Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt considering lowering minimum wage

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dave ireland

imitation wrote: »
    I think the best solution is to freeze the minimum wage really, while its quite high in comparison to other countries, its just not possible to say all prices have dropped uniformly, what happens if you drive to work ? Petrols gone up, insurance has gone up, food might have gone down somewhat, but I think there are alot of necessity that haven`t gone down. It might be all well and good that hdtvs have gone down 15% and you can stick that in the CPI, but it doesn't mean somebody on the minimum wage can drive one to work or live in it !
    good point

"dont change your politician get your politician to change"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

imitation wrote: »
    I think the best solution is to freeze the minimum wage really

might get that in the public sector world,doubt the min wage worker will get that option :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

djpbarry wrote: »
    Ok, let’s say €130 per week for bills and rent, another €40 for food and €30/40 for transport (although 40 is pushing it) – that still leaves €50/60 for whatever you’re having yourself. Sorry, I’m not being disingenuous here, but I cannot understand how that cannot be considered a decent standard of living. It’s certainly not luxury, but it’s not exactly on the breadline either.

I agree that you can have a decent quality of life on the minimum wage, or on less than it. However if you don't wish to remain on the minimum wage indefinitely you may run into problems. My OH is currently on the minimum wage and works hard for it. She's also hoping to start studying part time for a degree next year. Add in college fees (not free if you're part time), extra transport, books and other materials and things stop looking so rosy. While it's perfectly possible to do this with the current rate, anything more than a very slight reduction would cut off this option for a lot of people.

If a significant reduction does need to be brought in to help businesses in certain sectors stay afloat, measures will also need to be put in place for people wishing to further their education and career prospects, and it will need to be implemented a lot more efficiently than the current grants system.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dave ireland

the discription that was posted on how a young man should/could live on low income could be done only if it was short term this is why most east europeen nun national use this low output high saving system its ideal if you intend to save & go, a 3 year work tour at even low pay can bring a healty fue bob that is trebled when they returned home due the cost of living in the east.
    "dont change your politician get your politician to change"

Advertisement