Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The bodysuit is back!

• 24-01-2010 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

One of the silliest, most pointless items of clothing there is - the bodysuit... I spotted a couple of them on sale yesterday.

Popular in the late 80s/early 90s, these garments were like leotards except they had to be fastened at the crotch - why? And more pressingly, why did I and others love them? :o

They were extremely skintight and they constricted breathing - a modern-day corset if you will. And the fasteners would sometimes pop open causing the thing to ride upwards until the two pieces that fasten together were hanging out. I was only in my early teens though when I wore them, and hadn't discovered drink yet, thankfully... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Yeah they've been back a while now. I don't mind them tbh, tucking things in is the look these days and these just take the hassle out of them. It's not like you can see the fasteners or anything, they're to be worn with shorts/skirts/trousers.

Unless I recognised one on someone from a shop I would probably just think they were wearing a t-shirt/vert tucked in.

I don't think they look half bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Revolting things. Rest assured it'll only be the morons who shop exclusively in Urban Outfitters & American Apparel who'll wear them in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If they were just close-fitting tops they'd be nice - it's the between-the-legs fastening malarky that baffles me.

Speaking of a return to the worst styles of the 80s/early 90s: anyone see River Island's new range? It's unbelievably disgusting.

I haven't seen anything worth buying in the high street in ages :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I hate the body suit!!

I walked to the local shop with the back of my body suit hanging out one time...

How embarassing...:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have a red velvet one, it's awesome! The fasteners don't bother me, I don't open them. If I need to take it off, bathroom or whatever, I just slip it down. I had an drunk incident where I couldn't get them closed again :rolleyes: Learned my lesson!

Edit: Quality that is GAS! <3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Can anyone post a picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

04L31WNUD_large.jpg

That's a 'body'..isn't a 'bodysuit' more like a catsuit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My understanding is it's called a bodysuit all right but sometimes abbreviated to just "body".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Seen a girl wearing them about a year and half ago, it looked great on her cos she had the figure I suppose. Shall post a pic laters. Gotta edit her face out first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

eth0_ wrote: »

First time round they were called a body suit, for those of us old of us to remember!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Shinyboots

no a catsuit has arms and legs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 nomdeguerre

Yeah they've been back a while now. I don't mind them tbh, tucking things in is the look these days and these just take the hassle out of them. It's not like you can see the fasteners or anything, they're to be worn with shorts/skirts/trousers.

Unless I recognised one on someone from a shop I would probably just think they were wearing a t-shirt/vert tucked in.

I don't think they look half bad.

Don't know about the comfort etc coz I'm a boy, but I reckon they look pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I don't own one, but I do think they look good with high waisted stuff.
    It save your top scrunching up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Haha. They remind of my gymnastics days.

My Mother always used to wear them when I was growing up. She still does under jeans. They are handy underneath high waisted skirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Sometimes I tuck my top into my tights so I imagine this can't be so different to that. I had one in the 90s, ah memories...

Finally got round to getting that pic.

bodysuit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I think that'd be nice if you couldn't see it tucked into the crotch area, as it is - it looks like a swimsuit.

Yeah the skirt is hanging a bit low off her there, she has got her arms up though, so the skirt could have fallen off a bit. She definitely has the figure to pull it off anyhoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I think that look is horrible on the girl. She has the figure to look amazing but the way she's wearing it just cheapens her I think.

I bought one of these yesterday but it's mostly just for work. I lean and stretch a lot so I wanted to stop my tshirts coming out all the time. Haven't decided if I'll keep it though. I cant decide if they're a good or bad idea!

Side note: how annoying is it to have to start from scratch again with your posts! Can't link or post anything yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

Revolting things. Rest assured it'll only be the morons who shop exclusively in Urban Outfitters & American Apparel who'll wear them in public.

And whats wrong with Urban Outfitters or American Apparel? I got a few to wear to work under skirts , there brill, but i agree i do think u defo have to have the right body shape for them, like everything else i supose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

They are wonderful for keeping your back warm during the could weather, I love the one I have! Granted I wouldn't wear it so it's visible but it's great for keeping everything smooth underneath tops :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Damn, I thought you meant those all-in-one suits were back like in this vid .. :( (about a minute in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think these were stylish maybe two years ago, like when yer one from CSS used to wear them. Now they're just sort of everywhere...

Advertisement