Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag. Science Farm Project?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone have any tips for the farm project? eg.what goes in it,headings,recommended amount of pages,helpful sites ect...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

iI know it's attrocious, but I used Wiki so much, and just changed the wording, but the basic jist as to what grasses, latin names etc that are good to throw in there.

Mine was long, but when I went and viewd the paper last sept. I have scored 98 out of 100 on the project.

I had 10 species of grass and 5 species of weeds in the project. I had 6 sheep species, 10 cattle and 10 general bugs/liverfluke/heartworm, parasite-y things that "affect a farm significantly".

Obviously you need a study of a farm, including the farmland sketch. (birdseye view) and then about 4-5 printed type and 4 pictures of the farm and how it works etc, If cattle is it dairy or meat market? If crop, how do they store it, etc? If a mixture, how to they weight the importance of each.

Then there's the animal study, I picked the dairy cow, easy peasty, if you go to a dairy farm for your farmland study. Whack in some freisan-holstein stats and pics and whay hey, there you go.

The two crop studies, are a little trickier, you have to pick a root and a crop, so I picked:

A) Barley, easy to do, and while you do it your revising for your actual paper.

B) I did the sugarbeet, (because I was interetsed in it) It's not really on the paper as much anymore, because the factories were closed down, So i would advise to do one on the potatoe.

These studies again 4-5 pages typed 4 pictures, if you wanna take up some space.

I'd but the two plant studies under heading like: Planting, tending, harvesting and storing, pests.

And similarly divide the farmland study and the animal study into easily identifiable sections.

Hope that helps.

Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Thanks a million:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

DL Saint wrote: »
    Hi does anyone have any tips for the farm project? eg.what goes in it,headings,recommended amount of pages,helpful sites ect...

Read all of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467114
    SueGrabbit wrote: »
    iI know it's attrocious, but I used Wiki so much, and just changed the wording, but the basic jist as to what grasses, latin names etc that are good to throw in there.

Mine was long, but when I went and viewd the paper last sept. I have scored 98 out of 100 on the project.

I had 10 species of grass and 5 species of weeds in the project. I had 6 sheep species, 10 cattle and 10 general bugs/liverfluke/heartworm, parasite-y things that "affect a farm significantly".

Obviously you need a study of a farm, including the farmland sketch. (birdseye view) and then about 4-5 printed type and 4 pictures of the farm and how it works etc, If cattle is it dairy or meat market? If crop, how do they store it, etc? If a mixture, how to they weight the importance of each.

Then there's the animal study, I picked the dairy cow, easy peasty, if you go to a dairy farm for your farmland study. Whack in some freisan-holstein stats and pics and whay hey, there you go.

The two crop studies, are a little trickier, you have to pick a root and a crop, so I picked:

A) Barley, easy to do, and while you do it your revising for your actual paper.

B) I did the sugarbeet, (because I was interetsed in it) It's not really on the paper as much anymore, because the factories were closed down, So i would advise to do one on the potatoe.

These studies again 4-5 pages typed 4 pictures, if you wanna take up some space.

I'd but the two plant studies under heading like: Planting, tending, harvesting and storing, pests.

And similarly divide the farmland study and the animal study into easily identifiable sections.

Hope that helps.

Amy

You were lucky to get away with it. I would recognize information swiped from a wiki page when I am grading my own class and examining in other schools. I don't accept projects that have been lifted from wikipedia.

While it is quality over quantity, 4-5 pages is a bit skimpy for a project. Most projects I see have somewhere between 30-60 for each of animals/crops. 4-5 pages for me would be D standard. Actually it would probably be lower

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

Read all of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467114

You were lucky to get away with it. I would recognize information swiped from a wiki page when I am grading my own class and examining in other schools. I don't accept projects that have been lifted from wikipedia.

While it is quality over quantity, 4-5 pages is a bit skimpy for a project. Most projects I see have somewhere between 30-60 for each of animals/crops. 4-5 pages for me would be D standard. Actually it would probably be lower

|First of all I didn't "swipe" information, I used it as a reference, combined with my Ag Sci book.

Secondly if you read above, I was suggesting 4-5 pages per section. My project was a final 87 pages long, and it got me the A1. So I don't understand how you ended up thinking I was suggesting to right a 4 or 5 page long project.

Re-read mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

SueGrabbit wrote: »
    |First of all I didn't "swipe" information, I used it as a reference, combined with my Ag Sci book.

Secondly if you read above, I was suggesting 4-5 pages per section. My project was a final 87 pages long, and it got me the A1. So I don't understand how you ended up thinking I was suggesting to right a 4 or 5 page long project.

Re-read mate.

"I used wiki so much and just changed the wording" is swiping information off a website.

I understood perfectly what you meant by 4-5 pages per section. 4-5 pages per section is nowhere near enough per section. As I suggested many students do 30-60 pages per section

And I'm not your mate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement