Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Driving License in Australia on 457 visa?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 8:04am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is my full Irish driving license fine to drive on during my 4 years in Australia on a 457 visa?

I would only have to apply for an Australian driving license if seeking permanent residency - correct?

Any hints on where to but a car around Melbourne?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

BossArky wrote: »
    Is my full Irish driving license fine to drive on during my 4 years in Australia on a 457 visa?

Yes
    I would only have to apply for an Australian driving license if seeking permanent residency - correct?

yes, though some of the rules vary from state to state, so look the appropriate state government website.
    Any hints on where to but a car around Melbourne?

no, but afaik they're usually not hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

You can drive on your full Irish Licence for up to 12 months but then questions are asked .

http://www.ozeire.com/faq/driving-down-under/can-i-drive-in-australia-%26-new-zealand-on-my-driving-license-?.html

As you are there for 4 years there is an agrement between the Australian n Irish Gov about driving Licnece in which you can swap one for the other you might as well swap yours as only have to fill out forms and pay for it .

as for cars check www.carsales.com.au and local papers but not hard to get one really .

Hope some of helps and enjoy life downunder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

continuing to driver on an Irish Licence is possible, but you will end up bouncing in and out of court to have charges dropped.

Even tho its Legal to do the Cops are a bit too Thick to comprehend the nuances.

Technically if like me you are spread across 2 or 3 states for work you should have either All3 state licences or none at all?????

its a confusing quagmire to say the least.

Either stay out of trouble or invest in a good brief ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the advice folks.

Advertisement