Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hand Held Weed Wipers

• 24-01-2010 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just thinking about one at the moment, will have to see how the money is later on in the year. I've got rushes (yes, I need to drain too), bracken, and thistles. I've got a Matabi 16 litre sprayer which I used last year to knock most of the bracken, well, we'll see how good the crop of it is this year but I reckon I hit them real hard.

I wonder would a weed wiper be better for doing the rushes and thistles? Dad used to have one years ago, but it only had a very small bottle on the end, no more than 1.5-2 litre capacity I'd say. Are there any weed wipers fed from a backpack?

There are a fair amount of rushes and I'm sick of them to be honest. I'll probably end up treating some areas while ewes and lambs are still in, so that's what got me thinking wiper rather than sprayer.

The thistles are on the increase, I want rid of them this year, on a bit of a mission as I sprayed a lot of the low gorse with brushwood killer and that done a good job on them. (Trying to minimise prickly stuff, see if it has a reducing effect on Orf).

Tractors etc are useless because of the ground which is extremely uneven and soft in places.

Over to the forum for thoughts :)

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

How much ground do you have to cover? If the ground is too rough for a tractor, would a quad and a weed wiper travel there. if you haven't much to do a hand held would be very handy!

Spotted this site a bit ago with hand held weed wipers!
    www.mazacze.com.pl/index_en.html

They don't hold much volume of spray but if you contacted them, they might have a knapsack container for one of them. Happy wipping if you get sorted!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Well I suppose if I was to guesstimate I would think there's less than two acres of rushes in the place. They're spread out, but every day I think what a waste of land! I wouldn't be sure whether a quad could tackle it or not, it could get around it but I'd be worried about the boom getting knocked about at different angles, ground is real, shall we say, challenging :D

The biggest concern for me would be having a relatively safe method of getting the chemicals out without harming the animals who would be grazing there. They would be ewes with twins that I can't shift out on to the hill.

Thanks for the link + reply :)

Advertisement