Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glass Tiles in Roof

• 24-01-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at a house in Cabra and it seemed that there was a skylight in the roof. But when I queried this with the EA he said that it wasn't a skylight that when the houses were built the Corporation put some glass tiles in the roof and then put stained glass in the attic access to get some light into that area. I checked on Google maps and it does seem to be common enough in the area.

Has anyone come across this? And, if so, was it expensive to fix? Was a whole new roof required, or could the glass tiles be replaced?

I'm worried that these tiles could cause the roof to leak, could crack and because of the lack of insulation could mean the house costs a fortune to heat.

I do like this house and was considering putting in a bid, however this puts a whole new spin on things and if substantial work is going to be necessary then I may have to think again.

Thanks for the replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Electric wrote: »
    Has anyone come across this? And, if so, was it expensive to fix? Was a whole new roof required, or could the glass tiles be replaced?

I'm worried that these tiles could cause the roof to leak, could crack and because of the lack of insulation could mean the house costs a fortune to heat.

This was a standard detail in the past. If its not broken why fix it?
    The whole roof will not have to be replaced in order to replace these glass tiles.

These thick glass tiles have been on this roof for decades and haven't cracked. They survived the Big Freeze. Why do you think they will crack now?
    The attic could be boxed out in timber around these tiles, diagionally to the ceiling glass, forming a tunnel. The walls could be fully insulated to prevent heat loss.

Speak to your Surveyor, get a professional opinion based on inspection of the roof. (It might not be felted under the tiles.)
    Electric wrote: »
    I do like this house and was considering putting in a bid, however this puts a whole new spin on things and if substantial work is going to be necessary then I may have to think again.
    It won't be difficult to replace the glass tiles with conc tiles, if you prefer. Don't let this put you off this house. Some would consider them attractive & certainly a practical way to light a landing area.

Advertisement