Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How popular?

• 24-01-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I was looking for a bit of help.

I am looking into doing a BA Arts degree in Maynooth this September as a mature student, just sent off my application this morning.

Was wondering if anyone on the course could give me their thoughts on the course and info on how they are getting along.

I am hoping to do Sociology, Anthropology and Philosophy....are these big/popular courses?...roughly how many students?...how many mature students?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Thucydides

Hey,

Firstly, I haven't studied any of the subjects you listed. Though from knowing people who have, yes, they are quite popular subjects. The ones that involve a lot of writing generally are. I would also say from experience that English and History are the two most popular mature student subjects.

Secondly, if I were in your position, I'd contact the mature student soceity. I don't have a mail. The Student's Union should be able to put you in touch with them. Infact, there's an elected Mature Students' Officer who should be a fountain of knowledge.

Thirdly, have a look at the recently published President's Report 08/09. On page 28 onwards it has a breakdown of all the student enrollment numbers. Also run a quick search for 'Mature Students' and there is some usefull news.

http://www.nuim.ie/publications/presidents/documents/08-09/PresReport09english.pdf

Enjoy your studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Turtyturd wrote: »

I am looking into doing a BA Arts degree in Maynooth this September as a mature student, just sent off my application this morning.

Was wondering if anyone on the course could give me their thoughts on the course and info on how they are getting along.

I am hoping to do Sociology, Anthropology and Philosophy....are these big/popular courses?...roughly how many students?...how many mature students?

Any help would be great.

I'm not sure about the philosophy (I think it's a relatively small class, could be entirely wrong) but definitely for the other two classes there are well over 300 students in total in each.

Rozabeez is taking Sociology and Anthro so she may be along in a while to shed some light on them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Any help would be great.
    Howdy, I'm a second year mature student. Sociology and Anthopology are big subjects, like History, English and Geography. Maybe 350-450 or so students, something like that I think? Philosophy in first year had maybe 150-180 students registered. Something similar for Greek & Roman. That's not to say all those people show up every class... you'll be doing exams and seeing people who you've never seen before despite being registered for the same class as you.

Bear in mind you can check out most of the Arts subjects for a few weeks before making your final decision though. You might, like me, go to five or six Anthropology classes and decide it's just not for you. Or the same with any subject you think you'll like, be open to other subject possibilities is what I'm saying.

If you want specific info on English, Philosophy, or Greek and Roman Civilisation I'd be happy to answer a PM. There's also a sticky with more info on individual subjects here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619090

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

See sticky at the top of the page. Not writing out my thoughts on Anthro and Sociology out again. However, be prepared for a LOT of reading if you take all three subjects. Also, a LOT of essays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I did Philosophy as my elective in 1st year (and loved it).

the philosophy would perhaps be the smallest yes, but in 1st year all the classes are big, and gradually getting bigger.

there are plenty of mature students, ( of which I half am, half aren't, long story...)
    but the mature student presence is quite good, we mature students <looks back and forth> have a mature student coffee and tea room in the SU bar, where it's kettles, teabags, milk, biscuits, couches and a kitty for the occasional 50cent coin to keep the supplies coming.

you're not forced to go there, but it's in case you want somewhere relaxing away from the annoying youngsters because we're so mature, we can handle self cleaning in a relaxing, "apartment on campus" sort of area.

there is also a member of staff in the student service dedicated to mature students especially, and of you apply for campus lodgings you can specify if you wanna stay with other more mature students, and not in a binge drinking "stack their cans on the windowsill, party every night" sort of flat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

we mature students <looks back and forth> have a mature student coffee and tea room in the SU bar, where it's kettles, teabags, milk, biscuits, couches and a kitty for the occasional 50cent coin to keep the supplies coming.

JEALOUS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thanks for all the replies, didn't even notice the sticky. I was guessing since most of the lectures were in the large theatre in the Hume building they would be pretty big classes. Anybody go through the interview recently. I am a bit nervous about that part and would appreciate any tips people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Thanks for all the replies, didn't even notice the sticky. I was guessing since most of the lectures were in the large theatre in the Hume building they would be pretty big classes. Anybody go through the interview recently. I am a bit nervous about that part and would appreciate any tips people have.
    Just try and stay calm. It's all about you letting them know that you really want to be in college, that you know why, and that you've at least had a look to see what some of the courses are about. That you're interested basically. It might help if you've some work experience in what you want to study, or if you want to work in the area you want to study. And even if the interview goes badly it's not the end of the world. I completely fouled mine up, froze, blanked, still scored a place on the summer essay writing course and from there got into first year. The main problem with the interview is that it's real short. Ten minutes maybe. Unless they've changed that... just keep it calm and friendly. It's very informal.

Advertisement