Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi
    First post so go easy!
    I am permantly employed but in huge debt and want to move banks in order to consolidate.
    I earn 44,000 before tax and owe 35,000.
    Would any bank take me on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Are you a homeowner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 aquariusjen

hi foxy
    thanks for reply, no im not a homeowner i am renting and paying 425 pcm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I doubt if any bank would take you on in the current climate

You owe probably than one years net pay - equivalent to 1/3 of a residential mortgage if you assume a 3x multiple, yet you have no apparent assets to use as collateral against the debt??

How secure is your current employment?

If the lending was against a motor vehicle or something, then fair enough, but you would then not be able to move the debt to another lender.

Yes I kind of assumed that would be the situation in todays climate but I just needed to ask...
    My employment is very secure its a full time perm. position with the HSE (yep, paycut coming this month)
    I built up the debt by pretty much just being your typical "credit card kid" new car, fancy holidays etc etc but Im fast approaching 30 and im freaking out.
    Iv actually already paid off about 20k in the last 2 years but its killing me now and I cant continue that rate of repayments to the various places
    Any ideas are welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Are you telling me that at one point you owed 55k? How in the love of god were you allowed run up that amount of debt? Who are your debtors?

• Advertisement

It has all mounted up since college, I kept topping up loans, I bought my car on garage finance but then ended up paying interest when I took a bank loan to pay for it. I needed major dental work after a fall and got that from credit union. I did extra exams and paid for those also...Among other things obviously. All my debtors are financial institutions bank credit union but also my brother(500) and my partner(2000). In relation to the bank and credit union I have not missed a repayment thats why I think they kept handing out the money I so foolishly asked for.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is there one institution to whom you owe more money? If there is, it might be worth a shot getting in touch with them and seeing would they be willing to look at a restructure of all your loans. Odds are on they will probably say no, but it's worth a try. They might be able to offer you some advice on budgeting etc, so you can repay your debts and make the most of the income you have left over. What are your current repayments like per month? If you got one loan of €35k over 5 years you're looking at about €740 per month, depending on your rate.

You have a history with a credit union. That is probably your best bet.

thanks for comments going to try speaking with my bank and renegotiate the repayment amount. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

As another poster said the Credit Union will be your best bet

• Advertisement
Advertisement