Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights from Sydney / Brisbane / Melbourne - UK / Ireland in June - - cheapest??

Options
  • 24-01-2010 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all,

Flying home in June and need to book a flight. I've plenty of time to look around and was wondering what is the cheapest anyone has managed to grab a flight home for? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Any ideas at all welcome by the way, I haven't a clue the first place to look. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

You could try the airline websites directly - there are plenty of choices b/w Oz and UK and then it's a simple flight to Ireland. Some airlines will also let you book the connecting flight to Dublin. For example, I've recently purchased a flight with Singapore airlines and was able to book Shannon - Melbourne on the one ticket, meaning my luggage is checked through right from Shannon rather than having to collect it at LHR and re-check it. Alternatively Etihad fly directly into Dublin.

Leaving OZ in June is heading towards high season for flights to the UK as it's summer and it may also be school holidays, so if you can be flexible with your dates you should be able to pick something up a little cheaper.

If you don't want to check individual airlines website, try the following sites:
    www.travel.com.au
    www.zuji.com.au
    www.webjet.com.au

A two minute search has brought up a flight MEL - LHR with Malaysian dep on the 2nd June for $650 AUD which is pretty good value I think.

If you are really desperate there is AirAsia which is the budget carrier that will do Melbourne - Kuala Lumper - Stansted, but a quick play with dates in June it is dearer than the far better option with Malaysian above.

HTH,
    Mel.b

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Thanks MelB!

What site did you find the $650 flight on? I'll have a look at that, sounds like the right option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i'm headin home around then too. will be keeping an eye on this thread! :p

tho i might even sto off in thailand for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

That flight was on travel.com.au but when I looked at it again and clicked right through it is coming up more around $850.00 (some taxes must not have been included initially). If you are needing to do it on a real budget AirAsia may end up being cheaper to book, but as with any budget carrier you'll have to pay for food & drinks and also entertainment.

Cheers,
    mel.b

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Going the other way, at about the same time, so far I have come up with Singapore Air for €551 all inclusive. That's DUB-BNE with one leg on the A380

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

CabanSail wrote: »
    Going the other way, at about the same time, so far I have come up with Singapore Air for €551 all inclusive. That's DUB-BNE with one leg on the A380

That's what I came out on last November. I paid €696 for it.

A380 leg from LHR-SIN, barely even noticed you were flying it was so smooth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just noticed it has gone up a bit now, I guess that's with the currency fluctuations & the € being weaker. It's €618 now.

Advertisement