If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of some help with Philips DVDR5570H?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Hi Ash,
    Think this is the same model of DVDR that you and I spoke about in your shop close to a year ago. You were out of stock but advised that if I could pick one up somewhere that they were great. Well I did and its been fine up until recently.

First it started intermittently freezing during DVD playback, sometimes resuming, sometimes not. Now its started automatically starting to record from Ext 2, repeatedly at many times during the day. For example in the last 30 mins, I've had to stop it recording four times and power it off. Each time, its powered itself up again and started recording again. As far as I can determine, timers are not even set up on it so I can't figure why it keeps doing this.

The shop I bought it from are a bog-standard local household electrical shop, i.e. they sell a box containing a machine, no idea of how to trouble-shoot it. Before I bring it back and probably lose use of it for several weeks minimum, would either yourself or any of your fellow Philips experts have any idea of remedies I could try please?

Tanx,
    Dilbert75

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Hi Ash,
    Think this is the same model of DVDR that you and I spoke about in your shop close to a year ago. You were out of stock but advised that if I could pick one up somewhere that they were great. Well I did and its been fine up until recently.

First it started intermittently freezing during DVD playback, sometimes resuming, sometimes not. Now its started automatically starting to record from Ext 2, repeatedly at many times during the day. For example in the last 30 mins, I've had to stop it recording four times and power it off. Each time, its powered itself up again and started recording again. As far as I can determine, timers are not even set up on it so I can't figure why it keeps doing this.

The shop I bought it from are a bog-standard local household electrical shop, i.e. they sell a box containing a machine, no idea of how to trouble-shoot it. Before I bring it back and probably lose use of it for several weeks minimum, would either yourself or any of your fellow Philips experts have any idea of remedies I could try please?

Tanx,
    Dilbert75

Dilbert,

Apologies for the hassle on your 5570 - it really is a good machine so keep the faith!

Have you installed the latest firmware http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&slg=ENG&sct=DVD_HARDDISK_RECORDERS_SU&cat=PLAYERS_RECORDERS_CA&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&session=20100125090515_83.70.118.32&ctn=DVDR5570H/05&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software It's pretty old now ( September 2008 ) However it may be later than the firmware in your own machine and it may assist.

If all else fails and the retailer who you bought it from cannot assist you please don't hesitate to drop it into The Philips Shop and we will 110% have a look at it for you and do our best to get you sorted.

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi There Dilbert75

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your DVD Recorder.

I'd suggest you try loading the latest firmware onto the machine.
    Try this nice long link and it will take you there.....
    www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&slg=ENG&sct=DVD_HARDDISK_RECORDERS_SU&cat=PLAYERS_RECORDERS_CA&session=20100125090003_83.70.176.90&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=DVDR5570H/05&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software.

Hopefully its just a scrambled firmware issue, if so this should clear it up.

If its mechanical it will need to go off to the Philips Service centre - the main one is based in Cork.

Let me know how you get on with the update.

Cheers
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

I see John got in there first.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks Gents - I'll try the firmware update and see if it'll put manners on it. Failing that I'll go back to the retailer and try my luck.

OK firmware updated from 3.06 to 3.07. Let's see how it goes for the next week or so. Thanks again guys.

• Advertisement

No joy I'm afraid. It automatically recorded some footage again last night - there are now 28 recordings on the hard drive and 25 of them are these automatic recordings. As I type this, the red record light is on but the unit doesn't seem to be recording, as the display just says "browser". After all the bad luck I've had with Philips stuff at this stage, I'm beginning to think I should just stay away.:(

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    No joy I'm afraid. It automatically recorded some footage again last night - there are now 28 recordings on the hard drive and 25 of them are these automatic recordings. As I type this, the red record light is on but the unit doesn't seem to be recording, as the display just says "browser". After all the bad luck I've had with Philips stuff at this stage, I'm beginning to think I should just stay away.:(

Dil,

maybe you should let your retailer have a look at it as discussed earlier - or if they won't look at it (which I am sure they will) - as above WE have offered to try to get it sorted for you - if the unit is under warranty it also qualifies for the Philips home premium service (see your instruction manual for details) where a Philips Service rep will either talk you through the issue over the phone or arrange to have the unit collected from you at home.) However in the 1st instance I would give the dealer who sold it to you a shout and hopefully they will be able to sort it out for you.

BTW according to the manual when the display shows 'Browser' it means that the DVDR is in Media Browser mode.

Drop us an email to sales@richersounds.ie if we can assist - but if it was me I would give the retailer or the Premium home service line a call.

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.