Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Netopia router problem

Options
  • 24-01-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

I've a Netopia 3347NWG router, and for the last ages, months, maybe even a year or so, it's been randomly disconnecting every few hours, and I have to turn on and off the router to get it to work again.

Few weeks ago I did a few things that I thought might help, I changed from a WEP password to a WPA, I changed the channel etc, but it didn't help at all. I was thinking of getting a range extender in the hopes that it might help (also because the internet doesn't reach one of the rooms in the house).

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be, or how to remedy it?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well the first thing you have to clarify is what's disconnecting? Is it the wireless signal to you pc/laptop or whatever or your actual internet connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

dub45 wrote: »
    Well the first thing you have to clarify is what's disconnecting? Is it the wireless signal to you pc/laptop or whatever or your actual internet connection?

I don't know exactly, the buttons on the router still flash, but all the laptops in the house's internets cuts out. The signal is still there, with 5 bars, but it won't connect anymore. Either it keeps loading until it comes up with the 'can't connect' screen, or it says 'connection timeout' (I'm using a mac).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I don't know exactly, the buttons on the router still flash, but all the laptops in the house's internets cuts out. The signal is still there, with 5 bars, but it won't connect anymore. Either it keeps loading until it comes up with the 'can't connect' screen, or it says 'connection timeout' (I'm using a mac).

Until you sort out what exactly is happening (or not happening as the case may be) you will not solve your problem.

Your internet connection may be dropping or you wireless signal my be dropping - you have to find out which.

The next time 'it' drops connect to the netopia by ethernet cable and then http://192.168.1.254 and see if yoiu are connected to the net and if you can get onto the web that way if you can then its a wireless problem - if you cant there you have may have a problem with your line quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

dub45 wrote: »
    Until you sort out what exactly is happening (or not happening as the case may be) you will not solve your problem.

Your internet connection may be dropping or you wireless signal my be dropping - you have to find out which.

The next time 'it' drops connect to the netopia by ethernet cable and then http://192.168.1.254 and see if yoiu are connected to the net and if you can get onto the web that way if you can then its a wireless problem - if you cant there you have may have a problem with your line quality.

Will do, cheers. I'll try that and get back to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've had a similar issue and solved temporarily it by repairing the wireless connection to the router from the lappy. Once I can see the router page 192.168.1.254 again I restarted connection.

Very occasional issue for me so haven't tried to find a fix.
    Netopia 3347NWG with software Version 7.5.0

• Advertisement
Advertisement