Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Train station

Options
  • 24-01-2010 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi folks, was looking at a house in New Haven Balbriggan last week, which am thinking about putting an offer in on. Prior to viewing the EA told me the train Station was just a stroll from the house!!!, but from I can gather it is at least 20 minutes, would I be right in thinking this. Unfortunately I dealt with 2 different EA`s on this, one to arrange the viewing and a 2nd one to actually view, and between them they didnt seem to have much info on the area, be it transport, schools, social activites, etc. If train station is 20 minutes I dont think I would be interested in buying. Can any Balbriggers give me some info on this, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Why dont you look at alternative properties in Donabate or Swords.

Train station in Donabate ,Malahide or Portmarnock

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

hi it would be about a 25 min walk alright from the station, some people walk to the station, others drive and pay for parking, others drive as far as the church park there and walk the 10 mins to the station or use the town bus service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

NorthDub wrote: »
    hi it would be about a 25 min walk alright from the station, some people walk to the station, others drive and pay for parking, others drive as far as the church park there and walk the 10 mins to the station or use the town bus service

I dont think I`d be into walking for 25 minutes, be ok in summer but not in this weather!!!. Do you know if the town bus service is regular, and does it come right up to new haven. I usually have to be in work for 9.30, so I guess would be getting train for about 8.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

If you're thinking of spending ???000 euro on a house/apartment would you not think it worth your while thouroughly researching the area first? Trying the walk, checking the train times, bus frequencies, crime rates, school availability etc. beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    I dont think I`d be into walking for 25 minutes, be ok in summer but not in this weather!!!. Do you know if the town bus service is regular, and does it come right up to new haven. I usually have to be in work for 9.30, so I guess would be getting train for about 8.30am.

The town bus circles the town every 20 minutes approximately and leaves from the side of Dunnes which is about a 1 minute walk from New Haven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

If you're thinking of spending ???000 euro on a house/apartment would you not think it worth your while thouroughly researching the area first? Trying the walk, checking the train times, bus frequencies, crime rates, school availability etc. beforehand?

Is that not what the OP is doing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

if you would need to be in town for half nine there is a train that leaves balbriggan at 8.15am which gets into tara st for just after nine, there are trains before that which would get in earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

sgarvan wrote: »
    Is that not what the OP is doing here?

I knew when I was typing that, my reply would come out wrong. Its just that I got the impression that the OP was at the 'putting an offer in' stage and yet didn't know exactly where the house/apt was in relation to things, if the local buses came nearby, was 'guessing' what time they could get a train at, and was relying on the selling agent for information.

I'm always amazed by how little research people put into the biggest purchase of their life. While Boards is certainly a great resource for finding out lots of things, an hour or so walking around a neighbourhood, is time well spent. As is reading the local freesheets, talking to people in the local shops/checking 'whats on' on their noticeboards. Some people recommend talking to the local guards or my favourite tip would be to go view the area at 9 on a friday night (teenagers favourite hanging out time) and closing time on a Saturday night. Having a look at the rail and bus timetables too.

I mean my posts in a helpfull way, and don't mean to be critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

5 minute cycle lock the bike at the station!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

I knew when I was typing that, my reply would come out wrong. Its just that I got the impression that the OP was at the 'putting an offer in' stage and yet didn't know exactly where the house/apt was in relation to things, if the local buses came nearby, was 'guessing' what time they could get a train at, and was relying on the selling agent for information.

I'm always amazed by how little research people put into the biggest purchase of their life. While Boards is certainly a great resource for finding out lots of things, an hour or so walking around a neighbourhood, is time well spent. As is reading the local freesheets, talking to people in the local shops/checking 'whats on' on their noticeboards. Some people recommend talking to the local guards or my favourite tip would be to go view the area at 9 on a friday night (teenagers favourite hanging out time) and closing time on a Saturday night. Having a look at the rail and bus timetables too.

I mean my posts in a helpfull way, and don't mean to be critical.

No worries, I know what you mean and you are right. I have done various research regarding crime, schools, transport to a certain extent. I spoke to one of the schools, one of those educate together places or something!!. I have driven out to Balbriggan several times in the last 3 weeks at different times, to try and see the area and people, for any anti social behaviour. Today I spoke to one of the neighbours where I plan on buying, he is only there 2 months, so could only give me limited info, but was happy there, for me the issue is transport, if the bus that comes through New haven is regular, I should be ok, is this bus an independent operator??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    No worries, I know what you mean and you are right. I have done various research regarding crime, schools, transport to a certain extent. I spoke to one of the schools, one of those educate together places or something!!. I have driven out to Balbriggan several times in the last 3 weeks at different times, to try and see the area and people, for any anti social behaviour. Today I spoke to one of the neighbours where I plan on buying, he is only there 2 months, so could only give me limited info, but was happy there, for me the issue is transport, if the bus that comes through New haven is regular, I should be ok, is this bus an independent operator??

The Town bus is a Bus Eireann bus, details here:

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202228402-Balbriggan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

agrif06 wrote: »
    The town bus circles the town every 20 minutes approximately and leaves from the side of Dunnes which is about a 1 minute walk from New Haven.

Depends where in New Haven the house is - and also how quickly people walk. It could be as much as 5-10 mins to the bus pick up point.

I live near Dunnes and it would take me minimum 20-25 mins at a brisk walk, in comfy shoes to get to the train station.
    The bus takes about 15-20 mins, dep on traffic and time of the day to get from Dunnes to the Station. Given that I would rather walk and save the money! :D unless its raining, and then I might opt for the bus, but only cos it literally stops outside my house so no waiting in the rain - remember, there are no bus shelters, so in the rain I wouldn't fancy standing waiting on the bus.

OP, there is also the Bus Eireann bus, which stops on the main dublin-Drogheda Road, so that would be a quicker walk as it is straight down the road, maybe 10-15 mins.

Advertisement