Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parisian Secrets

• 24-01-2010 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Am off to Paris with the OH on Friday, and was wondering if anyone has any hidden gems of places that would be good for taking pictures -areas outside of the typical touristy ones would be great -industrial-y interest would be perfect, but anything's appreciated! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I loved walking the Rue Clare (sp) only wish I had a DSLR then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jacob81

Am off to Paris with the OH on Friday, and was wondering if anyone has any hidden gems of places that would be good for taking pictures -areas outside of the typical touristy ones would be great -industrial-y interest would be perfect, but anything's appreciated! :-)

I was in paris a few months ago.. I was struggling to get any nice photos & to see what all the hype was about Paris, I couldnt see any romance, sure the buildings are incredible & when I stood on the grand plazas of these huge building I realised how disappointed alot of Europeans must be when they come to Dublin.. It also occured to me how much our government wasted the money of the celtic tiger.. We have a spike and a bridge to show for it all!!

ANYWAYS, I rented a bike off the street(same set up as the new ones in Dublin) just before midnight at Place Charles De Gaulle(at the arc de triomphe) and cycled right across Paris to the Bastille district, via alexandere IV bridge down the Seine across the Islands etc.. Paris is much nicer late at night when all the other tourists are tucked up in bed.. The only thing is they knock off all the lights on the tourist buildings at 1am(possibly 2am).. which isnt a bad thing standing alone and taking in the louvre is amazing.. The pyramid lights were turned off and I wondered how many Parisians felt the pyramid ruined the Louvre.. I bet it looked much nicer without it.. Sat at Notre Dame.. Nobody in sight except for a couple of homeless guys and my camera taking 30 second exposures wondering how many people walked across that area since it was built many hundreds of years ago.. I think my bike rental cost about 8euro.. As I climbed into bed wreced at about 6am, I understood romantic Paris.. Next morning when I turned on my laptop I had my best set of photos of my life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Jacob81 wrote: »
    I stood on the grand plazas of these huge building I realised how disappointed alot of Europeans must be when they come to Dublin.. It also occured to me how much our government wasted the money of the celtic tiger.. We have a spike and a bridge to show for it all!!
    Jeasus stedy on!
    Dont know if you have spent any time walking around Dublin in recent years. I done so for he first time the other night and thought wow! well done. Dublin was a filthy kip when I worked there back in the late 80s. However a walk along the docks and up through temple bar amazed me. When the Docklands is finished it will be like a whole new city within a city. Paris has its slums on a much bigger scale than Dublin

We have really had only one boom and we were more in need of road upgrades, the Port tunnell, M1 and M50 than hideous building.

Also Bear in mind we never had the plundering ways of the French, neither will we ever have their wealth, we had to put up with being "colonized"

O.P. I found Paris one of the most over rated place I have been, however I do agree if you go out late in the evening there are plenty of nice place to get photos.

Advertisement