Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please explain QCA!!

Options
  • 24-01-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi!
    Can someone please explain how qca works and how I'm meant to know whereabouts my average is at from the qca???
    my qca is 3.16 which i know is a 2.1 but what im wondering is what sort of a 2.1 is it??
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

3.6 is a first so up to 3.59 is a 2.1 so your nearer the lower end of a 2.1

what year are you in? if your in first year your qca is reset at the start of second year so it dosnt matter

if your in 2nd year its weighted to only be worth 25% of the total as is 3rd year(which is usually only one semester) and 4th year is worth 50% of the total qca

also in case you didnt know fyp is worth two modules pretty much so if you get an a its like you got two a's when it comes to calculating your qca

if you use the ul.ie search toolbar and search qca you get a pdf which explains it all

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rebel105

thanks for your reply...
    im doing a masters actually so its gonna count.
    iv looked up all those handbooks but they still confuse me!
    is qca out of a total of 5? so if im dividing 3.16 by 5 is that where im at?
    also one of my grades has changed (for the better) since i checked them first on friday....strange?? the qca has stayed the same all along tho.
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

PeakOutput wrote: »
    3.6 is a first so up to 3.59 is a 2.1 so your nearer the lower end of a 2.1

I think it might be 3.4 not 3.6

First class honours 3.40
    Second class honours grade 1 (2.1) 3.00
    Second class honours grade 2 (2.2) 2.60
    Third class honours 2.00

mid wrote: »
    I think it might be 3.4 not 3.6

First class honours 3.40
    Second class honours grade 1 (2.1) 3.00
    Second class honours grade 2 (2.2) 2.60
    Third class honours 2.00

i thought that too(and i hope its true) but thats not what this link pdf from ul says

that same pdf says the ops 3.16 is a 2.2 not a 2.1. if it is 3.4 that makes my next two years a little easier

also op qca is out of 4 not 5

edit; op your best bet is to speak with the head of your course and get them to tell you exactly what grades you need to get the qca you want thats what i plan on doing when i get back this week, iv tried to figure it out for myself and i think i know what it is but its so unclear i dont think its unreasonable to get the heads of courses to sort it out for you

rebel105 wrote: »
    is qca out of a total of 5? so if im dividing 3.16 by 5 is that where im at?

its out of 4.

I presume you add your semester 1 and semester 2 QCA's and divide by 2 to get the average for the year..

• Advertisement

i thought that too(and i hope its true) but thats not what this link pdf from ul says

that same pdf says the ops 3.16 is a 2.2 not a 2.1. if it is 3.4 that makes my next two years a little easier

I got it from page 13 of this "Handbook of Academic Regulations and Procedures"

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/388196739.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

edit; op your best bet is to speak with the head of your course and get them to tell you exactly what grades you need to get the qca you want thats what i plan on doing when i get back this week, iv tried to figure it out for myself and i think i know what it is but its so unclear i dont think its unreasonable to get the heads of courses to sort it out for you

I think that link is for Mary I? MIC is in the address.

It says 3.4 is for a 1.1 in the link anyway. 3.6 is the QPV awarded, not QCA

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    I think that link is for Mary I? MIC is in the address.

It says 3.4 is for a 1.1 in the link anyway. 3.6 is the QPV awarded, not QCA

lol completely missed that alright ignore that link so and that has improved my prospects considerably lol

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rebel105

this qca system is totally weird in my opinion anyway!!
    dunno whats wrong with ordinary percentages and telling people what mark they actually got in an exam...

rebel105 wrote: »
    this qca system is totally weird in my opinion anyway!!
    dunno whats wrong with ordinary percentages and telling people what mark they actually got in an exam...

well its the standard system in the states as far as i know and iv been told internationally its in far more use than the 1.1 2.1 2.2 system

having said that in all my results transcripts i have been given my mark (a,b,c) just not the percentage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Very simple (kind of) explanation here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102843

Advertisement