Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAWS RE DOGS ON LEAD

Options
  • 24-01-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all. I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to the laws pertaining to having dogs on leads!

I would love to get them in cold, hard black and white print!

Am I wrong in assuming it’s supposed to be at the discretion of the dog owner?

I had a lad from the county council a few months back tell me that it was legally enforceable to have leads on all dogs, not just certain “dangerous breeds”!

And more specifically, (im pushing my luck here), whats the situation with dogs on the curragh, with all those sheep around?

I would LOVE if someone could help me out here, or at least point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance,

Ledd.
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Control of Dogs Act

It is (I believe) at the discretion of the dog owner - but the Act states that
    ''Your dog must be accompanied by and be under your effective control or the control of another responsible person if it is outside your home or premises or the home or premises of the person in charge of it.''
    i.e. if it's off a lead it needs to be under your full control

Regarding the 'restricted' breeds, they have different rules under the The Control of Dog Regulations 1998.
    "The rules state that:

* These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    * These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
    * These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times."

I'm not sure where the standing is on out in the open, but I wouldn't trespass on private property (if you're referring to going through perhaps someone elses field) without their consent, and I'd be wary of letting my dog loose around someone elses sheep. A farmer or owner may not appreciate it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well on a similar note--Brought the younger ones to the Memorial Park in Islandbridge this afternoon and even though it states on the gate "Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times" I counted at least 10 dogs off their leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye sorry, Hellrazer makes a good point, some parks and areas will state if dogs are to be kept on a lead.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its annoying.I keep my dog on the lead after seeing signs like these and other irresponsible owners just choose to ignore it.Does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

All good stuff!

Thanks for the input folks :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its annoying.I keep my dog on the lead after seeing signs like these and other irresponsible owners just choose to ignore it.Does my head in.

Agreed, so annoying. One time was in the park with Tilly on a lead (she is a tiny yorkie BTW) and a dalmation came over, no lead, and started attacking her while the owner just looked on. I had to try and pick her from under the dog, could easily have gotten bitten but had no other choice as the dog was biting her, she was roaring poor baby.

I gave out s**t to him and all he said was that she barked at him so it was her fault. my blood was boiling. it still is now actually just typing this. so irresponsible.

Advertisement