Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mocks 2010 *Read first post before posting*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 wasssuuup

laura93 wrote: »
    Sounds like my one :D My teacher said he'd fit one extra chapter in before and it just happened to be
    the digestive system
    :P He said it's more likely to be short question in an exam...

did he give ye any tips?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

wasssuuup wrote: »
    did he give ye any tips?...

None at all
    He just said we will be able to answer all of Section A & B, and there will be 1 or 2 questions on Section C we won't be able to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

just out of curiousity, isn't it different companies that make the mock papers? so when someone says for example
    Boland is on the english paper
    , would that not be just for their mock paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

English:
    Yeats defo coming up.

Irish:
    Aiste - Fabanna na daoine hoige. Drama - An phriomteama agus an bhforbairt. Filiocht - Think Faoiseamh a gheo..

Geography :
    Short Q: Isobars, satilitte images. Cap + Cfp. Biome - Development of a biome. Example MNC locating in Ireland. Corrib Gas Line. Dublin Region.(?) Sketch map of Ireland.

Biology:
    NADPH. Draw sketch of Kidneys.. Human + Plant reproduction. Pro+Eucariotic. Ecology. Genetics. Digestion. Virses.

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ddef wrote: »
    just out of curiousity, isn't it different companies that make the mock papers? so when someone says for example
    Boland is on the english paper
    , would that not be just for their mock paper?

DEB and Examcraft are the two main companies that are supplying the mocks, Examcraft has a tick I think and DEB has a barcode??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Anyone have any idea of chemistry? AAAggggggggghhhhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rainbowpride

Hey any1 no whats coming up i the chemistry??

what experiments?

or anything??

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

gemxpink wrote: »
    What I know so far:

English:
    Examcraft: Boland, Yeats (comes up on DEB & examcraft), Kavanagh, Lears journey (presume general suffering & uplifting?), Literary Genre and General Vision and Viewpoint

King lear on examcraft is filial ingratitude and evil vs good
    1. We remain sympathetic towards Lear
2. Good v Love

LITERARY GENRE:
    1. "Good story-telling enables the reader to engage with the plot of the text"
    2. "The art of creative story-telling can add greatly to our interest in narrative texts."

[c]King Lear:
(i) "While we may critise Lear for his actions, Shakespeare ensures our sympathy for him by reminding us of suffering."
(ii) "In King Lear, Shakespeare dramatically presents us with a world in which the powerful forces of evil are overcome by the redemptive forces of love.

POETRY
1. "T.S. Elliot presents memorable themes in a fresh and innovative way."
2. "In her poetry, Eavan Boland explores personal and public issues in an interesting way."
3. "W.B Yeats deals with an interesting variety of subjects and his poetry is full of powerful images and impressive descriptions."
4. "Michael Longley confronts difficult issues in his poetry. His imagery is striking and his language is direct and often shocking."

Text 3- Competition 
QUESTION A:
1) which images shows competition best?
2) Most important point
3) What role does competition play in todays world?
    QUESTION B:
A letter recommending a photo.
    ESSAY TITLES:
1) Personal essay on things that arouse your enthusiasm
2) Speech- Beauty contests demean women
3) Modern day fairytale
4) Short story "... the triumph of the human spirit."
5) Article- parental pressure
6) Persuasive- dangers of overly competitive
7) Short story about 1 image in TEXT 3

Theme= Competing
    Key Points from Questions only!!
Text 1- Ladie's Day at The Galway Races
QUESTION A:
1)Impression Of writer
2) Does description appeal to you?
3) Four features of authors style efective.
    QUESTION B:
"... a conspicuous effort to dress up."
Write a report for radio describing effort of ladies to attract judges attention.
    Text 2- Competing Against Adversity
QUESTION A:
1) According to writer, its a gem of a movie. What aspects did you like?
2) Do you agree with the writer's assertion?
3) Four features of style.
    QUESTION B:
"...be forever homeless"
Detailed diary entry of a homeless person

Irish:
    Q1P1 Q on crime and Q on young people, Poems: Jack, Gealt, Faoiseam, Níl Aon Ní, Úirchill an Chreagáin, An t-oilean, Prós: 20 Blian Ag Fás, Cearrbhach, an triail ques on fimíniocht and easpa chríostacht.

Maths:
    Vectors, Matrices (easy ones), Circle, (idk, might come up every year but thats what she said). NO PROOFS!

French: ???? They're tight lipped, if anyone has an idea please share!?

Accounting:
    Tabular statements, Suspense accounts, Manufacturing account (Q1), Marginal costing, cash flow statements.
    examcraft accounting honours- Q1- company. 100 mrks q's are suspense, cash flow (i think) and interpretation of accounts.... Q8&9 are marginal costing and budget.
    as far as i know its production budgeting. marginal costing question we were told is very similar to 2004 question but theres definately a break even point graph coming up on the marginal costing question. The budget question is FLEXIBLE.
If anybodis doing Q2,3 or 4, they are Cash flow, Debtors control and depreciation.

Business:
    Business plan, idk what else, Q on entrepreneur I think. Surviving economic downturn as one part ABQ's, communications, marketing, entepreneurs, business things, laws and qualities and all that kind of thing.

Home Ec:
    Vitamins, protein, bacteria, light, families - history.

LCVP/Link Modules:
    Using examcraft, we had it today. Q on entrepreneur; Q4 I think, Q on work experience, 2 Q's on voluntary organizations(one core project, one weird one aha), Q on employment(skills employers want, 2 organisations that help unemployed and what they do).

Your teachers seem to be practically GIVING you the paper :P lol
    Just wondering, in relation to the English paper, you mention examcraft and DEB... but which one is it that you got those exact q's from (i.e the poetry, king lear and paper 1) ? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Our teacher gave us a few hints about chemistry. Dont know what papers we use yet but she told us
    to concentrate on the redox titration experiments rather than acid/base. There is a question on ph tied in with water. There is a question on equilibrium, I think on the experiments to show le chateliers principle.
    The rest is the usual format of the exam papers.
    Hope this helps!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Danc124

Anyone had the German HL yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

student01 wrote: »
    Your teachers seem to be practically GIVING you the paper :P lol
    Just wondering, in relation to the English paper, you mention examcraft and DEB... but which one is it that you got those exact q's from (i.e the poetry, king lear and paper 1) ? Thanks :)

Okay just had Paper 2 today, there was a bit of confusion and I got some from friends who had done both.

DEB PAPER 2 IN FULL!:
    Section 1: (pick i) or ii))
    Wuthering Heights
    i) Love story between Catherine and Heathliff describe etc.
    ii) Evil + revenge

Dancing at Lughnasa
    i) Kate's superiority - interesting
    ii) Close family life torn apart

King Lear
    i) Although criticized, given sympathy by reminding us of his suffering
    ii) Forces of evil overcome by redeeming forces of love

Grapen of Wrath
    i)Horrifying and heartbreaking
    ii) Nobel prize - "great work", do you agree?

Blackwater Lightship
    i) Love and (can't read my own writing, ends in "ansness" - family
    ii) coming to terms with past

Section 2
    General Vision and Viewpoint
    i) "..is made clear through key moments.." discuss
    ii) adds to enjoyment (discuss for 1, compare 2)

Literary Genre
    i) helps us engage with plot - compare min. 2
    ii) adds to interest (discuss 1, compare 2)

Section 3
    Unseen poem is "Engineers Corner"
    1i) ironic or sincere
    ii) enjoyment
    2) personal response - impact

Prescribed
    i)TS Eliot - memorable themes, fresh and innovative
    -agree?
    ii) Eavan Boland - public and personal
    -personal response mentioning themes
    iii) WB Yeats - powerful images and impressive descriptions
    -give a talk to classmates
    iv) Michael Longly - confronts difficult issues, striking imagery, direct shocking language
    - personal response to imagery and language.
    **** PLEASE DO NOT COPY ELSEWHERE OR I WON'T PUT UP ANY MORE (ie don't post to allhonours.ie without asking ty)****

English Honours Paper One : --- (The company with the barcode only)
    Text 1: Ladies Day at the Races..
    A
    i) What impression of the writer do you get from this text?
    ii)Does the writer's description of Ladies Day at the Galway Races appeal to you?
    iii)Select four features of the author's style of writing evident in the text and comment on their effectiveness.
    B
    Write a report for your local radio decribing the 'conspicous effort' the ladies make to attract the attention of the judges.

Text 2: Competing against adversity (review of film The Pursuit of happiness)
    A
    i) According to the writer, the film, the pursuit of happiness is a "gem of a movie". In your own words, outline the aspects of the film the impressed the author most.
    ii) To what extent would you agree with the writer's assertion that Chris Gardner is a "beacon of hope"?
    iii)Would this review persuade you to watch this film? Give reference to 4 features of the writers style in ans.
    B)
    Imagine you are a homeless person. Write a detailed diary entry describing how you feel as you cope with a typical day on the streets.

Text 3: Competition (Text of written and visual elements)
    A:
    i)Whic one of the visual images, in your opinion, best captures the idea of competition?
    ii)What, in your opinion, is the most important point that the writer makes in the written element of the text?
    iii)Taking the written and the visual elements of the text into account what role does competition play in today's world?
    B:
    Write a letter to the judging panel of a photography competition in which you recommend one of the images in Text 3 for a specific award category of your choice. Explain why your image best suits the category you have chosen.

Section 2
    Composition.

1) Write a personnal essay on the things in life that arose your enthusiasm
    2) Write a speech in which you attempt to persuade an audience that beauty contests are demeaning to women.
    3) Write a modern day fairytale which would appeal to children today.
    4) "..the triumph of the human spirit" - Write a short story suggested by the above phrase.
    5) Write an article for a magazine for young adult readers in which you give them advice about how to deal with parental pressure.
    6) Write a persuasive articile or essay in which you warn people of the dangers of being overly competitive.
    7) Write a short story in which one of the images in TEXT 3 plays a central part to the plot.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Has anyone gotten O.L irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sxeboi

gemxpink wrote: »
    Okay just had Paper 2 today, there was a bit of confusion and I got some from friends who had done both.

DEB PAPER 2 IN FULL!:
    Section 1: (pick i) or ii))
    Wuthering Heights
    i) Love story between Catherine and Heathliff describe etc.
    ii) Evil + revenge

Dancing at Lughnasa
    i) Kate's superiority - interesting
    ii) Close family life torn apart

King Lear
    i) Although criticized, given sympathy by reminding us of his suffering
    ii) Forces of evil overcome by redeeming forces of love

Grapen of Wrath
    i)Horrifying and heartbreaking
    ii) Nobel prize - "great work", do you agree?

Blackwater Lightship
    i) Love and (can't read my own writing, ends in "ansness" - family
    ii) coming to terms with past

Section 2
    General Vision and Viewpoint
    i) "..is made clear through key moments.." discuss
    ii) adds to enjoyment (discuss for 1, compare 2)

Literary Genre
    i) helps us engage with plot - compare min. 2
    ii) adds to interest (discuss 1, compare 2)

Section 3
    Unseen poem is "Engineers Corner"
    1i) ironic or sincere
    ii) enjoyment
    2) personal response - impact

Prescribed
    i)TS Eliot - memorable themes, fresh and innovative
    -agree?
    ii) Eavan Boland - public and personal
    -personal response mentioning themes
    iii) WB Yeats - powerful images and impressive descriptions
    -give a talk to classmates
    iv) Michael Longly - confronts difficult issues, striking imagery, direct shocking language
    - personal response to imagery and language.
    **** PLEASE DO NOT COPY ELSEWHERE OR I WON'T PUT UP ANY MORE (ie don't post to allhonours.ie without asking ty)****
    can you post more info on examcraft english pls??? you said your friends are doing it??? tnks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Was mighty confused today. Got the paper, there was a tick next to Pre-Leaving certificate examination 2010 BUT then there was a barcode in the top right hand corner.

Did not have the paper 3_BOoYA_X talked about on page 3. I had the texts on
    euphemising, running and then the text 3 was about Jedward.
    I assume thats Examcraft and the barcode on DEB papers is more prominent?

Out of interest how long should a speech be for the composition?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Examcraft chemistry
    Titration was edta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 gossipgirl101

Conor108 wrote: »
    Was mighty confused today. Got the paper, there was a tick next to Pre-Leaving certificate examination 2010 BUT then there was a barcode in the top right hand corner.

please can you tell me some of the questions that were on the paper? id really appreciate it! i can help you with paper 2 if you want cos ive done it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 gossipgirl101

and what was the theme of the paper?:)

oh my god....thank you so much....can you tell me the organic chemistry exp. and the other experiment aswell?????? it would b much appreciated

can you outline the paper in more detail mate???? like the title of the persuasive essay and stuff....thanks :)

• Advertisement

Okey dokey. This is examcraft English paper 1.
    Can't remember too much but............
    There was text 1 on euphemisms, the part B of the question was writing a speech to a local radio station about the importance of showing respect to others.

Next text was on jogging. The Part A had bits like 'Why does the author feel joggers have contempt for the rest of humanity' and 'pick out 4 features of the authors style that appealed to you'. The part B was, I THINK, write an article about the dangers of excercising to excess.

The next text was on Jedward and the Celtic Tiger. Didn't do it so can't remember any details.

Then there were 7 compositions. If I remember correctly: (in no particular order)
    1. Write a speech where you outline the importance of political honesty.
    2. Write a short story where the central character is a dreamer.
    3. Write an article (satirical or serious) where you explore the current economic and policial situation in the country.
    4. Write a text prompted by one of the images. (Jedward was an image so was, a celtic tiger cartoon, a woman playing cello and a newspaper cartoon about NAMA)

So DEB has NO tick at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

Sat English paper 1 today, had a barcode but wasn't the same as 3_BOoYA_X's one :confused:

The theme was
    attitudes and opinions

First text was on
    euphemisms
    Second text was on
    my attitude to running and runners
    Third text was on
    contemporary opinions (Jedward/Xfactor)

Essay titles were
    1 'write a persuasive speech about the importance of political honesty'

2 'write an opinion piece for a popular magazine on the topic of social snobbery'

3 'write a person essay on the topic of obsessions'

4 'write a short story in which the central character is a dreamer'

5 'write a satirical article for a popular magazine in which you explore the current political and economic situation in Ireland'

6 'write an article for a school magazine in which you discuss the importance of popular culture in young peoples lives'

7 'write a short story prompted by one or more of the visuals featured in Text 3'
    :cool:

To my understanding Examcraft has a tick + barcode. Deb just has a barcode.

My script was Deb.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

please can you tell me some of the questions that were on the paper? id really appreciate it! i can help you with paper 2 if you want cos ive done it!!

oooh help me with paper two please..sitting it tomorrow :(

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    To my understanding Examcraft has a tick + barcode. Deb just has a barcode.

My script was Deb.

Ah that clears it up thanks! I was imagining secret plans between Examcraft and DEB to put both ticks and barcodes on all their papers to throw us off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

i'm almost sure there will be something on the pros of technology in french
    Chemistry(examcraft): heat of combustion, Equilibrium, eth'al prep and eth'oic prep
    bio: secondary characterisitics of male and female and male diagram.

does anyone know whats the story with music?!

Ah that clears it up thanks! I was imagining secret plans between Examcraft and DEB to put both ticks and barcodes on all their papers to throw us off:D

Haha.. A top secret arrangement yeah :rolleyes: Doubt it, the companies couldn't care less its a business their running.

i'm almost sure there will be something on the pros of technology in french
    Chemistry(examcraft): heat of combustion, Equilibrium, eth'al prep and eth'oic prep
    bio: secondary characterisitics of male and female and male diagram.

does anyone know whats the story with music?!
    ????what you mean??? what was q1 exp ????/ and what were the other two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Solidarity

Does any one have information on foundation maths, ordinary Irish, ordinary English and ordinary Biology.

It doesn't matter which company distributed your paper, just looking for information on what has come up so far.

• Advertisement

Solidarity wrote: »
    Does any one have information on foundation maths, ordinary Irish, ordinary English and ordinary Biology.

It doesn't matter which company distributed your paper, just looking for information on what has come up so far.

Erm, no most of them haven't taken place even in early schools yet, id say your best bet is just previous exam papers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement