging the headphones in and out and the sound came back after a few goes(had a song playing so i could hear it).

But now im afraid to plug in any headphones :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Maybe take the battery out for a while ,it might be a build up of static in the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

encryptix wrote: »
    This happened to me last week (dell inspiron 9400) i was using headphones all day and when i took them out there was no sound from the speakers.

After checking all the settings and seeing that they where ok, and the fact that it still worked with headphones in, i started plugging the headphones in and out and the sound came back after a few goes(had a song playing so i could hear it).

But now im afraid to plug in any headphones :p

Well done Encryptix, I plugged and unplugged the headphones and my speakers are working again, Thanks very much :D And Thanks Yoshytoshy for your reply also :)

Advertisement