Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any idea's what these would be worth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I am no expert on foreign items but they don't appear to be very old so I shouldn't think they are worth very much. Any idea how old they are? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maz73

I am no expert on foreign items but they don't appear to be very old so I shouldn't think they are worth very much. Any idea how old they are? :)
    they are not that new. believe it or believe it not but they are in my family about four to five generations. i think that they are from India.

As I said I am no expert on foreign items but they looked (to me) like the typical tourist stuff brought back from India/Sri Lanka/Malaysia - I wasn't trying to be smart. If they are old it is just that the type of pieces produced for tourists haven't changed much down the years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

As I said I am no expert on foreign items but they looked (to me) like the typical tourist stuff brought back from India/Sri Lanka/Malaysia - I wasn't trying to be smart. If they are old it is just that the type of pieces produced for tourists haven't changed much down the years. :)

I would argue otherwise actually, the last piece looks to be the most promising, have you looked for any signs on them, producer etc?

I'd take them to a valuer myself, my gran aunt died, and she had a load of india stuff left over from one of her uncles. Inclduing a table very much like that, couple of hundred euro we sold it for, if I remember correctly.

Do check it out though.

Funny - I would have thought that the table was the least valuable. Let me know where you live and I will post the contact details for some local dealers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maz73

i brought them to get them valued today in wexford
    i was shocked when i heard how much he said for the stand he said €3,500 and 1,500 for the vase i didn't bring the table as it wouldn't if in my car.

any where i can sell these?

maz73 wrote: »
    i brought them to get them valued today in wexford
    i was shocked when i heard how much he said for the stand he said €3,500 and 1,500 for the vase i didn't bring the table as it wouldn't if in my car.

any where i can sell these?

So am I shocked. Where did you get them valued and why did you not ask the person who valued them did he want them or where to sell them?

Keighery's City Auction Rooms in Waterford http://www.cityauctionrooms.com/default.asp
    would be your best bet in the South East but if you really believe they are valuable some of the Dublin Auction Houses just as James Adams or Joe Mullen in Laurel Park, Bray would be worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Hi Maz ,
    I would have to question the valuation on these items ?
    I feel you may have been lead astray a bit to be honest .

The stand and vase are both resin , and not ivory .
    the stand is washed with stainer to simulate aged ivory .
    Of course , you wont get a straight tusk , and certainly not of that size either.

An easy way to tell the resin (a plastic/bone meal mix) is to run the hot pin test .

Burn a metal pin as hot as you can and stick it into the base (or somewhere that wont affect the appearance) .
    Should it be ivory , the pin wont enter .... if resin then you'll feel it pierce the object and prob smell the melting .

The table looks typical 1960's also .

BUT bring them to Keighry's for a professional opinion

Wild Dogger - now you have it - I couldn't put my finger on it, as I said foreign stuff is not my scene but I think you're right resin it is!

Advertisement