Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke vs Arsenal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Thoroughly undeserved

it's football thats how it works, alot of the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

patrickc wrote: »
    it's football thats how it works, alot of the time..

Yeah but it was never a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think this game shows just how reliant Arsenal are on Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

That_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah but it was never a free kick.

agreed, but theres many unjust decisions against Arsenal this season, i can think of 2 if not 3 penos we should have had in the last 2 months. Karma I call it

Half time. Stoke the much better team. Have restricted Arsenal from playing for most of that half.

Arsenal were lucky to equalise from that "free kick".

Surely that RB of Arsenal's should be off at half time. He hasn't settled at all.

I've been very impressed with Campbell in that first half. Clearing well.
    Silvestre on the other hand has been shocking. He got away with what should have been a penalty.

patrickc wrote: »
    agreed, but theres many unjust decisions against Arsenal this season, i can think of 2 if not 3 penos we should have had in the last 2 months. Karma I call it

A bit like ourselves then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's playing?

Pretty fortunate equaliser but Stoke haven't exactly done a great deal either, bar plonking endless balls onto Campbell's head. Neither goalkeeper made a save in the entire half.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Wouldn't say that, Arsenal have a very much under strength team out today, so far so good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

God watching Stoke play is such a soul destroying experience. Still fair play they have been the better team. Very happy to have gotten the goal before half time.

I think Coquelin improved a bit as the half went on, though you could tell at the start he was seriously struggling. In fairness he is an 18 year old playing out of position in only something like his 3rd appearance for the senior team. Campbell has done well so far imo, much better than Silvestre anyway.

• Advertisement

Oh come on, he drew the foul for the free kick and had the vision to set Denilson up for the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Well, interesting enough game, albeit without much in terms of the quality of the football.

Stoke are unlucky to be behind, that's for sure. They've looked much better on the ball and created a hell of a lot more chances, although almost all of these have been from Delap's and they haven't made much of them apart from the goal. They've been decent at passing the ball around to, and with their usual pressing they are making Arsenal work very hard for their share of the ball. They've been roughing Arsenal up a lot though, some very strong challenges going through the likes of Thomas and Eastmond. I think the ref has wised up a bit to this though as the half went on.

Arsenal's passing on the other hand looked really awful at times, and Thomas isn't up to much at this level imo. He likes to draw defenders onto him but it's backfiring the whole time, as for Coquelin, well he's been at odds of the rest of the team. Says a lot that the best player for them has been Campbell (who looks solid enough, positioning has been good although he's clearly lacking pace).

Both goals were a wee bit fortunate. Fuller got a head where Fabianski should really have been claiming. Commentators blaming the fullback, but I don't agree I think he risked taking out his keeper if he tried to check Fuller's run. Fabianski to solely to blame imo.

As for Arsenal's goal, I think it was a free kick myself. I know there's the argument it wasn't deliberate, but his hands were extended out from his body to make himself big. I think it's your own fault if you can't pull them in at times. Wouldn't have gone in without the deflections either. Good to see the bit of luck going Arsenal's way for once.

Oh come on, he drew the foul for the free kick and had the vision to set Denilson up for the goal.

What foul? It was never a free kick.

Cesc is a huge player for Arsenal, just like rooney and gerrard are for utd and liverpool, but we can cope without him if we have to, we have players who can come in.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Cesc is a huge player for Arsenal, just like rooney and gerrard are for utd and liverpool, but we can cope without him if we have to, we have players who can come in.

Well given the form that Fabregas is in, he is their playmaker and pulls the strings in midfield. There are quality players that Arsenal have in their squad but I don't think any of them have the presence that Fabregas has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What foul? It was never a free kick.

He did handle the ball though, there's no questioning that. It's just how the ref interprets it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

There was very little "vision" involved in rolling a ball 10-12 yards to a team-mate.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ugh Come on Stoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Arsenal aren't blessed in the goalkeeping department with Almunia and Fabianski.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Well given the form that Fabregas is in, he is their playmaker and pulls the strings in midfield. There are quality players that Arsenal have in their squad but I don't think any of them have the presence that Fabregas has.

The suggestion made is that we are dependent on Cesc i.e. in a way we are a one man team, I disagree

Fcuking hell. I think Fabianski will be Arsenal's undoing at the back. He either doesn't come for those long throws or he does and completely misjudges the height and misses the ball completely.

• Advertisement

The suggestion made is that we are dependent on Cesc i.e. in a wat we are a one man team, I disagree

I don't think ye are reliant on him. He's a quality player but Arsenal's success isn't down to just him. He picks out some great passes and finds a lot of space but definitely not a one man team by any means.

Goals have come from all areas for Arsenal this season. Defence, midfield and up front.

I think Vermalean (sp?) has been the key, well one of many key's to Arsenal's success this season. Scoring goals and is a rock at the back.

Fabregas has always been a superb player but the team is working better this season than in the last couple of seasons imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The suggestion made is that we are dependent on Cesc i.e. in a wat we are a one man team, I disagree
    Fabregas makes that whole team tick, I know they have won without him recently but if you had a run of 8 games without him I think they would be found out, confidence will keep you going for a while but then it becomes a struggle.

Silvestre dodgy again.

Silvestre dodgy again.

Same old same old.

Could've been an own goal. Good defending in the end.

Would like to see Tuncay on.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Fabregas makes that whole team tick, I know they have won without him recently but if you had a run of 8 games without him I think they would be found out, confidence will keep you going for a while but then it becomes a struggle.

Possibly as I said he is a key player, for example take Rooney out of the present utd team for 8 games and they would be found out.

Dodgy keeping from Fabianski there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

On comes the cavalry

3 Arsenal subs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Whoever scores next will win I'd say stoke have been excellent so far

Very attacking from Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wenger takes the woolly hat off arshavin :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Christ Fabianski is ****.

Silvestre just saved Arsenal there!

Well played by Silvestre came back well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Brilliant defending from Silvestre there. Brave too

Looked like he landed on his left arm/shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Completely genuine attempt from Delap to win the ball there. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He'll be fine.

Good move by stoke silvestre wouldn't want to go off injured minutes after a triple substituion

He looks ok now. Stoke still playing very very well. If that first time ball had gotten to Fuller instead of Delap it could be a very different story but that's a moot point.

Great defending though by Silvestre though.

Stoke trying to play football now. They'd better stop.

Stoke trying to play football now. They'd better stop.

This made me laugh. :)

Ethrington has been brilliant running up the left

• Advertisement

**** it

Brilliant goal. Brilliant play from Sidibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great running, great ball over and a simple finish. Well done Stoke!

Fuller just owned Campbell there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Nice goal, good cup tie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement