Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cat

Options
  • 24-01-2010 1:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I already have a neutered male cat and am thinking of getting a second cat. Would it be better for the new cat to be a male or female, or does it matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

It doesn't really matter with a male cat. He will be happy enough with a male or female. The problem is usually with 2 females . Not recommended I believe.
    I did read recently in a cat book where males love to tease their "little sisters" and it can be amusing to watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

With cats they either take to another cat or don't, I don't think the sex matters.
    I have 2 males at the moment, one 8yrs, one approx 3yrs whos been here almost a year. They get on fine no fighting but aren't best buddies. The older one had a brother who died that he was very close to, but they did fight although not seriously.
    Over the years we have had males and females and every mix, generally if the cat is easy going it doesn't matter if you introduce a kitten.
    Its introducing adults that can be a problem and has to be done carefully, but it can be done too.

Just remember to keep a close eye on them and don't leave them alone together for a while, you can shut them in separate rooms while you're out until you're sure they're good together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thanks for responses. I was thinking of taking male cat along to view kittens whenever I find one, to see if there's any he takes an instant dislike to. I know it won't be quite the same as it won't be on his own territory, but it might give me some idea. I had thought two males wouldn't be a good idea, so thanks for your reassurances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My (male) cat, hangs out with a neighbour's cat, who is also male - I've seen them throw the odd open claw at each other, but only very occasionally. Most of the time, they huddle up together & lick each other on the window cill of my kitchen.

The missus says it reminds her of "Brokeback Mountain"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Generally, if you are planning to have both cats neutered it doesn't matter what gender they are. Can only echo what "mymo" said about good introductions being very important and giving them time to gel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

I have one female indoor cat, she's just under two years old now and has never been beyond the back garden. She's never had any prolonged unsupervised contact with other cats since she left her siblings as a kitten.

I am considering the idea of getting another cat to keep her company, but I wanted to get recommendations from you folks.

1. She's a small cat but she has a big personality and I've seen her taking a running jump at a much larger cat before. Would I be better off getting a kitten so that maybe she wouldn't feel so threatened?

2. She's been spayed... would the fact that she's never had a litter of her own prevent her from feeling any maternal instict towards a kitten? She's incredibly playful and very affectionate toward me, but I wonder if that would transfer to a kitten.

3. Would it be preferable to get a kitten of the same breed as herself, or would that only make things worse? I've noticed that when neighbour cats come to the door/window, she's far less annoyed by the cat that's closest to her in size and colouring.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

tsk tsk, she'll def be less threatened by a kitten, but don't expect maternal behaviour. Expect a couple of weeks of hissing, yowling and scrapping. Then they'll prob be best friends.

Advertisement