Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Whiskey

Options
  • 24-01-2010 1:39pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I found this in a wine store just south of Paris and thought I'd let you folks know what whiskey the French people prefer :)

001.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

What's it taste like Ponster? Can't be any worse that Paddy or Powers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Interesting, never heard of it though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Actually I have yet to open it while having bought and finished much more expensive/rare bottles since.

I reckon that it's pretty poor but don't want to ruin the spell which the "Clonmel" label instills.

BTW, there used to be a whiskey distillery in Clonmel so I guess it has some heritage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Where's it made?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

France.

Celtic Whisky Compagnie
    Crec'h ar Fur
    22610 Pleubian
    FRANCE
    http://www.celtic-whisky.com/

• Advertisement

As Farmer said.....

At the beginning of XIX century, the district of Clonmel gathered the highest concentration of whiskey distilleries in Ireland after Dublin, including about fifteen of them. Inheriting of this tradition, the Single Malt Clonmel possesses a character in line with the image suggested by its name which is written Cluain Meala in Gaelic, meaning "The Honey Meadow". Its bouquet, which is particularly mellow, delivers all the specific nuances of the best Pot Still Irish Whiskeys, liberating very fine aromas, with evocations in particular of banana and apricot.

Bottled at 40%, Clonmel is not subject to chill filtration in order to preserve the entirety of its aromatic components.

Clonmel has been awarded the Gold Medal by the tasting panel at the Concours Mondial de Bruxelles 2002.

http://www.celtic-whisky.com/clonmegb.htm

I need to get my hands on The Peated Clonmel

BTW, free tasters to anyone who turns up at my door in Paris. Address by PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hmmm perhaps all the other towns names were taken ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the bottle of peated stuff myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beansgram

can anyone tell me how to find the history of a clonmel distillery that john nairn/nairne a scotish immigrant helped to start any help would be appreciated kathi

beansgram wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how to find the history of a clonmel distillery that john nairn/nairne a scotish immigrant helped to start any help would be appreciated kathi

There's a book in the Clonmel library (which other libraries can order) called Clonmel, 1840-1900: By Seán O'Donnell which has a list of the whiskey distilleries in Clonmel and a little info about each (as far as I can remember).

The only one I know of used to be in Marlfield, run by John Stein (of Scotland I *think*) and is the only distillery listed in Slaters 1826 directory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement