Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about the Dreamcast vga box

• 24-01-2010 7:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

Like I mentioned in the General thread, I'm looking to get a vga box or scart lead for the Dreamcast.

So, I would need to buy a vga cable as well to use with the box? How much do they usually cost? I don't think I have one. Regarding the sound, the vga cable only outputs the picture I think. I do have these red and white cables which are attached, I think they would be audio cables?

I took a look around there and found a yellow cable as well

istockphoto_3189440_audio_video_cable_isolation.jpg

The yellow cable I have is on its own and the red and white are attached. Would these be composite cables? The vga box seems to have slots for these too.

I read that the vga doesn't work with all games. Would I nearly be better just buying a scart lead? I was thinking of getting this third party one. I'm not sure if my tv has an audio in connection. I see audio out, component in and another couple of audio slots by one of the HDMI slots. :confused:

I am fairly hopeless with thisk kind of thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, the VGA box doesn't work with all games, and some that it purports to work with, I've found, look a little dodgy. Most games will have info on the back stating whether they work with VGA or not, so if the majority of your collection doesn't have this, you're not missing much.

My VGA box is picture only, as you say, so I connected a pair of headphones up to it when playing, but I've long since migrated back to a regular SCART lead. AFAIR, the regular DC leads plug into the VGA box, you don't need to get anything more.

I'm not really sure of the significance of the red and white leads in the auction picture, I was always under the impression that SCART was composite, video and audio, so I can't help you there. My SCART leads are official DC ones (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DREAMCAST-OFFICIAL-SEGA-RGB-SCART-TV-CABLE-LEAD-NEW_W0QQitemZ140371070531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN?hash=item20aec48e43) which I always feel more comfortable with (and I've used that seller before many times without issue)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The red and white leads are the left and right audio cables. I have them coming out of most of my scart connectors. They aren't necessary since scart carries sound but I used to use them in my old games room which had a hi-fi. I'd turn the sound off on the TV and have the sound coming from the Hi-fi system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Some games (which don't have the VGA flag) can be forced using a boot disk; see this thread: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=87243

If you want something cheap and permanent, try this mod: http://www.instructables.com/id/Sega-Dreamcast-VGA-Mod/

Advertisement