Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dilemma - need help.

• 24-01-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi - Hoping some people can answer some of my questions and offer some advice as I'm in a bit of a pickle...

I own a Seat Leon 02 - it has almost 150000 miles on the clock.

While driving home from work last Friday I lost some power in the car and the engine light kept flashing - I managed to get home thankfully. When I got out of the car I was convinced it was something to do with the exhaust as the noise from that area was very loud - the following morning I dropped the car to fastfit thinking it was a problem with the exhaust - they told me the exhaust was fine and there was a misfire in the engine - they pointed me in the direction of a garage around the corner telling me that I would need to get a diagnostics test run - so off I go to the garage, they run the test and tell me that one of the ignition coils needs to be replaced (this has happened to me with this car on 2 previous occasions) - when the new ignition coil was fitted their was no difference, he swapped a few of them around but still no change - he tells me that it's a problem with the ECU and it will cost me €650 including labour to get it fixed - car will be off the road for 3 days as the ECU has to be taken out of the car and sent away to be fixed. I decide to try and find another garage open to get a 2nd opinion without any success as it's a Saturday - mechanic assures me that they will only tell me the same thing.. I cut my loses and manage to get the car home - she is getting worse by the minute and is constantly cutting out - fast forward to tonight and now she won't even start after numerous attempts. Although it was not driving great before I dropped it to the mechanic, since he messed around swapping the coils she's deteriorated badly (the 2 might not necessarily be related I admit) - he told me it would be fine to drive for the rest of the week-end, it would just be running at 50% of it's normal capacity. yeah right !!

I was planning on hopefully driving the car to a nearby Seat garage in the morning but obviously I can't do that now. Does anybody know if my insurance company will tow it from outside my house to the garage free of charge?

The real dilemma comes from the fact that I'm not prepared to pay €650 to get their car fixed - since I bought the car 5 years ago I've spent a phenomenal amount of money on repairs - Clutch (twice), altenator, timing belt, major crash repairs - there are too many examples to list them all off.. I'm not prepared to keep throwing bad money after bad any longer...

I know if there is a problem with the ECU the repair work will cost almost 1K using a Seat dealer - the only reason I'm thinking of dropping it to a Seat garage for a 2nd opinion is because they're the experts and I'm hoping they will say it's nothing to do with the ECU and in fact something more minor and cheaper to fix.

If it turns out that the repairs will cost in excess of €650 I'm just going to cut my losses and give the car up for scrap. How do I go about doing this and will I receive any money?

I would appreciate any advice you can offer me.

Thanks
    EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

EireEV wrote: »
    I was planning on hopefully driving the car to a nearby Seat garage in the morning but obviously I can't do that now. Does anybody know if my insurance company will tow it from outside my house to the garage free of charge?

the bit I can help you with is this, if you have breakdown cover on your insurance, you need to check if it has homestart on it also, if so then they will come and tow you no problem to a local garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

What engine?
    You need to get it scanned properly with vag com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

i had a similar problem and changed coil pack but made no difference, someone suggested to spray wd40 into the plug lead and hey presto, good as new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

patrickc wrote: »
    the bit I can help you with is this, if you have breakdown cover on your insurance, you need to check if it has homestart on it also, if so then they will come and tow you no problem to a local garage.

Just wheel it down the road a bit and then call them if you dont have homestart :D

Advertisement