Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROBINHO: I'M LEAVING MANCHESTER CITY

• 24-01-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/01/24/SOCCER_Man_City_Robinho.html
    Manchester City forward Robinho has confirmed he is set to leave Eastlands, with a return to Santos the likely destination.

City manager Roberto Mancini has named Robinho in his starting line-up for Sunday's FA Cup tie against Scunthorpe.

And the Brazil forward, who has been unhappy to find himself on the bench in recent matches, admits it could be his last match for City.

"What's important is to be happy," Robinho told Brazilian radio station Radio Bandeirantes. "Money is not everything.

"First thing is that I am going through a bad period.

"Here, Mancini said that I would play one game and another no.

"I didn't accept that and told him so. It's a World Cup year."

Speculation has increased that Robinho is set to leave City after he came off the bench against Everton last weekend, only to be substituted himself before the end.

Reports suggest Robinho, who joined City in a £32.5million move in 2008, is set to take a pay-cut to move back to Santos, with the Premier League club also continuing to pay part of his wages.

The 25-year-old progressed through the ranks at Santos and played over 100 matches for the Brazilian outfit before leaving to Real Madrid in 2005.

And he would love a return, adding: "The directors all agree that it's better to send me out on loan.

"It would be exceptional to return to Santos.

"Playing for Santos would help me in my path to the World Cup. It is my home, I know everyone."

Robinho also revealed that his friend and compatriot Diego had told him to join him at Juventus but that he had responded: "Di, I would do better to go fishing. No, I'm going to Brazil."

Bit of a shock in my eyes, although the lad has hardly impressed in the PL surely some team from a major league in Europe would have deemed him worthy of a punt?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's at Scunthrope at the moment hoping to impress potential suitors.... it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

M5 wrote: »

Just as well, he has been playing shíte. He's busy making Scunthorpe's full back look like a world beater as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Good luck to bad rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Goooooooooooooooooooood Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Good riddance, hope he never soils the English game again.

• Advertisement

Columbia wrote: »
    Good riddance, hope he never soils the English game again.

I think that's a bit harsh. His attitude this season hasn't been good but I think he did pretty well last year. We've seen the good and bad sides to him but unfortunately for him the bad side has shone more than the good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That_Guy wrote: »
    He's at Scunthrope at the moment hoping to impress potential suitors.... it seems.

He's bloody useless. Look at his response when he fluff any chance he gets. Seems to me like a couldnt care less attitude. The quicker he goes the better for all, and hopefully before the 1st Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Lads he wasnt even that good at Real Madrid ffs!

Over hyped to high heavens.

Hence how anyone who follows Spanish football would have been in shock at the price City paid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

His signing marked the dawning of a new era at the club, one not seen before. I'll never forget waking up that day to find out we'd signed. I was smiling for a week after. It hasn't quite gone according to plan but it's been interesting all the same.

Thanks for the memories Robson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Over-rated player with a bad attitude. Good ridance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I was smiling for a week after.

A lot of people were smiling about that, although for reasons that differ slightly to your own :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he should set up a support group with jo tbh

perfect match

he should set up a support group with jo tbh

perfect match

18 million well spent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

£33m wasted :D

A return to Santos though?
    I'd be surprised if Barcelona aren't in for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

A sensational player but unfortunately for everyone associated with the English game, England was not for him.

To all the people saying "good riddance" etc, would you be saying the same if someone like Messi came to England, wasn't a success and decided he wanted to leave to try and keep his place in his nations World Cup side? Give your heads a shake.

He's helped to put Manchester City on the map too so I wouldn't say it was a failure, £32m is loose change to the owners and his signing meant other big name players said to themselves "If the likes of Robinho are going there I might aswell give it a go too", looking at the bigger picture it definitely wasn't a failed signing.

Hopefully Steve Bruce is on the phone to him over the coming days :p :pac: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

A sensational player but unfortunately for everyone associated with the English game, England was not for him.

To all the people saying "good riddance" etc, would you be saying the same if someone like Messi came to England, wasn't a success and decided he wanted to leave to try and keep his place in his nations World Cup side? Give your heads a shake.

He's helped to put Manchester City on the map too so I wouldn't say it was a failure, £32m is loose change to the owners and his signing meant other big name players said to themselves "If the likes of Robinho are going there I might aswell give it a go too", looking at the bigger picture it definitely wasn't a failed signing.

Hopefully Steve Bruce is on the phone to him over the coming days :p :pac: :p

messi actually puts in a resonably good shift for most games (not to mention his fondness for scoring goals)

robinho and likewise jo...

duh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I presume he is going to Santos so he doesn't have to worry about fitting into a new team, what with the World Cup on the way. He'll be a returning hero there for a while and then move back to Europe after the World Cup. Where given his time at Madrid and City, he will probably score a few goals in his first 10 games before increasing tantrums force him out and on to the next club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Doocey wrote: »

It would surprise me more if Barca did go after him. The guy has been a shambles. Its not even the fact that he didnt fit in with the English style of play. He just made absolutely no effort. He's a bad egg. Not worth the hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Doocey wrote: »

Why on earth woud they be?
    It's a shame it didn't work out,got off to such a great start. As a City fan, I'm glad to see someone who didn't wanna be there gone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Waste of space.

Needs to add so much more to his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

hasn't he only started like 6 games this season??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rossie1977 wrote: »
    hasn't he only started like 6 games this season??

Around that yeah, but he was out for 2 months with a stress fracture in his ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Rob113 wrote: »
    It would surprise me more if Barca did go after him. The guy has been a shambles. Its not even the fact that he didnt fit in with the English style of play. He just made absolutely no effort. He's a bad egg. Not worth the hassle

Most of the world's best managers are those who are best at getting 'bad eggs' to play for them. Managing difficult players tends to be a hallmark of a great player.

Fergie with Cantona, etc, Brian Clough, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I wonder if Pep would be bothered with him. I reckon he wanted him at one stage, certainly someone to deputise and ultimately replace the off the boil Henry. Meh, I'd be happier with Silva, and considering Pep just ousted Ronaldinho I'm not so sure he'd have the patience for Robinho.

Don't gimme that. This guy is bad news. I used to be a big fan of his, from the glimpses I'd seen of his early days at Madrid, but I don't think he will ever realize his full potential and will go down as one of the great wastes of talent.

Epitomizes everything people despise in the modern game and nowhere near worthy enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Messi.

So yeah, good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

looks like he's put on a few pounds as well. He was a lot leaner when he first arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

did i read that right?

he'd like to go out on loan?

as in, he keeps getting his fat pay cheque but he doesn't have to work as hard?

waste of space.

but as Xavi said, he'll still go down as a marquee signing and the first real statement of intent from Manchester City under this regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In fairness to him he was one of their best players last year and had injury problems this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SlickRic wrote: »
    did i read that right?

he'd like to go out on loan?

as in, he keeps getting his fat pay cheque but he doesn't have to work as hard?

waste of space.

but as Xavi said, he'll still go down as a marquee signing and the first real statement of intent from Manchester City under this regime.
    He wants to go out on loan to get regular football as its a World Cup year.

That doesn't make him a waste of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

eagle eye wrote: »

I keep hearing Benfica online today. Surely City will organise a swap for Di Maria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

M5 wrote: »
    "Money is not everything.
    In fairness, the quotes clearly aren't from him :D

Although I'm a bit surprised by some of the reactions to this - he had some very good times last year (including taking Arsenal apart), as he did at Madrid, so while his attitude mightn't always be spot on, he's not the devil incarnate either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Given how thin City are on the wings, yes, yes it does imo. It's not the fact he's playing terribly, it's the fact he's not arsed to put any effort in from his own side to turn things around.

Robinho as a kid playing for Santos was blessed with more ability in his baby toe than the vast majority of professional footballers will ever realise. His talent is undeniable, however for most intents and purposes he appears that 'uncoachable' breed of footballer. With Robinho if it happens it happens, otherwise he's not going to bother his arse. Robinho has come across as a spoiled brat since his early days at Madrid, he just doesn't have the right attitude at the moment.

Maybe some time back in Brazil will make him realise how fortunate he is and galvanise him to add a bit of graft to his game, but I wouldn't be hopeful tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Very hard to see them getting a substantial return on their 30million+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

amazing how well off footballers always come out with line "money" isnt important. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

amazing how well off footballers always come out with line "money" isnt important. ;)

Hindsight is great!

Talented Brazilian doesnt settle in England, shock horror!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dempsey wrote: »
    Hindsight is great!

Talented Brazilian doesnt settle in England, shock horror!

He has a history of not settling anywhere, even at Santos he was never far from controversy. He epitomizes all that is wrong with mercenary Brazilian footballers at the minute.

He has a history of not settling anywhere, even at Santos he was never far from controversy. He epitomizes all that is wrong with mercenary Brazilian footballers at the minute.

It wasnt helped when Pele labeled him as his "heir" at the age of 15. There has been a huge expectation of him everywhere he has been. English Clubs have a history of not helping foreign footballers settle. Himself and Jo are undoubted talents but havent settled at Man City at all which points to an underlying problem at the club itself when it comes to handling of foreigners integration into English Culture. Its the small things that a club does for a player that can make all the difference.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In fairness, how much can a club do to make Manchester appealing to a Brazilian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

According to Mark Lawrenson, he heard from players at City, that Robinho was a major pain in the backside in the dressing room.

It wasnt helped when Pele labeled him as his "heir" at the age of 15. There has been a huge expectation of him everywhere he has been. English Clubs have a history of not helping foreign footballers settle. Himself and Jo are undoubted talents but havent settled at Man City at all which points to an underlying problem at the club itself when it comes to handling of foreigners integration into English Culture. Its the small things that a club does for a player that can make all the difference.
    Boo hoo, you're killing me here. I'd say the €150k odd per week would help 'settle in', even in Salford.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Boo hoo, you're killing me here. I'd say the €150k odd per week would help 'settle in', even in Salford.

Like I really care what you think :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ill still miss the excitment he brought to MCFC off the pitch! and the occasional but worth while bit of excitment he brought ON the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

That's a fairly retarded attitude, man.

He's in his early 20s, he doesn't speak a word of English and he has to move to a new country.

Think of all the shíte involved in general day to day life, forms for work, paying the electricity, the phonebills, and so on. Try doing that in a new language, and try not to make too many mistakes.

If you as an employer take time to help your employees settle in, they'll be happier. Didier Drogba said his first season at Chelsea was a nightmare, because his family were living in a hotel, none of them spoke English, and every day, after training, he'd have to go around looking for houses, schools, etc. Stuff like that doesn't happen easily.

Christ, the idea that you'd sign someone for £32 million and not help them settle in beggars belief. The idea that people think there's nothing wrong with ignoring the obvious difficulties of blokes struggling to settle in boggles the mind too.

According to Mark Lawrenson, he heard from players at City, that Robinho was a major pain in the backside in the dressing room.
    Link please to this hearsay.

That's a fairly retarded attitude, man.

He's in his early 20s, he doesn't speak a word of English and he has to move to a new country.

Think of all the shíte involved in general day to day life, forms for work, paying the electricity, the phonebills, and so on. Try doing that in a new language, and try not to make too many mistakes.
    OMG the poor fellow. From the slums of Brazil to the slums of Manchester, how ever was he expected to cope with paying electricity and phone bills. Hey, here's an idea, he could hire me for £10k a week and I'd get him sorted. He'd be bet into Coronation Street and kebabs in no time.

You are somewhat correct in laying the blame at MCFC's door however, because it was the most ridiculous purchase they could have made. Wrong player at the wrong club for all the wrong reasons.

No sympathy here for either club nor player tbh. Greed begets greed.

And you want €10k a week to be a personal assistant, greed begets greed alright

And you want €10k a week to be a personal assistant, greed begets greed alright
    Actually, it was £10k sterling so about €11,460 and some change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Link please to this hearsay.

He said it on Matt Cooper's show on Monday evening.

He said it on Matt Cooper's show on Monday evening.
    Oh so now its hearsay, hearsay. And no link for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

OMG the poor fellow. From the slums of Brazil to the slums of Manchester, how ever was he expected to cope with paying electricity and phone bills. Hey, here's an idea, he could hire me for £10k a week and I'd get him sorted. He'd be bet into Coronation Street and kebabs in no time.

You are somewhat correct in laying the blame at MCFC's door however, because it was the most ridiculous purchase they could have made. Wrong player at the wrong club for all the wrong reasons.

No sympathy here for either club nor player tbh. Greed begets greed.

Just to back your post up, there's welfare officeers in every club that do that for all the players!! Sure Stoke City's Tony Conroy is a ex-pat and is the FAI player welfare officer.

Anyway Robinho is a "champagne" footballer, Mancini was right to get rid of his ass!!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement