Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine Books!

Options
  • 24-01-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I'm 16 and very interested in doing Medicine. I would love to have some Medical books, preferably jargon-free! Could anyone steer me in the right direction as regards good medical books to get that would be suitable for me? I would love to know more about anatomy, the different systems (particularly the Circulatory System!), disorders and diseases etc.

Many Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

stick to the old biology leaving cert books at the mo, as you will need a basic understanding first. If you are particularly interested in anatomy, maybe get an atlas and have a look at the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Textbooks are expensive! Though I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at how accessible and readable my Anatomy (Gray's Anatomy for Students) and Physiology (Sherwood) books are when I got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

You could get a combined anatomy and physiology book. They're slightly more accessible than separate books, they work out cheaper, and still have the important info.

Amazon is your friend!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkwood

Be very careful buying books, particularly the combined type. They're often written by people with only an entry-level knowledge of the subject, so are full of mistakes. I distinctly remember finding a really cool and professional looking book in a general bookstore once, and wondered why I had never heard of it before. After perusing it for a few minutes, I soon found out why; it was littered with mistakes that only I was able to spot because I was already a Med student, hence it's relegation from the Textbook section to Popular Science!

I would echo previous posts though and say Sherwood's Physiology and Gray's for Students are excellent starting points. These were the rocks upon which I built my first year in Med school! Gray's can be a bit tedious though if you don't know all the terminology, but Sherwood reads much more like a discursive text than a textbook. There were times I just sat down and read it because I enjoyed it, especially all the little info boxes scattered about the place that are more like newspaper articles...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The internet has plenty of free resources, depending on what your interested in. I wouldn't waste your money on buying expensive books, which cost upto 70 yoyo a pop. Worth remembering that the books won't tell you how to insert lines and stay awake for 36 hours!

• Advertisement

That is very true. PubMed and Google Books are very good resources for free medical books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

There are quite a few chapters here which may be of interest of you.
    Start off with anatomy and physiology.

Edit: I just remembered that entire 1918 volume of Grays can be found http://www.bartleby.com/107/. Its pretty old, and Im sure there have been a lot of advances in the field of anatomy since then, but the illustrations are gorgeous.

And I would agree with Piste below,
    If you want a brief introduction to Anatomy, Monkhouse is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think Monkhouse is lovely and simple because he doesn't go into nearly as much detail as Gray. My dad got me a big Anatomy atlas for non-medics for Christmas. I've only had a flick through it so far but it seems really interesting, there are little tidbits about history and stuff you wouldn't need to know for exams but are interesting none the less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Textbooks are expensive! Though I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at how accessible and readable my Anatomy (Gray's Anatomy for Students) and Physiology (Sherwood) books are when I got them.

Agreed. Gray's Anatomy is a pretty good book, fairly easy to understand.
    As for physiology, I find Vander's to be excellent. It's got all the basics of every system laid out and then goes into further detail of each. It's come in handy for nearly every module I've studied so far, definitely my most used book.

These books are damn expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Hotaru wrote: »
    These books are damn expensive though.
    I saw an anatomy book the last day for €20.I've never heard of it before though.I think thet one of the authors is Wolff.Does anyone know if it's any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm the same age as you, love all things medical and I have the real Grays Anatomy and this book
    http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Coloring-Workbook-Princeton-Review/dp/0679778497
    Its really good. Also, most libraries have like those pocket medical books all the med students go round with.
    Also this website has videos of surgeries and a doctor explains what and why they're doing it
    http://www.orlive.com/

Also this website has videos of surgeries and a doctor explains what and why they're doing it
    http://www.orlive.com/

This is a pretty good website; I use it sometimes for studying or just curiosity for something I saw in the hospital...

Podcasts can be long though, be prepared to sit and watch a while!

Advertisement