Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coping tips?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Okay it's a week to the Leaving Cert mocks and I haven't touched a book yet, I've been doing 2 hours of supervised study 4 days a week but honestly haven't covered a lot, used it to do homework a lot of the time.

I am really freaking out and don't know what to do. It's not that I don't want to study, it's that I can't and, 99% of the time when I do try and study, I get distracted by the noises in my house or my head just gets clouded and feels like there's loads of tiny bombs going off.

I've tried talking to some teachers about it back before the Christmas break and they told me to "just study" basically. Then I broke down in a few classes and just couldn't cope and walked out and went home, lol, the teachers were betwixt.

I'm at a point now where it's really frustrating because it's not like I'm a dosser; I want to do well, I always have my homework done, I'm naturally smart, I get at least a B in class tests but when it comes to a huge exam (like premocks/common tests) I panic. I really feel like just quitting school and repeating next year because I just can't take it.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

You know, the LC is blown totally out of proportion. It's not the 'be all and end all,' even though a lot of people make it out to be.

You should stop worrying about the LC and just focus on your study. The Mocks are just a guide to see where you're at in school-they are not to be feared! Although you might feel you haven't got a lot of work done, you say that you get B's in most class tests, so you're working consistently. Therefore, you shouldn't worry! You have a lot of the work done already, even though you mightn't think it.

Just clear all the worries and doubts out of you head, and focus on the present. Do some study and you'll be grand! There are so many other students out there like you at the moment-you're not alone!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

How about instead of just siting down and reading or whatever, you just do exam questions? Pretend they are homewrk.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Thanks, yeah I know that everyone is really feeling it, I just don't want to waste €100 on mocks that I'm going to fail! Hopefully I will gather a pass in all 8 D:

Our homework has been a lot of exam questions but I'm worrying that what will be on the papers will have never been asked and I'll be really unprepared.

I really am just way over-thinking things, I need to stop it!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

gemxpink wrote: »
    Okay it's a week to the Leaving Cert mocks and I haven't touched a book yet, I've been doing 2 hours of supervised study 4 days a week but honestly haven't covered a lot, used it to do homework a lot of the time.

I know exactly how you feel. Its one week for me aswell and as a repeat I wish I was feeling more confident but really Im not. If I were you I would strongly advise DO NOT GO TO AFTER SCHOOL STUDY it is a con and a waste of time and money since most students only really get homework done. Go to a library instead; its a relaxed atmosphere, you can walk freely, heck you can even have a casual chat with someone you might know and its free. I just go to the library now and study their for at least 3 hours a day! As for homework, I tend not to worry about it until the morning before school or during a free class.

PLEASE HUN do not worry about the mocks! The mocks is only really to put you under exam pressure and make you realise what it will be like in June, most of the time the mock timetables are really badly done out and the mock papers tend to be different and marked more harshly than the real thing.

I know how you feel its so frustrating when you are trying to do study but you got this big pile of homework staring you in the face. But listen, the reality of it is that homework cam help study! I started studying last week like but still havnt covered much ground...just got basics of King Lear done, a Kavanagh essay and one chapter of Physical Geography!

Listen, don't worry so much about the mocks and whatever you do DO NOT CRAM YOUR HEAD imagine their are no mocks coming up, just study at a gradual pace and learn a small bit on everything.
    I am really freaking out and don't know what to do. It's not that I don't want to study, it's that I can't and, 99% of the time when I do try and study, I get distracted by the noises in my house or my head just gets clouded and feels like there's loads of tiny bombs going off.

Im also freaking out I know how you feel I have two years of work to do in 5 months! My boyfriend just told me this and Im gonna tell you the same thing: Just take it, one step at a time, one chapter at a time, one section at a time. Make a pact with yourself that you WILL cover and learn something new everyday; doesnt matter how small it is. And study study study for at least 3-4 hours a day. But do not stress relax put on a little bit of low music and grab a snack relax and just study!

I have a family of 7 and its a small house in which sound travels easily. But I still manage to study at home. Just make it clear to everybody that the noise needs to be down, ( it doesnt work for my family) and if you have to, get rid of all the distractions. I used to be an xbox addict but now I havnt touched it in over a month! I feel good about myself in this way! Just put away your phone or whatever it is that might distract you but if it is still to bad get into a healthy habit of getting up early and walk to the library and study for at least and hour before you have a break. Just stay at the library for as long as you can believe me it helps!
    I've tried talking to some teachers about it back before the Christmas break and they told me to "just study" basically. Then I broke down in a few classes and just couldn't cope and walked out and went home, lol, the teachers were betwixt.

If their is one thing I have learned is that many teachers are unqualified, horrible racists. They are tottaly uncooperative and do not help you out. Be strong. You HAVE the ability to get well over 400 points and you WILL get whatever course you want. Just work hard! Sont think about what could happen, think about what CAN happen through a considerable amount of work a day.
    I'm at a point now where it's really frustrating because it's not like I'm a dosser; I want to do well, I always have my homework done, I'm naturally smart, I get at least a B in class tests but when it comes to a huge exam (like premocks/common tests) I panic. I really feel like just quitting school and repeating next year because I just can't take it.

I am the same as you, I try and do well but I dont have a B average and thats only cus I have so much to cover in a short space of time. Believe me, you do not want to be a repeat. It was the most depressing thing for me at the begginning but now its ok. Its still really hard...you remember what you could have done and all this. You will be left with regrets. At the same time however, look at things in a positive way. I thought I would never be able to cope with repeating but now I am even though its hard at times.
    If I wear you, just work steadily now. DO not freak out over the mocks, they are just the mocks, they are MADE to intimidate and MOCK you. Keep your head up and just work take it one step at a time before you know it you will be running miles!

I reccomend www.acceleratedlearning.com

I think thats what it is called just google it and it gives really good tips for learning more in less time that kind of thing, and its catered around the Leaving Cert! Good luck!

Ah I don't know what to say or where to start but thank you! It's so nice to just hear someone else say what I need to tell myself.

I've already paid for supervised but I think I'll try and ensure all my homework is done then and then go to the library afterwards until it closes. The reason I did supervised is because the library closes at 5 most days and it was impractical.

Just thanks again, it means so much!! <3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sounds like you have a lot of work already done and you're not giving yourself enough credit for it.

Keep up with the homework. Do every piece as if it were an exam question. If you make a bags of it, find out where you went wrong and what you needed to do to maximise your marks. If there is any concept you don't understand fully, ask your teachers.

You may surprise yourself with your mocks and even if everything goes completely pear-shaped on you in June, there is ALWAYS another way to get the course you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Have my first supervised study last week, and I just studied, did my hw afterwards. I'm not paying 25 euro just to do hw. I think if you do your hw afterwards, then that's fine, jut so long as you can say to yourself you got your study done.

Slugs wrote: »
    Have my first supervised study last week, and I just studied, did my hw afterwards. I'm not paying 25 euro just to do hw. I think if you do your hw afterwards, then that's fine, jut so long as you can say to yourself you got your study done.

€25 for how long!? Ours works out around €0.75 a day. You're right but I'd rather get 2 essays done than 20 pages revision =/ Guess I'll have to play it by ear.

• Advertisement

25 euro for 3 weeks @ 3 days a week. works out at 3.00 something a day, which is bs. I don't understand why we even have to pay, didn't they used to do this **** for free? o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Slugs wrote: »
    25 euro for 3 weeks @ 3 days a week. works out at 3.00 something a day, which is bs. I don't understand why we even have to pay, didn't they used to do this **** for free? o.O
    Recession man, governments no longer subsiding it I'd imagine.

ya that was my thought as well... Still though, 25 euro o.O, i think that's a bit steep. If even 10 people go (And more then ten are going) That's 250 euro for 18 hours of sitting down reading the newspaper or browsing on the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Its Feb in my school week before and after mid term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Don't worry my mocks are next week and there's loads of people who havn't opened a book yet. I've been studying as much as i can but find that i can't remember things a couple of days after i learn them :( Two hours a day is great though and homework is better than nothing and helps most of the time. My teachers keep telling me to learn some topics well instead of cramming in a lot of information and not remembering anything so i'm just trying to that and hope it works.

Advertisement