Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet to help me (urgent)

• 24-01-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi guys im currently studyin for leaving cert (a bit) Playing in a band teaching guitar and training for athletics EVERY Day im sstartin to feel drained can anyone help me with some good high enrgy foods to keep me goin cuz my diet is ****e!:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bev

+1 on the LC.

You should have a look for Nakd raw food bars - think you can get them in Tesco, they're good to give an energy boost on the go. They're just dried fruit and nuts with no sugar or additives, but somehow taste like apple pie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hi guys im currently studyin for leaving cert (a bit) Playing in a band teaching guitar and training for athletics EVERY Day im sstartin to feel drained can anyone help me with some good high enrgy foods to keep me goin cuz my diet is ****e!:confused:

Can the band and guitar lessons not be put on hold until may?? :confused: Take it from me when the college/school stuff gets too much a brilliant diet won't save you from having a nervous breakdown. It would be wise seeing as it's nearly february to focus your energy on the exams and training.

I ended up on 2 types of medication for panic attacks and depression and got stuck with IBS from being in a similar situation to yours for a year or two. It's not worth it when the problems you develop still haven't gone away years later.

Try and stay away from tea, coffee and caffeine pills and use green tea if you need something to study and drink loads of fresh water or herbal tea.

Eat plenty of veggies and good quality protein, cut out the refined grains, bread, sugar containing foods and sweets as these wil do your energy levels no good whatsoever.

More than anything make sure you get at least 8hrs sleep a night and try not to study till midnight and go to bed straight after give yourself time to unwind every evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

hi khrystyna100,
    Well the guitar lessons is narrowed down to one student and the band is basically my job giggin on the weekend and making a bit of money so its really only a saturday nite (keeps me off the beer anyways!)

i def agree with the green tea and herbal teas thing im on the ginger and ginseng ones there grand!

Any more tips can u elaborate on refined grains and all that please?

what would be a gud study plan like in relation to time for study and rests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

hi khrystyna100,
    Well the guitar lessons is narrowed down to one student and the band is basically my job giggin on the weekend and making a bit of money so its really only a saturday nite (keeps me off the beer anyways!)

i def agree with the green tea and herbal teas thing im on the ginger and ginseng ones there grand!

Any more tips can u elaborate on refined grains and all that please?

what would be a gud study plan like in relation to time for study and rests?

Sh*t sorry I thought you were taking guitar lessons and just laying in a band for the hell of it not for income, can see how you're finding it tough in that case!

For the grains just get 100% wholemeal bread, cut out breakfast cereals apart from porridge or muesli (check it has no sugar added), try brown rice, you can get brown pasta and noodles (wheat, spelt, buckwheat etc..) in asian and health food shops.

Good proteins are oily fish (esp for the brain), lean meats, beans, nuts and seeds, lentils and the likes.

Don't eat any sweets, biccies, cakes, squash, soft drinks etc.. if you can or you'll have a sugar crash and you'll have no energy left by the evening and you'll find it way harder to concentrate.

God a study plan I don't know tbh, it depends on whether you're writing essays or revising and maing notes etc.. if you're writing essays you get on a roll and it's best to stick with it while the creative juices are flowing in the right direction! ;)

I'd say just take lots of rests (maybe every 45mins to hr it depends on your own stamina), I always drink a cup of herbal tea and try and get outside from some fresh air aswell even if it's just standing in the garden for 2 mins. It's a good idea to study with an oen window when to weather permits it to keep the brain well ventilated! :p

Like I said try and stay in a good habit of rising early and going to bed early but not if it means you won;t get 8 hrs sleep (like after a gig), if you find it hard to nod off straight away a beer or glass of wine or some valerian tincture if you don't drink before bed will hel put you into a deeper sleep more quickly.

Anymore questions just ask! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Nuts are great for energy and bossting you!!

Smoothies are good to!!!

As said earlier the raw bars are great - the best two for fats are chocolate and bananna :):)

As Khrys said try not to eat sugar as you will get a sugar low, take it from someone who knows (4th year college) the sugar lows are deadly!!!!

Best of luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Keep your blood sugar levels topped up (not particularly high, but don't let them dip- a good slow-release energy source like porridge is great for this) as your brain needs glucose for fuel. I know it's a pretty bad diet, but when I was doing the LC I just ate non-stop. As in two dinners a night non-stop. It kept me happy though. You could do what I did, but a bit healthier (so no lasagne followed by stir fry >_>) by snacking a good bit to keep yourself full, which will help you concentrate and feel more energised.

Advertisement