Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Mocks ... how much are they worth?

• 24-01-2010 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Your opinions. :)
    Are they really all that? Should we really be putting our heads down and studying for these, or is your aim to get all the work done just in time for the Leaving?

I've been studying on and off. Freaking out a little about Maths and Biology though. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Just do your best and you'll find out where your poor and you can then work on that area. No need to worry about the mocks. Its the LC that matters, not the mocks. You'll be fine! I'm kinda screwed for Biology as well. I started studying last Tuesday in Biology. Dropped down to pass Maths last week, lovin' it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Well im trying to study but im expecting cramming before the exams to happen to me. I just really wanna pass everything and then work from there. My weakness will prob me maths and biology and maybe history.

But you gotto remember that for some subjects it wont be your correct mark cos of projects. Like in History and geography the projects wont be added into our mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Michelle993

Just do your best and you'll find out where your poor and you can then work on that area. No need to worry about the mocks. Its the LC that matters, not the mocks. You'll be fine! I'm kinda screwed for Biology as well. I started studying last Tuesday in Biology. Dropped down to pass Maths last week, lovin' it:D

I'm doing OL Maths too, it's just that I haven't looked at Math yet because I've been focusing on other subjects. :rolleyes:
    I don't think anyone's really taking them seriously at my school, but I'd like to at least pass everything, even if it is only the mocks. xD
    LovexxLife wrote: »
    Well im trying to study but im expecting cramming before the exams to happen to me. I just really wanna pass everything and then work from there. My weakness will prob me maths and biology and maybe history.

But you gotto remember that for some subjects it wont be your correct mark cos of projects. Like in History and geography the projects wont be added into our mark.

I always cram. xD
    I usually forget alot of what I've learned if I start it long before the exam.

When are yours? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Biology's my favourite subject and probably the one i'm least worried about! I like maths aswel but it's pretty tough. My teachers are telling us instead of trying to study everything and only getting bits and pieces right to focus on getting certain chapters completely right and focus on other chapters after the mocks.

Mine start friday for 2 weeks.
    But im off the 2 fridays cos none of my subjects are on them days so i get to stay at home:) and CRAM=)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The most valuable aspect of the mocks is to give you an idea of how your time management is.
    In terms of predicting results they're not great.

Biology's my favourite subject and probably the one i'm least worried about! I like maths aswel but it's pretty tough. My teachers are telling us instead of trying to study everything and only getting bits and pieces right to focus on getting certain chapters completely right and focus on other chapters after the mocks.

I really enjoy Biology too, but I find some of it really impossible. I think that taking into account we've had four different teachers didn't help either. xD

Mine start friday for 2 weeks.
    But im off the 2 fridays cos none of my subjects are on them days so i get to stay at home:) and CRAM=)

We have no breaks between ours whatsoever, except for the weekend. :/ Which is why I need to get all my cramming done now. :cool:
    spurious wrote: »
    The most valuable aspect of the mocks is to give you an idea of how your time management is.

Yeah, I think so too. English is going to be hell. :eek: So many essays to write in so little time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

spurious wrote: »

I'd totally agree that the most important aspect of the mocks is the time management aspect - you won't be doing a full paper again until the actual State exam. Getting the time management correct is crucial in many exams such as LC business, where it is quite easy to go over time in questions!

There is plenty of time to practise the questions, and learn off the material between now and the actual exams, so use these mocks as a guide, don't take the results completely as truth, becausem despite the best efforts of the companies involved, (there are more this year), they still can't completely replicate the state exams. You can see what sections of the paper that you may be weak on, and work on them. The corrections as well can be suspect at times, but more than likely this year, the corrections will be done by experienced teachers more than inexperienced teachers IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lcstudent

Have ye tryd mocks.ie? ive been using it too help me study for the real mocks. It made me realise that im not as bad off as I thought! :rolleyes: they let u know where ur goin wrong so u can see wat u can improve on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eeefa

I'm stressing out a little bit about them...I'm concentrating on some subjects more than others because I'm doing 9 and I can't work for them all so I'm concentrating on some to get me through...which I really shouldn't do but I want to do well.
    Yea going over on time is a big problem for me so I suppose that's most important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 acer_2010

I havn't started yet! My mocks are next week, am i screwed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

acer_2010 wrote: »
    I havn't started yet! My mocks are next week, am i screwed?

Haven't started yet either, twill be a long night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

You don't need to worry about the mocks. Just do you best and then when you get the papers back, you'll see what areas of each of the subjects you need to work on. Don't worry about what your teacher or parents will think-they're not the ones doing the exam. You're doing these for you, not them.

Also, don't cheat for the mocks, it won't help you at all. Some people who haven't been studying all along are using them as an escape route-it's cowardly in my opinion.

All in all, the mocks are a facility to help you see where you're at in terms of work put in by you and to practise timing:)

Can teachers make you drop down to another level if you fail or do really badly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Can teachers make you drop down to another level if you fail or do really badly?

No, but if you fail badly, I think you should listen to their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

No, it's up to you on the day to decide whether to take the honours or pass paper. But if you can't scrape 40% in the mocks, you'd need to start doing some serious work between now and June. And if get lower than 30% you really should be considering pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

My sisters in first year now and her maths teacher told the class if they got lower than 50 percent in a test this year they'd have to drop. The poor girls in her class are in a panic now worried they won't do well :( As otherrs have mentioned though you don't have to move down but if you're giving it a hundred percent and still not doing well then consider it.
    On the topic of mocks mine start Monday :eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

The thing about the mocks is try your best but, take it with a pinch of salt!

Advertisement