Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God fathers - what is their role / responsibilities to the child?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Just wondering what are the responsibilities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

TBH - the only real responsibility these days is to buy the child a decent present for birthdays & Christmasses.

Traditionally, Godparents would have been picked to step in & fill the void should anything happen the parents, and also to help with the spiritual education of the child should the parents be unable to do so. I'm godmother to my six year old niece, and besides the Christening, I've never had any duties to do in relation to being a godmother. Unless being roped in to babysitting my sister's 4 kids comes under the obligations...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For me, this is a conversation that should happen when asking someone to be a godparent.

When I asked my best mate to be godfather to my daughter it didn't involve a christening so he asked me what I was asking him to do. My response to him was "If anything happens me, do your best to see that she's raised well. Oh, and you get to buy Rory her first surfboard and teach her to surf!".

It'll mean different things to different people so it's a good idea to make sure that the godparent knows what's being asked of them.

Advertisement