Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to renegotiate terms of existing loan?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm enquiring on behalf of a family member here, so please bear with me if more details are needed.
    A family memmber recently (Oct 2009) took out a loan for 15k for 5 years with the BOI. They have paid back €6500 through over payment, and pay back just under €350 a month repayments. They have payment protection on the loan, but as they were made redundant 2 weeks after taking on the loan, apperently it will not cover repayments. So, the questions they have are:
    1) is it possible to cancel the Payment protection since it's not actually much use?
    2) if they approach the bank about reducing the payments by about 100 euro a month, will they be considered or told where to go?

They're not having problems meeting the repayments yet, but would like to free up a little extra money in the event it's needed for something unexpected.
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

As far as I know, it is possible to cancel the payment protection policy at any time, and receive a refund of the premium paid, minus the amount due for the period of cover. If the loan is overpaid by about €6500, I can't imagine the bank will have a problem with reducing the payments, seeing as the loan is already ahead of itself.

Advertisement