Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mocks 2010 *Read first post before posting*

• 24-01-2010 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for discussion of the Mocks. Please contain all discussion of the 2010 Mocks to this threads. Other threads may be deleted or closed.

A few simple rules to ensure this thread runs as smoothly as possible:
    • NO POSTING OF MOCK PAPERS: Any posts of the actual papers will be deleted and the user posting them will be banned.
    • USE SPOILER TAGS: If you are referring to any specific material on any Mock paper, make sure to use spoiler tags so that people who don't want to know what's on a given paper won't see. A spoiler looks like this:
      Your text here
      . To use spoiler tags, click the spoiler.gif icon.
    • We do not encourage anybody to post any details of any of the Mock papers. However, we recognise that you are all old enough to be responsible for your own actions here. So anyone who has problems with possible questions being posted online should refrain from posting in the thread, because this thread won't work if it descends into arguments about the advantages/disadvantages of posting spoilers.
    • All standard boards.ie rules apply here: no flaming, trolling, personal abuse or spamming. If you have an issue with a moderation decision, please PM the Mod in question. Do not argue about Mod decisions on thread.

A bit of clarification on what does and doesn't need to be in spoiler tags:
    "English was dire, I ran out of time. My comparative was so rushed." = This is fine. You're not giving away any information about the specific content of the paper. No spoilers needed, post away!
    "English was dire, I had no idea what to say for Kingship in Macbeth." = This is not fine. Spoilers please.

So, with that out the way, have fun posting and best of luck to everyone in the exams! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

SPOILER on History Paper, DEB:
    The moon landing isn't coming up on American History, and Vietnam (I'm 99% sure) is, as is the Cold War.

(I bet you're tempted now ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

What makes you so sure?
    Oh for anyone sitting mocks next week, my teacher told us from seeing the paper that
    Apprentice Boys is not on the mocks paper for History!
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 gossipgirl101

irish_man wrote: »
    Hi my teacher showed us the examcraft paper
    we are doin deb
    on examcraft there is a essay on Lear nd his journey
    I cnt remember the other one
    vision nd viewpoint came up
    poetry was kavanagh, Yeats, boland nd Keats
    bit odd to have 3 Irish bt that's the way it is!!
    We have to find out what is coming up in Irish deb paper especially the essay part!!!
    Hope this helps!!!

do you by and chance remember the full lear question? like Lear's journey of what....? thanks a mil would be a great help if you could tell me!!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

DEB Accounting:
    Control a/cs (either Debtor or Creditor) are a 60mark question. As is depreciation or revaluation (not sure which one, sorry!) Cash flow statements will be on the paper but I don't know whether it will be a 60m or 100m (but I hope 100m)

Does anyone know what type of budgeting will be on the DEB accounting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

What I know so far:

English:
    Examcraft: Boland, Yeats (comes up on DEB & examcraft), Kavanagh, Lears journey (presume general suffering & uplifting?), Literary Genre and General Vision and Viewpoint

King lear on examcraft is filial ingratitude and evil vs good
    1. We remain sympathetic towards Lear
2. Good v Love

LITERARY GENRE:
    1. "Good story-telling enables the reader to engage with the plot of the text"
    2. "The art of creative story-telling can add greatly to our interest in narrative texts."

[c]King Lear:
(i) "While we may critise Lear for his actions, Shakespeare ensures our sympathy for him by reminding us of suffering."
(ii) "In King Lear, Shakespeare dramatically presents us with a world in which the powerful forces of evil are overcome by the redemptive forces of love.

POETRY
1. "T.S. Elliot presents memorable themes in a fresh and innovative way."
2. "In her poetry, Eavan Boland explores personal and public issues in an interesting way."
3. "W.B Yeats deals with an interesting variety of subjects and his poetry is full of powerful images and impressive descriptions."
4. "Michael Longley confronts difficult issues in his poetry. His imagery is striking and his language is direct and often shocking."

Text 3- Competition 
QUESTION A:
1) which images shows competition best?
2) Most important point
3) What role does competition play in todays world?
    QUESTION B:
A letter recommending a photo.
    ESSAY TITLES:
1) Personal essay on things that arouse your enthusiasm
2) Speech- Beauty contests demean women
3) Modern day fairytale
4) Short story "... the triumph of the human spirit."
5) Article- parental pressure
6) Persuasive- dangers of overly competitive
7) Short story about 1 image in TEXT 3

Theme= Competing
    Key Points from Questions only!!
Text 1- Ladie's Day at The Galway Races
QUESTION A:
1)Impression Of writer
2) Does description appeal to you?
3) Four features of authors style efective.
    QUESTION B:
"... a conspicuous effort to dress up."
Write a report for radio describing effort of ladies to attract judges attention.
    Text 2- Competing Against Adversity
QUESTION A:
1) According to writer, its a gem of a movie. What aspects did you like?
2) Do you agree with the writer's assertion?
3) Four features of style.
    QUESTION B:
"...be forever homeless"
Detailed diary entry of a homeless person

Irish:
    Q1P1 Q on crime and Q on young people, Poems: Jack, Gealt, Faoiseam, Níl Aon Ní, Úirchill an Chreagáin, An t-oilean, Prós: 20 Blian Ag Fás, Cearrbhach, an triail ques on fimíniocht and easpa chríostacht.

Maths:
    Vectors, Matrices (easy ones), Circle, (idk, might come up every year but thats what she said). NO PROOFS!

French: ???? They're tight lipped, if anyone has an idea please share!?

Accounting:
    Tabular statements, Suspense accounts, Manufacturing account (Q1), Marginal costing, cash flow statements.
    examcraft accounting honours- Q1- company. 100 mrks q's are suspense, cash flow (i think) and interpretation of accounts.... Q8&9 are marginal costing and budget.
    as far as i know its production budgeting. marginal costing question we were told is very similar to 2004 question but theres definately a break even point graph coming up on the marginal costing question. The budget question is FLEXIBLE.
If anybodis doing Q2,3 or 4, they are Cash flow, Debtors control and depreciation.

Business:
    Business plan, idk what else, Q on entrepreneur I think. Surviving economic downturn as one part ABQ's, communications, marketing, entepreneurs, business things, laws and qualities and all that kind of thing.

Home Ec:
    Vitamins, protein, bacteria, light, families - history.

LCVP/Link Modules:
    Using examcraft, we had it today. Q on entrepreneur; Q4 I think, Q on work experience, 2 Q's on voluntary organizations(one core project, one weird one aha), Q on employment(skills employers want, 2 organisations that help unemployed and what they do).

• Advertisement

gemxpink wrote: »
    What I know so far:

English:
    Examcraft: Boland, Yeats, Kavanagh, Lears journey (presume general suffering & uplifting?), Literary Genre and General Vision and Viewpoint

Irish:
    Q1P1 Q on crime and Q on young people, Poems: Níl Aon Ní, Úirchill an Chreagáin, Magdelena, Prós: 20 Blian Ag Fás, An Bhean Óg.

Maths:
    Vectors, Matrices (easy ones), Circle, (idk, might come up every year but thats what she said). NO PROOFS!

French: ???? They're tight lipped, if anyone has an idea please share!?

Accounting:
    Tabular statements, Suspense accounts, Manufacturing account (Q1), Marginal costing, cash flow statements.

Business:
    Business plan, idk what else, Q on entrepreneur I think.

Home Ec:
    Vitamins, protein, bacteria, light, families - history.

LCVP/Link Modules:
    Using examcraft, we had it today. Q on entrepreneur; Q4 I think, Q on work experience, 2 Q's on voluntary organizations(one core project, one weird one aha), Q on employment(skills employers want, 2 organisations that help unemployed and what they do).

thanks!! just wondering if you know more about the english one? do you have the full questions? when are you sitting the paper?

thanks!! just wondering if you know more about the english one? do you have the full questions? when are you sitting the paper?

No I don't except for Kavanagh is a Q on
    imagery and language
    I'm sitting the paper on monday!! :(

gemxpink wrote: »
    No I don't except for Kavanagh is a Q on
    imagery and language
    I'm sitting the paper on monday!! :(

K thanks anyways! i wonder what the lear question will be..? his journey of what? do we get a choice of 2 lear questions though yeah?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

K thanks anyways! i wonder what the lear question will be..?
    his journey of what?
    do we get a choice of 2 lear questions though yeah?!
    Do you mind using spoilers like the opening post said? Some people don't want to know the questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Engineering spoiler:
    Question 1b-On the accelorometer, what it is what it measures,how does g-force apply to the acelrorometer,5 different types of motion,and everyday uses. Q2-Material testing-Impact test,stress strain graph,find young modules and how you would find aircraft internal flaws. Q5-Electro slag welding,submerged arc welding,safety in enclosed area,capacitor in the circuit and mig/spot welding. Q7- Slocome drill,forming and generating,safety on drill,cutting fluids,milling cutters(name 2),upcut and down cut milling and CNC maching.
    :D Hope this helps people....If anyone knows whats on french HL post it please! And maths OL please! thanks,dreading those two exams!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

ENGLISH Exam Paper 1 (the one with the barcode)
    Theme: Competing
    Dont have the paper with me but
    Question B - Homeless person's Diary
    and Write a letter to a photography comptetion recommending a photo (from an image on Text 3
    Comprehension: There is a few short story options, one on a modern day fairy tale
    Why beauty contests demean women, an article on something, and something on handling parental pressure

Paper 2
    Yeats, Elliot, Boland Longley (surpisingly not Kavanagh)
    unseen poem- I would argue that it IS Ironic
    Vision and Viewpoint (key moments) and Genre
    Single Text- King Lear
    a)basically how we have sympathy for Lear because of his suffering
    b) Powerful forces of Evil V's redemptive forces of love

I also have Maths Ordinary, but i cannot see how i can post spoilers of that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

KatCookie wrote: »
    ENGLISH Exam Paper 1 (the one with the barcode)
    Theme: Competing
    Dont have the paper with me but
    Question B - Homeless person's Diary
    and Write a letter to a photography comptetion recommending a photo (from an image on Text 3
    Comprehension: There is a few short story options, one on a modern day fairy tale
    Why beauty contests demean women, an article on something, and something on handling parental pressure

Paper 2
    Yeats, Elliot, Boland Longley (surpisingly not Kavanagh)
    unseen poem- I would argue that it IS Ironic
    Vision and Viewpoint (key moments) and Genre
    Single Text- King Lear
    a)basically how we have sympathy for Lear because of his suffering
    b) Powerful forces of Evil V's redemptive forces of love

I also have Maths Ordinary, but i cannot see how i can post spoilers of that one!

What about some of the part (c)s. I'm not really worried about Maths. Expect something good in it but can't. What about the Area and Volume part c?

Also, anyone yet know the Biology one? I'm kinda screwed for that, and must prove my teacher wrong. Don't you just hate when teachers tell you you're stupid when you're just actually really lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Eh, im just after checking for my Maths papers, Ordinary Level and i've realised that i dont have them with me,
    from top of my memory i think that Q8 Paper One had quite a difficult bit that involved derivative with something strange in it and I didnt have a clue how to do it. Oh, arithmetic Q1 was a bit tricky too, i'd advise people to go over the trickier questions on Q1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Can someone post ordinary level maths spoilers please! What came up on question 1 aritmetic..compond intrest?percentage error?
    And paper 2 question2, the line question,was that tricky?! And has anyone got any idea of the french HL mock?
    thanks.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Is there not aload of different mock papers going to different schools?

HL French anyone!? I have it on Tuesday and have no idea where to start :( Will gladly swap Irish notes/other exam papers for a few of the French Q's :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

As far as I know one of the Aistes for Irish HL (DEB) is
    fadhbanna na hóige
    . If that came up, could I just write the essay I have prepared earlier about
    daoine óga agus polaiteoirí
    or would that not be relevant?

As far as I know one of the Aistes for Irish HL (DEB) is
    fadhbanna na hóige
    . If that came up, could I just write the essay I have prepared earlier about
    daoine óga agus polaiteoirí
    or would that not be relevant?

Oh the other honors Irish class in my year has been told to be prepared for problems relating to drugs, alcohol and such so I don't think politics would be relevant.

Look, everyone, stop the fighting! The whole purpose of the thread is to help people out if they want it (hence the spoiler tags).

There are people in 5th year posting telling people how wrong it is. But if you're in 5th year, you don't have any knowledge of the stress of 6th year. The mocks come very early and some people are prone to stress. Personally, I think that mocks should be held in March, as in most subjects I don't have the course finished.

People that do choose to find out what may come up, know well that this can't be done the in the real thing. The mocks aren't to give you an accurate guess at how many points you will get (as teachers often give hints, the correcting standards are poor and the course isn't covered fully) but rather for students to get used to the physical layout of the exam, the timing involved and the physical sitting for 3 hours writing. Regardless of whether you know the questions or not, the mocks are still helpful for your real LC, but at getting you used to sitting the exams, rather than for predicting points.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Does anybody know what the HL aiste or diopoireachts are for either DEB or Examcraft? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Cian92 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the HL aiste or diopoireachts are for either DEB or Examcraft? Thanks in advance.

All I know is that one of the DEB Aiste titles is
    fadhbanna na hóige (problems with young people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Look, everyone, stop the fighting! The whole purpose of the thread is to help people out if they want it (hence the spoiler tags).

There are people in 5th year posting telling people how wrong it is. But if you're in 5th year, you don't have any knowledge of the stress of 6th year. The mocks come very early and some people are prone to stress. Personally, I think that mocks should be held in March, as in most subjects I don't have the course finished.

People that do choose to find out what may come up, know well that this can't be done the in the real thing. The mocks aren't to give you an accurate guess at how many points you will get (as teachers often give hints, the correcting standards are poor and the course isn't covered fully) but rather for students to get used to the physical layout of the exam, the timing involved and the physical sitting for 3 hours writing. Regardless of whether you know the questions or not, the mocks are still helpful for your real LC, but at getting you used to sitting the exams, rather than for predicting points.
    Am I the only one who saw that post?

Now if you guys can't stop fighting can you at least open another thread for this argument, so that this one doesn't get locked because of you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Life in the capitalist culture we live in is all about trying to get ahead by any means necessary (within the law for the most part).
    This is just another case of people taking the advantage, moral or not, to get ahead. when the leaving cert rolls around they may find another loop to use to their advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

*sigh* Looks like some of you could do with a little reminder of the rules:
    [*]We do not encourage anybody to post any details of any of the Mock papers. However, we recognise that you are all old enough to be responsible for your own actions here. So anyone who has problems with possible questions being posted online should refrain from posting in the thread, because this thread won't work if it descends into arguments about the advantages/disadvantages of posting spoilers.

I have deleted 22 posts that violated this rule. Any more will result in infractions and/or a ban.
    Consider this a final warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Anyone know whats coming up on pass Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Anyone any idea of biology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 wasssuuup

yeah i need biology too... good thread, like the absence of people moaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

wasssuuup wrote: »
    yeah i need biology too... good thread, like the absence of people moaning!
    Our teacher told us to prepare for:
    Ecology, populations in particular. Experiment@ Isolate DNA from a tissue and an enzyme experiment. Digestive system is to come up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 wasssuuup

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Ecology, populations in particular. Experiment@ Isolate DNA from a tissue and an enzyme experiment. Digestive system is to come up too.

ok thanks... thats the
    kiwi expirament right
    ? im so screwed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

NufcNavan wrote: »

Sounds like my one :D My teacher said he'd fit one extra chapter in before and it just happened to be
    the digestive system
    :P He said it's more likely to be short question in an exam...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement