Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Primary School? Is Meiriceanach me agus I'm trying to learn Gaeilge!

• 24-01-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am an American woman who hopes to teach primary school in Ireland after finishing my degree. I am already aware of the requirement in Eire to be fluent in Gaeilge, as it is a compulsory subject in primary schools. However, what I am looking for is someone who has an intermediate to advanced knowledge of the language, both written and spoken. In other words, any fluent speakers here? I'd love to practice with you! I have two years to learn it, so I think it's very possible if I put in the proper effort.

Also, if anyone can give me any information on what kinds of tests and things to expect in order to pass the requirements to teach in a primary school in Ireland, it would greatly be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Hi,

This is taken from the Teaching Council website...

Irish Qualification Examination (S.C.G.)

1 . The purpose of the S.C.G. is to provide an opportunity for teachers trained outside the State to acquire the qualification in Irish that is necessary for recognition as a teacher in mainstream classes in national schools. Permission to sit the examination will be granted to prospective candidates whose teaching qualifications have been recognised by the Department.

2. The S.C.G. will be held twice annually normally in April and October of any calendar year.

3. With effect from October, 1999 the S.C.G. will consist of four separate modules:

(i) an oral examination;
    (ii) an aural examination;
    (iii) Paper 1 (composition; grammar; written comprehension);
    (iv) Paper 2 (the teaching of Irish; literature; cultural aspects).
    (v) The oral/aural and written examinations will be held on consecutive days.

4. The pass mark for the oral examination will be 70% of the marks and for the aural and written examinations it will be 50% of the marks. Candidates must obtain passes in all four modules in order to attain a pass in the examination as a whole.

5. Candidates who pass in any one module of the examination will be exempt from that module of the examination for a period not exceeding 5 years.

6. Candidates may attempt modules separately at different sittings if they so wish.

7. Candidates who have Irish to primary degree level may be granted an exemption from Paper 2 of the S.C.G.

8. The Department has arranged that suitable Irish language courses will be made available, in certain Education Centres, for those who are preparing for the S.C.G. Details of theses course are available from In Career Development Unit, Department of Education and Science, Hawkins House, Dublin 2 (Ph: 01 - 8734700).

9. Information and documentation relevant to the next examination (dates, programme, application forms, sample examination papers) may be obtained by writing to: SCG Office, Coláiste Mhuire, Marino Institute of Education, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9.

Phone: 01 8535143
    Fax: 01 8535173
    E-mail: scginfo@mie.ie
    Web: scgweb

Hope it helps in some way!

If you check with your local Adult Education centre you will probably find beginners/intermediate/advanced courses in Irish and I'm sure you'd find others in those classes to practice with. Summer/Easter courses in Gaeltacht areas can also be very helpful.

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Dia duit! Tá fáilte romhat anseo!

Are you currently training to be a primary school teacher, or do you hope to do a post grad in Ireland after your degree in order to teach?

If the former, then you will need to complete what's called the SCG (Scrúdú Cáilíochta Sa Ghaeilge). Google this to find out the info you need.
    Also, there's lots of info to be found at www.educationposts.ie

Oh, & it would be excellent if you were fluent in Irish, but to be honest, the standard is not just as high as that. Perhaps it should be....
    But, if you are able to hold down a basic conversation in the language, you would be as good as many!

Advertisement