Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Camera !

• 24-01-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭

Finally finished my 8x10 that's been sitting idly in a press for quite a while. I spent ages trying to assemble some sort of complicated clever way of holding in the ground glass and film holders, eventually I settled on rubber bands :D

Takes normal 8x10 film holders, 300mm Industar 37 in front of a Sinar leaf shutter, all bolted onto nested foamcore boxes that do the job of focusing. Unfortunately shooting it and developing the subsequent sheets is a bit time consuming so I've only really had a chance to go through a couple of shots just to verify it was actually working. Nothing quite like a negative 8 inches by 10 inches in size :D

Here's the beasty itself, more notes on the flickr page if you click through.
    4300741225_a07ab3e199.jpg

Here are a couple of test shots:
    4300496432_3c3308759a.jpg

4300489848_8ca9cb33b0.jpg

Incidentally, taking shots of red flowers under tungsten light with B&W paper is never going to be an ideal situation ... 32 sec for one of them at f/4.5 :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Holy jaysus. How long did that take?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd like to see the bow-tie that USSR looking spy camera came from.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

If in doubt............use a rubber!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sineadw wrote: »
    Holy jaysus. How long did that take?

About 6 months or so all told. I'm lazy with this stuff though, I have a half finished 6x6 monorail view camera sitting in a box for the last 2 years (coincidentally ever since mark was born :rolleyes: ). You could sit down and do it over a weekend if you were sufficiently motivated.

I process the sheets in dilute DD-x (about 10+1 or so I think) by inspection under a safe light. As soon as something starts to turn completely black (ie, the highlights are blowing) I snatch it out and dump it into a water bath.
    Paper is incredibly contrasty and red-insensitive, some people recommend pre-flashing it for a couple of seconds before use so I'll have to try that. I still haven't had a chance to take shots in daylight with this though. One of the main things I envisaged it being used for was portraits. It should really shine ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Saw them on Flickr, they look great, can't wait to see what you'll get out of it from a few portraits tbh.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Saw them on Flickr, they look great, can't wait to see what you'll get out of it from a few portraits tbh.

That's the plan all right. Some lovely Ortho goodness. The problem is getting time to do it, and willing victims subject. Almost my entire family is due back from mexico this weekend. I think I'll head down and try and catch them while they're hungover and unable to resist. My Dad has blue eyes, he's got to look good taken on paper :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

When you say negitive, does that mean you are using a sheet of photo-paper that you'd use in a dark room for printing ?

Chorcai wrote: »
    When you say negitive, does that mean you are using a sheet of photo-paper that you'd use in a dark room for printing ?

Yep, box of jessops multigrade I got in their half price sale a few years ago. I load it into 8x10 film holders. It's a damn sight cheaper than shooting film. 8x10 B&W is bad enough, but check out the price of 8x10 colour film :eek:

Advertisement