Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-sleeve - advice?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Planning on getting a half done from shoulder to elbow in the next month or so and looking for some pointers please, folks.

- how much time are we looking at? Would like to get it done at the same time, rather than over a few weeks. Would I need to take a couple of days off work? It'll be custom-made and I've most of the art I want on it cobbled together. It'll need to be cleaned up and sharpened by the artist though.

- price? I realise this could vary wildly but any general idea?

- any recommendations for an artist in Dublin? Looking at the portfolios here, Justin Russell seems to have some nice pics of half-sleeves up there. Pawel in Snakebite probably has the best but their website says he's on hiatus?

Grazie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I doubt you'll get to do it in one sitting. It does depend on the design though. will it be wrapped around the inside of your arm, or just shoulder to elbow on the front side?

You wont need any days off work after you get it done but I did book the next day off once or twice just as a little reward for myself for sitting 6 or 7 hours.

For a rough price you'll just have to go to the artist with the design and ask him. Anyone here will just be throwing out guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

I got this koi fish done, shoulder to elbow. It took just over 5 hours, 2 sittings. There was about 2 weeks between the sittings. I don't imagine you would need any time off work.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61059586&postcount=3346

Impossible to say how much yours would cost, totally depend on the style, the level of detail, amount of colours and time it would take.

I got mine done by Tommy in Classic Ink, sound bloke and excellent artist. He does alot of work freehand, including mine. I would definitely recommend him, I'll be going back to him to complete the half sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I would also say what the other posters have said. My sleeve is 3/4 length, but orignally went into get a half sleeve (just decided it looked better longer). Anyway my first appointment was 4 hours, which involved the artist freehanding the design, watermarking the lines (essentially a tattooing run through) and then tattooing the outline proper.

As i got more done I can't really compare it to what you want, but I'd say another 4 hour session would've completed all the shading, and possibly the all colouring. Depends if you want colouring done.

I got my done in Dublin Art Tattoo in Temple Bar by Michele. He's good but slow, he took his time doing the freehand to get it right, which was great, as I've a completely original design on my arm now.

As for a day off work, I used to go in for about 2pm - 6pm so I just took a half day. Was normally quieter on a weekday, Saturdays could bring distraction for the artist as people would be coming in asking him prices etc. You'll have your armed wrapped in cellphane until the following morning, if I were you even take the next day off if you can, or get it done on a friday so you are off the next day (presuming you don't work on Saturdays).

Don't go in the first time expecting it to be done. I went in first, discussed what I wanted, he said he'd sketch some ideas etc, then we made the appointment for the following week. Be very clear about what you want and where you want it, as this'll save time. Or if you want him to create something himself expect him to take some time coming up with the design. After all he'll be busy with other clients and other designs he'll be working on.

Scour all the parlours for designs and styles and even go in and ask "who here is the best at X" and they'll help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Dirtyduffer

Muchos gracias for the advice, folks. I've actually had another recommendation for Tommy, so may well call into him then.

I may well opt for a 3/4 on the day as the design I'm looking at might need a bit more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

When Tommy was doing my koi fish, he wasn't sure whether to have the fish would be better facing up or down, as I was getting a cover up. He spent 35-45 mins freehanding on the design with the fish pointing down... he didn't like the way if was working out, so he cleaned my arm and started again from scratch with the fish facing up.

He's a guy who definitely takes pride in his work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement