Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VLC Player Can Do The Following

• 24-01-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

For most people, VLC is the favorite media player because it plays everything they throw at it without hiccups. No hunting for codec. But VLC can do a lot of other things as well. Find out how many of these listed below you knew, and how many you did not.

1. Rip DVDs: VLC includes a basic DVD ripper. You probably would never use it when there are better DVD rippers available, but it helps to know that you can in fact, get a decent quality DVD rip with VLC. To rip a movie follow these steps: Go to the Media menu and choose Convert/Save. Click on the Disc tab.

* Here you can adjust the Starting Position and rip only specific titles or chapters.
    * Enter file name making sure to end with .MPG, and start ripping.
    * Click Save.

2. Record videos: With the new VLC, you can record videos during playback. The record button is hidden by default. To see it, click on View>Advanced Control. The record button will now appear. Clicking on the button while playing a movie or video will start recording. Clicking again will stop recording.

3. Play RAR files: Do you know VLC can play videos zipped inside RAR files? They play like normal video files and you can even use the seek bar. If the RAR file is split into several files, no problem. Just load the first part (.part001.rar ) and it will automatically take the rest of the parts and play the whole file.

4. Play in ASCII mode: VLC media player has an amusing ability, to playback movies in ASCII art. To enable ASCII mode, open VLC media player and click on Tools>Preferences. Open the section “Video” section and under “Output” select “Color ASCII art video output” from the drop down menu. Save it. Now play any video file to enjoy the ASCII art.

5. Listen to online radio: VLC includes hundreds of Shoutcast radio stations. You just need to enable it through Media>Services Discovery>Shoutcast radio listings. Now, open the Playlist and browse through the stations.

6. Convert Audio and Video formats: In VLC you can convert video and audio files from one format to another. Several different formats are supported like MP4, WMV, AVI, OGG, MP3 etc. To access the converter:

* Go to Media>Convert/Save.
    * Load the file you want to convert using the Add button and click Convert.
    * Now choose the output format and output file location.

7. Download YouTube and other online videos: First grab the URL of the YouTube video page. Now click on Media>Open Network stream. Paste the URL and click Play.
    Once VLC starts streaming the video, click Tools>Codec Information and at the bottom of the window you will see a Location box. Copy the URL and paste it on your browser’s address bar. The browser will now download the file which you can save it to your hard disk. Alternatively, you can record the video.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

You can also play VLC on as many screens as you like, really needs them all to be the same rez though

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Thanks for that some interesting stuff there to bear in mind:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Cheers for the post OP. Didn't know is could play RAR files! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ya that rar thing is gona come in handy.
    No more extracting downloads \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thought I might as well post this here instead of starting a new thread. Anyway is it just me or does VLC player not support .bin/.cue files anymore? i.e. I have a .bin and .cue file and trying to play either file results in error message. I've tried more than one and I definitely used to be able to play them using VLC because I've been using it for years? I found this thread on video lan forums which seems to confirm that they gave up supporting VCD's which seems a bit odd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

What's this a VLC love fest?

VLC can connect to a stream from the Mediaportal TV Server, and transcode it so it will play on other devices, like a smartphone.

Live TV on your smartphone, pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Vlc also supports gpu hardware decoding now too :)

Dunno about the .bin/cue things havnt tried that in years

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It also does screenshots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It can also stream video from a webcam, and I think the screen contents (not just a screenshot), but I haven't tried the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hand to abandon VLC... kept crashing when I created playlists with flv files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Yes VLC is a GOOD PLAYER!!

However,ANY PLAYER WILL PLAY WHATEVER! (Provided you have the codecs)

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

vlc rocks! it plays everything and does it quickly and start quickly. Its not bloated its made do carry out its function and thats it. Thats why is so much better that a lot of the other players out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

coldfire1x wrote: »
    7. Download YouTube and other online videos:</b> First grab the URL of the YouTube video page. Now click on Media>Open Network stream. Paste the URL and click Play.
    Once VLC starts streaming the video, click Tools>Codec Information and at the bottom of the window you will see a Location box. Copy the URL and paste it on your browser’s address bar. The browser will now download the file which you can save it to your hard disk. Alternatively, you can record the video.
    Is it just me or can any one else not get Youtube through VLC working? When I try it I get an error message. Fantastic media player besides though.

Advertisement