Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for getting garden ready for the summer?

Options
  • 24-01-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a suburban gardne that is approx 50ft long by 30ft wide and the rear of our house is South facing. we are in South Dublin so fairly temparate.

I have several sets of rellies visiting this June and would really like to have a garden in bloom for their visit.

Could I have your advice on how I get the following to bloom (June or at all) and also what else should I get)
    Here's what I have already:
    a large cherry blossom tree - which blooms for 3 weeks reliably at the end of April.
    A large Vibernum (it hides the compost bin!)
    2 lovely dwarf acers - a green palmatum and a red leaved 'normal' one.
    Arum lillies
    Large pink hydrangea, very well established, will flower July through to autumn
    small magnolia stellata (will flower in April and be fully leaved by June)
    Roses: Two small patio roses 'Sweet Dream' which will be in bloom and also 'Rosa Compassion' a climber - what can I do to get that to climb a lot (I only bought it this winter) and get it to flower?
    I also have:
    A v large watsonii - if i divide it will it stop it flowering this year - it is peach coloured, gorgeous, again flowers in July
    Very Large poppies - flowers in June and so far has thrived on neglect :D
    A tree peony - will flower in May but foliage will keep going - last year it was fab, I had moved it two years before and only got one flower but the scent is magical
    Angel's fishing rod - this won't flower until July I think.
    I have a rudbeckia also; I think this doesn't flower unitl June.
    I have a couple of other shrubs but can't think of what they are called suffice it to say they are various types of evergreens.

I have quite a few lillies in pots which haven't made it to flower for the past few years - I have some hemerocallis and a couple of crinums - what can I do to get them flowering? I presume they flower in the height of the summer?

I have some agapanthus, again in pots, I divided them last year because they didn't flower last year - how can I get them to flower this year? (Again do they flwoer in July).

Slugs and snails love my garden - however I've two small children - what can I use to really kill the b*ggers that isn't going to kill my children too?

Finally, what else can I get that a) will bloom in June and for longer b) is slug resistant and c) ideally will attract lots of butterflies and bees into the garden

If i plant begonias (which I love) how will I get them to flower?

For my pots, I usually fill them with annual bedding in late May - in order to establish them and have them looking great by June when should I plant them?

Finally, is there any sort of water feature that will be safe with two small children? Where can I get it? Or somehwere good for a decent garden bench?

I know I don't ask for much:rolleyes:

Mucho gratias in advance

Advertisement