Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand Up Open Mics in Galway

Options
  • 24-01-2010 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey does anyone know where there are open mics for stand up comedy in Galway? Me and my friend want to give it a go. Oh and to make things harder we're only 16 so is there anywhere in Galway we could try doing some stand up? Or near Galway city. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Probably not since your so young. You'd really want to have had some experience with sober crowds before you go before a room full of drunk people.

Your idea of funny probably wouldn't work with an older crowd either, that's nothing against you but peoples opinions and humour changes as they get older and what you found funny at 16 won't be funny at 20.

I'm sure there are youth groups that would be much better suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Is that youth cafe/centre on Francis St still open? They used run gigs and talent shows and stuff for teens there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I don't know about the age thing, but The Cellar do an Open Mic on Wednesday nights and Oslo Bar in Salthill do them as well.

At the last Cellar one, three lads got up and sang "Snake Eater" from Metal Gear Solid 3"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The Cellar do an Open Mic on Wednesday nights and Oslo Bar in Salthill do them as well.
    They are nothing to do with comedy I'm afraid.

I don't know how it would be received, since they are meant to be hosted for musicians and singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

They've no problem with it. I've seen comedians, poets, dancers, **** like that.

But it is in a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I don't know about the age thing, but The Cellar do an Open Mic on Wednesday nights and Oslo Bar in Salthill do them as well.

At the last Cellar one, three lads got up and sang "Snake Eater" from Metal Gear Solid 3"!

haha, someone really should have video's that and put it on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

They are nothing to do with comedy I'm afraid.

I don't know how it would be received, since they are meant to be hosted for musicians and singers.

The Oslo is. I've been to open mic comedy in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check the Stand Up forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sandy Wedge

Try the city council meetings, I've seen some fantastic stand up comedy there, being childish is an advantage but theres alot of competition, biggest problem is getting your hands on the microphone. You can only join every 4 years but theres a great living to be made out of it, no joke!! :):D:eek:

Yeah, they allow stand-up in Oslo anyway. Never saw it at The Cellar, but I don't see what the problem would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 PMD14

So if we were gonna do an open mic, it would have to be the Oslo bar in Salthill then? I wouldn't want to do a place that's just for music. Being 16 would we be able to do an open mic there?

PMD14 wrote: »
    So if we were gonna do an open mic, it would have to be the Oslo bar in Salthill then? I wouldn't want to do a place that's just for music. Being 16 would we be able to do an open mic there?

Have you considered bending the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Why don't you post a few of your jokes or a clip of your routine and see what the response is before you do it in a room full of people?

Okay I guess I'll post one of my jokes then. I have loads written (mostly ****) and the following is my most recently written one. I also consider it one of my favourite. I don't know if it says much for how funny I am but here goes anyway. It's a long one.

Kid asks me one day at school if there's a disco after school. Now I don't know what he's talking about. There's no disco for a good while but I guess he's not talking about that. So I ask him to repeat himself. He asks again. So I answer him, "No there's no disco but do you mean hip hop dancing?" FYI our class was doing hip hop dancing lessons for some reason. He says, "Yeah disco, hip hop. Whatever you want to call it. It doesn't matter what you want to call it." Well it does matter what you call it or else no one will know what you're talking about. You can't just call things what you want and expect everyone to know what you're talking about. It's like if he asked me to pass him his coat but I only saw a bag and asked him, "Do you mean your bag?" and he says, "Yeah bag, coat. Whatever you want to call it." He still won't admit he's wrong though. And yes I realise that this bothering me this much is equally if not more as weird as calling things whatever you want and also probably slightly worrying. So then I start calling him Michael. His name's not Michael. It's Sam. He says, "Why you calling me Michael?" I say, "Yeah Sam, Michael. It doesn't matter. Whatever you want to call yourself. It doesn't matter." I don't let it go. I keep calling him Michael. He still won't admit he's wrong. I get the whole class to call him Michael. Eventually the whole school was calling him Michael. Then I changed his name on the school roll call. The teacher's started calling him Michael. Eventually he had a nervous breakdown and couldn't remember what his name really was. He started calling himself Michael. So eventually he admitted he was wrong. I say, "All right, I'll drop the whole Michael thing, c***face." He says, "Why'd you call me c***face?" I say, "Oh Sam, c***face. It doesn't matter." ... Yes I'm an evil genius and it does f***ing matter!

Okay after writing that out, I realised it's not half as funny as I thought it was first but I'd like to hear your thoughts anyway if you've read all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

PMD14,

If you think of anything funny or see something funny during your day, write it down in your phone or whatever.

I'm no comedian and have no desire to be, but I'm sure if I wrote down half of the funny crap I've come across in the last couple of years I'd have the makings of a pretty decent comedy set.

All I would need then would be talent and the ability to write the jokes into little stories to make them sound as if they really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Stand up is *way* more different to having a good joke. It is a combination of material, stage presence, ability to read your audience, and serious guts!
    The is absolutely no replacement for doing material in front of a live crowd. Try your mates first. Buy some beers and have them bring friends and do a set in a big sitting room. Have someone even film it on a phone, watch how you react to an audience and see what works and doesn't...
    Comedy is a hard road and don't expect to wow *every* crowd!
    best of luck with it!

I apreciate the advice and I know that there is more to it than just the joke but I would like your opinion on the joke itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I partly like it.. I like that 'take it to an extreme conclusion' humour. It's well paced until 2/3 way through then the writing gets a bit fuzzy. but seriously there is no way to judge unless you try it live. Delivery is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I apreciate the advice and I know that there is more to it than just the joke but I would like your opinion on the joke itself.
    Pretty awful to be honest and pretty much what I was expecting. You need life experience to tell jokes, you need to get out there and do as much as you can and the jokes will come.

Advertisement